follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Should the Toyota version of the FT-86 be a Scion or Toyota in North America?
Toyota 95 87.16%
Scion 14 12.84%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I also think the Scion TC should be the corolla coupe sport model (think Civic SI) and the Matrix a Corolla wagon. Let the Scion brand burn.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
^^^agreed
Old 01-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
Sea1monkey2

Drives: 2003 Impala
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Okay, time to confess, I have the lone scion vote. I don't really see a downside to it being under scion badging. Still the same people designing and still the same level of craftsmanship. I personally like the amount of factory options and aftermarket variety that the scion badging would give me. It would be nice to be able to pick and choose the things that are in my car. Also, all of the exterior badging will be removed anyways so it doesn't really make much else of a difference to me in that regard.
Sea1monkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #18
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Im sure within a few posts you'll understand.
blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #19
DanZilla

Drives: 05 New Formula Red Honda S2000
Send a message via AIM to DanZilla
Clearly I am outnumbered, looks like my scion xb will be alone forever LoL
Old 01-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
Kids Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea1monkey2 View Post
Okay, time to confess, I have the lone scion vote. I don't really see a downside to it being under scion badging. Still the same people designing and still the same level of craftsmanship. I personally like the amount of factory options and aftermarket variety that the scion badging would give me. It would be nice to be able to pick and choose the things that are in my car. Also, all of the exterior badging will be removed anyways so it doesn't really make much else of a difference to me in that regard.
The down side is a lack of legacy. If Scion ends up failing which it has a strong chance of doing, there is no telling if it is worth it to Toyota North America to transfer the FT-86 brand to Toyota. If it is marketed as a Toyota, despite sales numbers it will attract people to the lot for them to sell boring Corollas and Camrys.

This is why companies have sports cars up front.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
The down side is a lack of legacy. If Scion ends up failing which it has a strong chance of doing, there is no telling if it is worth it to Toyota North America to transfer the FT-86 brand to Toyota. If it is marketed as a Toyota, despite sales numbers it will attract people to the lot for them to sell boring Corollas and Camrys.

This is why companies have sports cars up front.
There is something to this. Look at the poor Solstice/Sky. Decent sports car, but it died with the brands that carried it.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
I have a new found position on this now.

I say BOTH.

Create the Toyota version with a Boxer STI motor with the claimed 300hp or whatever. But if they create a Scion version with a Toyota 4banger in it, priced it lower....that will be the one I will buy. If they shove the newer 2ar into it (180hp/173tq), I would drool and then boost it and it would be sex for me every time I stepped foot in it. Because all I would need would be 8lbs of boost and I would be making 300 at the wheels.

So, if there was a Both option, I would have selected that. But there is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZilla View Post
Clearly I am outnumbered, looks like my scion xb will be alone forever LoL

I have a tC obviously.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #23
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
I'm going to bump this, because I'm getting really nervous.

Apologies ahead of time for the coming rant...

Many of you know my loving embrace of the Scion brand (that sarcasm, for those that missed my previous anti-Scion spazzes...) but I'm losing faith in corporate decision-making abilities.

This is obviously pure, negative speculation, but I've been negative everywhere lately...

This is coming from the completely non-sensical decisions being made by my work's corporate. Logic isn't the factor sometimes, and ego and pride can drive things in utterly the wrong direction. And when that happens more often than not the failure is just cut loose, and hands are washed instead of being repaired.

I'm terrified that a type of argument/power-struggle is taking place within Toyota North America regarding what to do with Scion. And a 'revitalize Scion' camp is the louder more stubborn side, but ultimately not seeing the future reality. (Bye-bye, Toyota's Saturn...)

What my waking nightmare foresees is this:

In the US and Canada, there is only the Scion fRS. (Wait it gets worse.) And its only motor is the new (standard, low-revving, 170 hp) FB25 that will be shared throughout the Subaru line. This is done for cost considerations, and to leech a bit of publicity from the drifting version (see below). 2.5L Boxer motor just like the Formula D one! (but not really...)

It will be spammed throughout the industry, given to shops, to build versions (and cred') of it, like they did with Scion's initial launch. This will be where the EJ257 rumours are originating from, as the companies will not have enough time to build the brand new motor. So to impress the jaded North American market with huge HP numbers, they will instead swap in a known quantity with the old turbo EJ.

And the North American market will be given the options that they give with the tC: Deal with the utilitarium, ho-hum, motor (torquey and easy to drive) and be happy that it looks the same as Tanner Foust's EJ257-powered racing drift machine. Or go Dragonitti's route and DIY. Throwing more money at what was promised to be an 'economical' sports car. Yes it will eventually be an Epic car with enough mods, Scion or not. But that wasn't supposed to be the point.

Meanwhile, as I suffer a stroke or aneurysm over this horrible news, the stake through my heart will be looking at the 'World' market car, with its 2.0L Yamaha/D4-s rev happy 200+ HP NA motor, deemed too 'peaky' for the North American market. Thanks again Toyota! (232 HP 6500 rpm 7MGTE North America, vs 280 HP 7000 rpm Yamaha-tuned 1JZGTE not North America.)

Yeah, it's another rant against Scion. But I don't know why, but I feel like it has a good chance of turning out this way. At least without the question of 'What is Subaru doing with their version?' answered.

I'm going stir crazy waiting... When's the Geneva show?

Because titanium.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #24
Kids Heart

Oh it gets worse. When the FR-S sales numbers fail to impress, the reality sets in that Scion will be scrapped, the FT-86 will be considered a failure and will not receive further production in North America.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #25
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
Oh it gets worse. When the FR-S sales numbers fail to impress, the reality sets in that Scion will be scrapped, the FT-86 will be considered a failure and will not receive further production in North America.
Yeah, that was what my 'Toyota's Saturn' comment was about...

Because titanium.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #26
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
while i think the scion rumors are true as well, i really hope they don't dumb down the engine just to give it a scion-esque price tag. i mean, i don't mind that they have a low power engine standard as long as the high performance engine is available as an option, but giving the rest of the world the high performance engine while giving the north american market a torquey low rev motor would be a disaster. why would you need that much torque in a lightweight car?
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #27
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
while i think the scion rumors are true as well, i really hope they don't dumb down the engine just to give it a scion-esque price tag. i mean, i don't mind that they have a low power engine standard as long as the high performance engine is available as an option, but giving the rest of the world the high performance engine while giving the north american market a torquey low rev motor would be a disaster. why would you need that much torque in a lightweight car?
Honestly, I don't care if the stock motor is detuned for the US to save money so long as we get the exact same JDM 2.0l flat-4 engine. Worse case scenario we can order the performance parts from the Land of the Rising Sun but hopefully the high output engine is offered or at least can be special ordered. Then at least we wouldn't be stuck with a torquey sedan engine wishing we could have ordered one with the true engine.

I really want the boxer :.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #28
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Honestly, I don't care if the stock motor is detuned for the US to save money so long as we get the exact same JDM 2.0l flat-4 engine. Worse case scenario we can order the performance parts from the Land of the Rising Sun but hopefully the high output engine is offered or at least can be special ordered. Then at least we wouldn't be stuck with a torquey sedan engine wishing we could have ordered one with the true engine.

I really want the boxer :.
Economically the same upcoming motor that will be in the Legacy, Impreza, and Forester (the 2.5L 170hp version) would make the most sense. As would it for the 'Suzy Secretary' drivers that will be buying this car for looks. Toyota went this way already when it went away from the 2ZZGE in favour of the 2AZFE in the XRS Matrix and Corolla.

There's an old saying that people buy horsepower but drive torque. A torquey 170 HP in a reasonably light car will 'feel' like a rocket to a lot of people. But it won't 'be' as much of a rocket when driven harder than most (the commuting masses) drivers do.

Nor will it scream beautiful music.

The commuting masses also generally equate larger numbers with better engines. If they go for mass market appeal (which they will need if they want to 'revitalize' Scion), the FB25 is the logical choice. And the numbers will look good when cross-shopping a Miata or something.

And marketing/sales types will not like the idea of having to sell a smaller 2.0L as an upgrade to a 2.5L to the North American market. Europe and Japan seem to have no problem understanding the difference between a small performance motor and a larger utilitarian motor.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've just been in a pessimistic mood lately. Hopefully this is just ridiculous on my part...

Because titanium.