follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #99
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
I believe I saw you and your Supra at Gridlife Mid-Ohio this weekend. Your time was pretty quick. 1:33 or something like that.

If I had to do it all over again and I had to choose between the supra and brz I'd choose the Supra without hesitation. Jackie Ding has proven that drivetrain can take a beating without many issues.

My BRZ is very similar in setup to yours, turbo, full interior, etc. while I don't hold out many records in 86cup or GTA (because I never entered nor cared to do so since I was the only unlimited car in 86cup and don't do GTA right now) and primarily run at Gridlife events, the BRZ can be a very potent car as long as the driver behind the wheel is experienced and is setup well. Many times have I thrown down seconds faster of lap times compared to supras at the track just because the drivers were still trying to "catchup" to their car if you know what I mean.

I think I can get over the fact that the supra is auto only, but I'll hang on to my manual as long as I can. I'm fortunate enough to have just one car that I can track and compete with, can't imagine having two. Too much stress maintenance wise. With that being said, I'll most likely be keeping my brz for as long as I can.

I'll see ya out at GTA one day!
The downfall of the Supra is it's weight. I was 3561lbs with 2/3 of a tank of fuel (~4.7gal from full) when I weighed at Gridlife.

If you can make the power, I think the BRZ's ceiling is still higher. Additionally the BRZ's consumable cost is far, far lower than the Supra.

Based on speeds observed and datalogs, I was only making ~400whp due to the roughly 3500DA on a stock turbo. I'm 100% certain my BRZ would have been faster in identical conditions.

The data shows a 1:31 is well within reach using just a 2 sector predictive, but was never obtained due to either traffic or driver error. By the end of day 2, the tires were dropping off quite a bit, and only exacerbated by me driving full sessions, since I'd never driven the track before.

I suspect your car is very badly classed in SM, similar to mine. I definitely didn't get a Supra to be complaining about V8 Miatas/WRX/STI/Vettes/Mustangs be motoring me on the straights. On the back straight, I typically would be ~87-89mph at the track-out berm, and see a vmax of 148-149 braking at about the 375 marker.

I was on 275 RT660, mostly because I couldn't get any A052 or CR1 on time. Fairly certain seeing 160+ tire temps on my drive out through the desert for 2 days didn't help either, but that's all part of the "drive your car to the track" package.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (09-21-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #100
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The downfall of the Supra is it's weight. I was 3561lbs with 2/3 of a tank of fuel (~4.7gal from full) when I weighed at Gridlife.

If you can make the power, I think the BRZ's ceiling is still higher. Additionally the BRZ's consumable cost is far, far lower than the Supra.

Based on speeds observed and datalogs, I was only making ~400whp due to the roughly 3500DA on a stock turbo. I'm 100% certain my BRZ would have been faster in identical conditions.

The data shows a 1:31 is well within reach using just a 2 sector predictive, but was never obtained due to either traffic or driver error. By the end of day 2, the tires were dropping off quite a bit, and only exacerbated by me driving full sessions, since I'd never driven the track before.

I suspect your car is very badly classed in SM, similar to mine. I definitely didn't get a Supra to be complaining about V8 Miatas/WRX/STI/Vettes/Mustangs be motoring me on the straights. On the back straight, I typically would be ~87-89mph at the track-out berm, and see a vmax of 148-149 braking at about the 375 marker.
I agree. Gridlife streetmod class is essentially what's the max amount of HP these tires (size/width wise) can take following the aero rules. My BRZ makes about 330whp. According to my data my top speed on the back straight going into china beach was only 135 braking in between the 2 and 3rd cone setup. As a regular competitor in this class and org, that's what most people aim for. highest horsepower the tire size can handle.

My tires were also another limiting factor as well as driver error. The tires I'm running have seen 5+ gridlife weekend events and 3 other hpde weekends. very well heat cycled out despite showing tread left. Some fresh tires would have easily helped.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #101
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
I agree. Gridlife streetmod class is essentially what's the max amount of HP these tires (size/width wise) can take following the aero rules. My BRZ makes about 330whp. According to my data my top speed on the back straight going into china beach was only 135 braking in between the 2 and 3rd cone setup. As a regular competitor in this class and org, that's what most people aim for. highest horsepower the tire size can handle.

My tires were also another limiting factor as well as driver error. The tires I'm running have seen 5+ gridlife weekend events and 3 other hpde weekends. very well heat cycled out despite showing tread left. Some fresh tires would have easily helped.
My tires are almost at the wear bar from just the Gridlife event. For all intents and purposes, the drive to/from the event was only a cycle, not wear, since I run very little toe.

#supraproblems
Old 08-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #102
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My tires are almost at the wear bar from just the Gridlife event. For all intents and purposes, the drive to/from the event was only a cycle, not wear, since I run very little toe.

#supraproblems
That's pretty disgusting. Consumables is one of the biggest things keeping me from even playing with the idea of a Supra.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #103
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
That's pretty disgusting. Consumables is one of the biggest things keeping me from even playing with the idea of a Supra.
Consumables is probably the one single factor keeping people like me out of a Supra or Porsche Cayman. I'd readily pivot into a GR86 or Miata because of this alone.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:00 AM   #104
CSG Mike

Quote:
The FK8 is worse on consumables than a Supra.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:13 AM   #105
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
The FK8 is worse on consumables than a Supra.
Really? Good to know.. I thought I was doing alright with what I was spending, but then again, I don't have access to a Supra to properly compare.

I must not be going to enough events!
Old 08-24-2021, 02:31 AM   #106
CSG Mike

Quote:
Really? Good to know.. I thought I was doing alright with what I was spending, but then again, I don't have access to a Supra to properly compare.

I must not be going to enough events!
Well, this is assuming you're not overheating your FK8. The supra doesn't overheat out of the box, and won't overheat even with full bolt-ons.

Tire cost on the Supra is lower than the 20's on the FK8, as well as going through them at a lower rate.

The supra's stock brake pads are nearly twice the size of the FK8 stock pad. Additionally not only are the brakes larger, they're also higher in brake:weight ratio.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #107
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Well, this is assuming you're not overheating your FK8. The supra doesn't overheat out of the box, and won't overheat even with full bolt-ons.

Tire cost on the Supra is lower than the 20's on the FK8, as well as going through them at a lower rate.

The supra's stock brake pads are nearly twice the size of the FK8 stock pad. Additionally not only are the brakes larger, they're also higher in brake:weight ratio.
Yeah.... I have no extra cooling mods yet, but when I start, I'll be emulating the builds from the guys in Cali.

Truthfully, I run more cooldown laps than hot laps at the moment for fear of limp mode. I'm not running any sort of data acquisition, so I'm not trying to make my life hard by just beating on the car for 20 min+, especially at an ambient around or above 25 Celsius and zero cooling mods. I do however have a habit of melting my wheel centre caps lol. I'm just a dude trying to learn what I can without blowing up my car

Tire cost not too worried about as that's something I'll be changing, just not this season. The 18 inch wheel options kind of really suck unless you have some decently sized pockets though. I have no plans on running ET 38 like all these "flush" guys, nor do I really want to jump over to 18x9.5 +45.. I just want some +50 +53 +55 wheels with either 8.5 or 9 width at a price I don't need to take out a mortgage for wheels.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #108
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.box.design View Post
Consumables is probably the one single factor keeping people like me out of a Supra or Porsche Cayman. I'd readily pivot into a GR86 or Miata because of this alone.
Consumables on a Cayman aren't bad. Not sure why you think/thought otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #109
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Consumables on a Cayman aren't bad. Not sure why you think/thought otherwise.
Cayman are much easier on tires, but go through brakes rather quickly. Of course the "easy" fix is to get brakes from a higher trim, but it's definitely not cheap!
Old 08-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #110
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Nobody serious tracks the CTR on 20's, everyone runs 18's. Front brake pads are gone in three track days.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #111
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah.... I have no extra cooling mods yet, but when I start, I'll be emulating the builds from the guys in Cali.

Truthfully, I run more cooldown laps than hot laps at the moment for fear of limp mode. I'm not running any sort of data acquisition, so I'm not trying to make my life hard by just beating on the car for 20 min+, especially at an ambient around or above 25 Celsius and zero cooling mods. I do however have a habit of melting my wheel centre caps lol. I'm just a dude trying to learn what I can without blowing up my car

Tire cost not too worried about as that's something I'll be changing, just not this season. The 18 inch wheel options kind of really suck unless you have some decently sized pockets though. I have no plans on running ET 38 like all these "flush" guys, nor do I really want to jump over to 18x9.5 +45.. I just want some +50 +53 +55 wheels with either 8.5 or 9 width at a price I don't need to take out a mortgage for wheels.
I have a set of 5x120 OZ 18.8.5 +55 that came off my FK8. I've sold the car and no longer need the wheels. PM me if you're interested. I'm in MN. Probably won't ship.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #112
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

#supraproblems
I forgot to ask you and seeing your name pop up on facebook made me remember to ask you. When you said both our BRZs are not classed well for SM, what would you do differently do your BRZ to make it more competitive?
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote