follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #1331
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModalSoul37 View Post
Thanks for the feedback...I was excited for the install but I think japanparts messed up my order...I ordered one pair each of the front and rear springs, but both of the boxes have the same part number...are the springs interchangeable? I imagine that they aren't.
Open them up to check, front (fatter less coils) and rear (narrower more coils) springs don't look the same. They come in 4 boxes from STI, Japanparts are cheap and put them into 2 boxes instead to save on shipping.

When I got the Votex/Eibach Pro Kit from Germany for the Golf, it came with a new set of shorter bump stops. The STI pink springs didn't so my bump stops are stock and not shaved.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
ModalSoul37 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #1332
Createddeleted

Drives: 2014 BRZ - 2004 GLI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback...I was excited for the install but I think japanparts messed up my order...I ordered one pair each of the front and rear springs, but both of the boxes have the same part number...are the springs interchangeable? I imagine that they aren't.
Do all the springs look the same?
Createddeleted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Createddeleted For This Useful Post:
ModalSoul37 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #1333
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Yeah planning to get a WRX. Want to make it a sister car to the BRZ. So with that in mind, planning to get a WRB with the STi lip kit, exhaust, the inevitable pink springs that will be released. Also want to pick up the JDM grille and the fog light housing that gas the DRL bar on them.

The S4 still confuses me, looks like its just their version of the CVT WRX? I plan on getting those wheels though
Yeah, so in Japan, if you want a "WRX" with a manual transmission, you get the "STI". If you're not into that raw performance and are just wanting a turbo Boxer for commuting, then you get the WRX S4 with CVT (which is just four words that begin with the letter "S" to describe the entire driving experience). Honestly, I think that's almost the way to do it: WRX with CVT only for commuting, and STI for people that actually want to race their cars. It would only work if there was a base model STI that cost about $29-$30k, but I think it could work.

Someone else brought out that the Subaru SVX had "S4" after it in Japan and that was early 1990's.

Anyways, I would LOVE to have a BRZ and the Levorg as my perfect setup. I don't like the WRX or STI for various reasons. They feel incomplete to me.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #1334
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Yerp. You got it @chanomatik. The S4 is almost a continuation of the A-Line cars they've had for years. Plus they haven't had a WRX for sale in Japan for years now. So it's kinda big news for them to have the WRX back and an Auto version at that.

You and me are on the same wave length again. The Levorg is going to be my next Subaru. I've already got a game plan in my brain and am really, really hoping I don't have to wait more than two years for it to come.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #1335
DarkestBuddha

Drives: BRZ limited GBS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
anyone found the TS center panel + passenger panel for LHD
DarkestBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #1336
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Yeah, so in Japan, if you want a "WRX" with a manual transmission, you get the "STI". If you're not into that raw performance and are just wanting a turbo Boxer for commuting, then you get the WRX S4 with CVT (which is just four words that begin with the letter "S" to describe the entire driving experience).
Did something change with this generation of WRX STI? There used to be a JDM WRX STI that comes with an automatic and leather interior called the A-Line (Adult Line).

What is exactly Blue Boxer anyway? I know it's supposed to be more fuel efficient but is the engine the really different? Or it's just cuz of CVT?

Is WRX S4 something like Legacy B4?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #1337
Createddeleted

Drives: 2014 BRZ - 2004 GLI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestBuddha View Post
anyone found the TS center panel + passenger panel for LHD

Its not made as the tS is not made in LHD. Just get a 2015 dash.
Createddeleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #1338
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
Yerp. You got it @chanomatik. The S4 is almost a continuation of the A-Line cars they've had for years. Plus they haven't had a WRX for sale in Japan for years now. So it's kinda big news for them to have the WRX back and an Auto version at that.

You and me are on the same wave length again. The Levorg is going to be my next Subaru. I've already got a game plan in my brain and am really, really hoping I don't have to wait more than two years for it to come.
I honestly think it won't be for at least 3 years since it needs to cycle through AND they need to make capacity for it. That'll happen once they start building the Impreza in the U.S. and relieve Japan a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Did something change with this generation of WRX STI? There used to be a JDM WRX STI that comes with an automatic and leather interior called the A-Line (Adult Line).

What is exactly Blue Boxer anyway? I know it's supposed to be more fuel efficient but is the engine the really different? Or it's just cuz of CVT?

Is WRX S4 something like Legacy B4?
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/subaru/...-ar164591.html

Quote:
So the “S4” name apparently comes from the model’s four attributes, including "Sports performance", "Safety performance", "Smart driving" and "Sophisticated feel".
The new Direct Injection Boxer is more fuel-efficient, and mated to a CVT it's worlds better over the current STI. The A-Line STI previously was mated to the archaic 5EAT, I believe, and was de-tuned.

I don't think Japan has had the WRX since the MY2004 STI debuted. It's kind of a redundancy for them since they've continued using the EJ20 in their STI while America gets the EJ25. Plus as a culture they seem okay with the "less is more policy" that appeals to my nature (and thus why I drive a BRZ after having owned a WRX and STI previously).

So the WRX S4 is KIND OF like a sedan version of the Levorg. More upscale and executive. If you've seen the interior of the Levorg, it's nicer than either the STI or WRX. I'm thinking Subaru is going to change the interior of their JDM WRX S4 to match the Levorg's and overshadow the USDM WRX and JDM/USDM STI. We won't know for sure for another two weeks.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
krayzie (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #1339
krayzie
Drive From Home

Then the WRX S4 and Levorg are making sense if Japan is planning to phase out the Legacy (which has gotten physically too porky for the JDM market's taste with the 5th gen). These will be the replacements for the old Legacy B4 and Legacy Touring Wagon.

BTW Levorg STI Performance Catalog: http://www.sti.jp/parts/catalogue/va_levorg/index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #1340
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Never seen the Levorg before. I want one!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #1341
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
As much as I want the levorg I don't want to wait so long to get a car (assuming its even coming) so that's why I'm fine with the WRX. Haha want to stop putting so many miles of the BRZ

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #1342
ModalSoul37

Drives: 2014 Limited WR Blue Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Open them up to check, front (fatter less coils) and rear (narrower more coils) springs don't look the same. They come in 4 boxes from STI, Japanparts are cheap and put them into 2 boxes instead to save on shipping.

When I got the Votex/Eibach Pro Kit from Germany for the Golf, it came with a new set of shorter bump stops. The STI pink springs didn't so my bump stops are stock and not shaved.
@Createddeleted

Can't really tell on the dimensions, but the manual the springs came with show the same part number...I think I'm screwed...
ModalSoul37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #1343
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
@Createddeleted

Can't really tell on the dimensions, but the manual the springs came with show the same part number...I think I'm screwed...
I don't remember if it was the front or rear, but one of the sets has the same part number. Interchangeable left and right. The other set has unique part numbers for left and right

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
ModalSoul37 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #1344
turbosupra94

Drives: 2015 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd post this up. Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere. Traded in my 2013 for a series.blue. The dash is the same silver dash (which I can see the paint on the backside when removed) with basically 3M carbon vinyl glued on. Not sure if regular 2015 is the same. I know in the 2015 BRZ book it lists the Series.Blue with large carbon fiber dash or something like that.
turbosupra94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
it sucks to be broke, sti omg!