follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Edelbrock vs Jackson Racing

Hey all,

Just wanted to preface this a bit, i have a 2015 brz. all i have are cosmetic upgrades and tein flex z, SPL LCA, and 17x9 rpf1. my next step was to go FI and i thought it came down to JRSC vs edelbrock. after reading many reviews i thought both kits were great, similar power numbers at CARB, similar in most aspects. was under the impression that JRSC was more track oriented and and edelbrock was better for someone just DD (like myself) i do not intend to track, or even auto x. just your occasional spirited driving and cruising through some canyons.

recently, i spoke with a local vendor (i will not name the vendor) who told me the following about why i should just JRSC over the edelbrock. He said that not only does the edelbrock make 50hp less than JRSC, but it is also less reliable, 5-6 less MPG and the intercooler system on the edelbrock isn't as good as the JRSC. Oh and yes the edelbrock isn't CARB legal yet.

Ive already read many threads on both kits and i was under the impression that both had similar MPG loss, similar power, and i thought the edelbrock was j just as reliable. can anyone chime in on this? thanks

John
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JGalp For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (04-06-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
paging @CSG Mike
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
JGalp

^ haha seriously. i have already spoken extensively with david and mike about the edelbrock and from reading all the other threads on both kits, to hear this from a pretty well known vendor kinda surprised me.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
JGalp

maybe theres a wider margin of profit on the JRSC O.o
Old 04-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
JGalp

@shiumai hows your experience with edelbrock?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
@shiumai hows your experience with edelbrock?
It's exactly what I wanted for a daily driver that I don't track or autocross, but do the occasional canyon run.

"not only does the edelbrock make 50hp less than JRSC..." - you've seen the dyno charts and know that's not true, for an apples-apples comparison (same gas, stock pulleys etc). if the vendor is comparing a flex-fuel setup on the JRSC with smaller pulley to the stock edelbrock, then whatever.

i saw a 2-3 mpg drop after installing the edelbrock. however, my driving habits have also changed, utilizing that boost now that i have it.

as for reliability, only time can tell. IMHO it's too early to say that anything is reliable until it's in more widespread use with more adopters and miles driven.

Last edited by shiumai; 04-05-2016 at 09:26 PM.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (04-07-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
JGalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
It's exactly what I wanted for a daily driver that I don't track or autocross, but do the occasional canyon run.

"not only does the edelbrock make 50hp less than JRSC..." - you've seen the dyno charts and know that's not true, for an apples-apples comparison (same gas, stock pulleys etc). if the vendor is comparing a flex-fuel setup on the JRSC with smaller pulley to the stock edelbrock, then whatever.

i saw a 2-3 mpg drop after installing the edelbrock. however, my driving habits have also changed, utilizing that boost now that i have it.

as for reliability, only time can tell. IMHO it's too early to say that anything is reliable until it's in more widespread use with more adopters and miles driven.
that's everything ive heard about it, and ive heard the JRSC is very reliable but yea the samet hing about edelbrock. they are all fairly new and not enough of them out there to really deem them reliable but as far as I know they are way more reliable the other S/C kits out there which are having a bunch of malfunctions.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 AM   #8
cgjeff

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Although I ordered the JRSC kit, I cannot imagine a company with an amazing reputation like Edelbrock would produce nothing but a top notch kit. For me, it was more about design and simple install that swayed me to the JR kit... plus knowing they have been around for so many years.

Considering the dyno numbers being posted on both kits... gonna be happy with whatever you decided to purchase.
cgjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cgjeff For This Useful Post:
Itsjusdame (12-03-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:58 AM   #9
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have an edelbrock, and while I might be a special case (so I'm told) I've had problems with the kit, mostly with the provided tune, possibly more though. There is really no good reason for all the problems, my car was 100% stock and well taken care of and practically brand new (13k light miles). Even after lots and lots of time logging and playing with different tunes it's still got some funky quirks, and it has power loss just like a turbo when the outside temps are higher, very noticeable. I'm talking about using California 91 pump gas here, not flex fuel or 92/93 octane. It's been months and there is still no EO number for CARB, I'm wondering if it'll really happen. I do like the power when it's actually providing it, the power band great for DD, but for the money and hassle I think I wouldn't do it again. I have no idea about the JRSC, but I can't imagine it being worse. It seems all the people who stand to benefit from selling these kits are the ones saying it's great and there are no problems, I call BS personally. I've met enough people online and offline with many issues both different and similar to mine, so I can definitely say there is a lot of hype on here about how well the kits work in real life. I'm learning modifying your car is the same as it was 20 years ago, if you go messing with it then it's not going to be as smooth or reliable as OEM. YMMV, this was just my experience. Good Luck!
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (04-06-2016), CxG (05-08-2018), funwheeldrive (08-21-2017), Itsjusdame (12-03-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:24 AM   #10
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm also in the same boat as you, both companies provide a great kit but I'm leaning slightly towards JRSC for the following reasons:

Ease of install, the Edelbrock kit is a lot more involved. Edelbrock does provide the better set of instructions, with color-coding and nut/bolt sizes for almost every step. I can definitely see myself installing the JRSC with just myself within a day, but I would need a helper for the Edelbrock kit to lower the blower onto the intake manifold without destroying the gasket.

This also ties into the simplicity of the system. Although the Edelbrock kit looks almost OEM, the JRSC has a simpler install with less potential points of failure, which leads to less time troubleshooting if a problem were to occur.

Lastly is the CARB cerification and tune. I wouldn't buy the Edelbrock kit unless they have fully completed CARB certification and the CARB approved sticker came in the kit. The JRSC has been out for longer and the general consensus is that the CARB tune is very refined. The presence of tuning hiccups with the Edelbrock kit pops up once in a while, with some of the problems associated with wonky values provided by other tuning companies. This could be due to it being a new product and tuners are still getting acquianted with the kit.

All in all, both companies make great kits and you can't go wrong with either. I've elaborated on why I would choose JRSC, but I don't want to discount the Edelbrock kit that is also great, with just a few hiccups that can be any combination of installation or tuning error that I would rather not have to deal with if I wanted a daily drivable FI setup. Although I wouldn't boost your DD unless you have a backup car/plan.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #11
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
I have an edelbrock, and while I might be a special case (so I'm told) I've had problems with the kit, mostly with the provided tune, possibly more though. There is really no good reason for all the problems, my car was 100% stock and well taken care of and practically brand new (13k light miles). Even after lots and lots of time logging and playing with different tunes it's still got some funky quirks, and it has power loss just like a turbo when the outside temps are higher, very noticeable. I'm talking about using California 91 pump gas here, not flex fuel or 92/93 octane. It's been months and there is still no EO number for CARB, I'm wondering if it'll really happen. I do like the power when it's actually providing it, the power band great for DD, but for the money and hassle I think I wouldn't do it again. I have no idea about the JRSC, but I can't imagine it being worse. It seems all the people who stand to benefit from selling these kits are the ones saying it's great and there are no problems, I call BS personally. I've met enough people online and offline with many issues both different and similar to mine, so I can definitely say there is a lot of hype on here about how well the kits work in real life. I'm learning modifying your car is the same as it was 20 years ago, if you go messing with it then it's not going to be as smooth or reliable as OEM. YMMV, this was just my experience. Good Luck!
Pretty much the same with me. All I ever got was a run around with the partys involved blaming the other ones. Bottom line is my edelbrock supercharged car after 2 or3 months and more shops and so called experts than I care to mention is still not right. All total I'm into to it over $14,000 now and it still won't come to a stop with out dying.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
clayrush (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 03:24 AM   #12
JGalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Pretty much the same with me. All I ever got was a run around with the partys involved blaming the other ones. Bottom line is my edelbrock supercharged car after 2 or3 months and more shops and so called experts than I care to mention is still not right. All total I'm into to it over $14,000 now and it still won't come to a stop with out dying.
@86fun

and this is with the CARB tune?? these two posts right here make me very worried..why isnt there any support from edelbrock or the shops you installed it at to fix these problems? or did you guys install it yourself. if i got it installed on mine i wo uld do it as CSG and they have said nothing but good things about both kits..i cant imagine david or mike not being able to help me if i install it with them.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:13 AM   #13
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
Hey all,

recently, i spoke with a local vendor (i will not name the vendor) who told me the following about why i should just JRSC over the edelbrock. He said that not only does the edelbrock make 50hp less than JRSC, but it is also less reliable, 5-6 less MPG and the intercooler system on the edelbrock isn't as good as the JRSC. Oh and yes the edelbrock isn't CARB legal yet.

John
Wow - LIES!!! How anyone can say that about 2 of the best kits out for this car... I would never give them my money!

Both are top notch stuff, but make power in different ways!
clayrush (04-06-2016), EJ. (06-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 05:05 AM   #14
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
We went with edelbrock mainly because of my girlfriend's driving stile. Partly do to old habits and not wanting to hit redline and partly wanting to have nice low/mid power. It's very pleasing to just mash the gas in any gear at any speed and accelerate at a pace that puts a grin on your face. We did one track day with the car so far. We dont even come close to pushing it at our level. Other than dealing with some cold start issues on e85, in the short time we have had installed all has been well.

That being said. If the frs was my car I would have bought the Jackson kit. Because I feel it would match my stile a needs a bit more. I am currently working with my shop to build a custom rotrex supercharger system for my celica.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clayrush For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (04-06-2016)