follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Qi Wireless Charging in BRZ/FR-S/GT86 Center Console

Whelp, I did it, I added Wireless Charging to the center console of my BRZ. This is a DIY idea that I've been excited about doing because we just got 2 new Android phones with built in Wireless Charging capabilities. And, since I use the free hotspot on my phone (T-mobile if you're wondering) to give my Ca-Fi HU internet connection, this wireless charging keeps my phone from draining without having to plug in every time I hop in the car, I just drop and go. The project really wasn't all that complicated or difficult, just takes a bit of time getting the console out, but it's easier to put back on once you understand how the process goes. So without further adieu, here's my proof of concept:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFKxfmDwmQ0"]Qi Wireless Charging in a Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

So, now that I've got you hooked, let's continue.
First, the materials:

(The one I bought) 3-coil Qi barebones charging board: [ame]http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M7O6Y0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Any of these 3-coil ones should work though:http://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-a...qi+charger+diy

12v DC to 5v (3a) Micro-USB step down converter: [ame]http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KUNPJS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

3M Super Strength Molding tape

Clear Liquid Nails

Solder & Soldering Iron (or wire taps if you prefer)

Tools (Phillips Screwdriver set and Socket Set and wire stripper)

Disposable Gloves

OK, here we go!

First things first, we need to get the entire center console out, I used the pictures and guide in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53511
Should be pretty straightforward, once you get it out of the car and somewhere you can work on it we can continue.

Now, flip over your center console and locate the area in the console you want to place your charging coils, I wanted it closer to the front of the cubby. Be sure to take your phone or phone back and approximate the location of your phone's receiving coils in the cubby so you can line up the charger as best as possible on the other side to enable an easy connection every time you place your phone. *Note, there was a small bump right under where I wanted to place the coil, so I just took my dremel and sanded that area down completely flat (you can shave it off any number of ways if you want to put your coil there, but the dremel took seconds, then I smoothed it out by hand, sorry I don't have pictures of that).*

When you know where you want to place your coils load the one side up with Liquid Nails (as well as the PCBA) and stick it down, apply pressure for a number of seconds and make sure it's secure, once it drys it really won't be going anywhere. I opted to place the coil side up (when installed in car) right up against the plastic of the console so it could be as close to the phone as possible. This also keeps the PCBA away from the coils in case of interference or heat and allows you to tuck the USB cable you'll attach to it up under the styrofoam (I'll come back to this).

Now that your coils are in place and setting up, it's time to tap our power. Take the step down converter and strip enough of the red and black cables to work with. You'll be attaching the red cable to the center screw on the 12v cig outlet. Carefully use a socket or wrench to remove the nut at the center of the cig outlet, but be careful as shit will fall apart if you don't stick something up into the outlet to push on the screw from the other side. I stuffed some double-sided tape up in there and held with my finger, 2 people would make this easier but as long as you get something to hold that screw in you'll be fine, and even if it falls out it's not hard to put back together, just annoying. Once the nut is off get rid of the washer and screw the nut back on just enough to keep it on the threads. Then wrap your red wire around the screw like you would with speaker wire, and tighten the nut back on. The nut will hold your red wire securely in place and your wire will now have power.

The black wire's a little trickier as there isn't anything to really hold it to, what you need to do is solder it to the ground connector tab (the fatter one on top when the console is laying upside down). You could tap into the black ground wire going to the cig back in the car, or attach to a bolt somewhere, but I like all my wires neatly arranged together. The soldering here is very minimal and shouldn't be too much trouble with the right solder. Just make sure the tab has enough neck where the connector can still slide right on. I attached the box right below (or above when installed in car) the cig outlet with 2 strips of molding tape, just be sure to clean off all areas when taping or liquid nailing for the most secure adhesion, that sucker's not going anywhere.

Now you can take that USB cord and tuck it under the styrofoam side pads and back up to the Qi port. But before you do that, let's test it out to make sure we're working. Our coil comes with an LED light that goes from red (not connected) to blue (connected and charging). So I flipped over the console and left the LED sticking out so I could see. I plugged in the Qi charger to a wall outlet and the red light came on.

Now, let's place the phone where we normally would, I also put back the rubber mat, which helps with grip and keeping the phone in place. Blue LED lights up, phone makes Qi sound and shows that it is currently charging wirelessly.

Moving the phone to the back of the cubby, well off the coils results in a disconnection just as it should.

Let's try it with the 12v flap open and the phone a little farther back.

Good, now how about flipping the phone in the opposite position.

Success on all fronts! At this point I'm a happy camper
I decided to snip the LED wires from the PCBA though, because I have no use for the LEDs in the car, no real place I'd want them, you're free to do with them what you please. So now let's start putting it back in the car, but before we secure everything back together, let's hook up the 12v socket and turn the car on ACC for one final test.

Works the same in the car, now I have a magical charging cubby for my phone with no wires or anything showing. And yes, the 12v socket still works the same as before.

I hope you enjoyed this DIY as much as I did, and if you have any questions or requests don't hesitate to ask, enjoy and happy modding!

Last edited by Deathalo; 01-20-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Deathalo For This Useful Post:
BRZprime (11-07-2014), charged86 (09-29-2014), drewbot (09-09-2014), fstlane (10-06-2014), IShouldStudy (10-17-2014), JARE_ee (09-16-2014), l0aded (10-14-2014), ML (09-10-2014), Namuna (09-10-2014), NJ10 (09-26-2014), SloS14 (11-21-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Awesome work man!

Defintely going to do this when I get a new phone
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
Deathalo (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
SquidyTweak

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Still room for the cup holder?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
SquidyTweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidyTweak View Post
Still room for the cup holder?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Honestly depends on the size of your phone, the wireless charging won't make a difference, so you could still put the cup holder tray in there.

We have a Nexus 5 and LG G3 though, which are both too big to be set there with the dual cup holder insert. I'm thinking of making a single cup holder insert out of my dual, that would fit just fine. I'm also about to turn the side door bottle holders into useable cup holders with some A/C high density insulating foam, might do a write up on that if it turns out nice.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
This is awesome @WhiteFRS69
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
Deathalo (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
this is awesome!!!! damn this is kinda tempting to do
nice work man!

@STV3 i regret selling all my phones now

WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFRS69 For This Useful Post:
Deathalo (09-10-2014), Trap63 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Fantastic idea!

For another layer of technical awesomeness, I'd suggest using micro-suction tape to hold the phone in place:

For folks unfamiliar with it, microsuction tape has microscopic sized suction cups to adhere to objects placed against it...Which means it will hold the object securely like you're using tape, but is reusable because they're tiny suction cups!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-AirStick-Microsuction-250mmx300mm/dp/B00ITX9OU2"]Amazon.com: Sewell Direct AirStick Microsuction Tape[/ame]
Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
Fantastic idea!

For another layer of technical awesomeness, I'd suggest using micro-suction tape to hold the phone in place:

For folks unfamiliar with it, microsuction tape has microscopic sized suction cups to adhere to objects placed against it...Which means it will hold the object securely like you're using tape, but is reusable because they're tiny suction cups!

Amazon.com: Sewell Direct AirStick Microsuction Tape
Oh, interesting, might try it out if I notice my phone sliding around. The rubber mat seems to hold our phones fine with the cases we have, but I'm about to order the slim guard case for my G3, so I'll see how that fares and remember your suggestion
Old 09-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
kingnba6

Drives: 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
very nice. i thought about doing this aswell. the only thing that was holding me back was that i have an iphone lol
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
very nice. i thought about doing this aswell. the only thing that was holding me back was that i have an iphone lol
Yeah I was actually shocked Apple didn't include wireless charging in the new iPhone 6, too bad, time to actually upgrade to to android then...
The Following User Says Thank You to Deathalo For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
jdowski666

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ 04 WRB STi
Awesome! Thanks for the write up.
jdowski666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
Floggin Tires

Drives: ZC6, Junk of ALL sorts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Approved,

Great Job
The Following User Says Thank You to Floggin Tires For This Useful Post:
Deathalo (09-13-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
THEWAKLER
USMC

Drives: DGM BRZ LMT
What's the range on this? Does it charge if you hold it 3-5" off the base plate?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWAKLER View Post
What's the range on this? Does it charge if you hold it 3-5" off the base plate?
I wouldnt think so, 3-5 inch is pretty high.. But then again i couls be wrong
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote