follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strange interaction with Police Vehicle

I had sort of a strange interaction with, what I think was a police vehicle this morning on my way to work. Left me with a huge “what the heck” face and wondering if anyone might have some insight on what may have been going down.

I was driving on the highway, at speed limit or slightly above. In the second lane (closest to the passing lane) when a blacked-out minivan, all black windows, riding my ass. I mean they are right on me, I even think they flashed the brights at me

So I stomp on the gas and speed out in front (well over speed limit) pass a few cars in the passing lane and returned to the second lane and on my way.
Look over to the left, here comes the minivan riding on the ass of some other poor individual. So I let them pass, swoop in behind the minivan and I’m like “alright buddy, you like to ride ass?” “Enjoy this!” (I will admit, I do tend to get a tad rode-ragey. Something I am working on!)

I ride the van pretty good for about ¼ mile, when he pops the red and blues on me! One cycle and I backed off pretty dang quick as you would imagine, And they ride off right up on someone’s bumper into the distance. this van didn’t have exempt plates or anything, completely unmarked.

My question is, why’s this officer driving their undercover vehicle like an absolute turd sandwich? Don’t you have to be pretty privileged in the force to have access to tools like that? Shouldn’t they be driving with lights if they are actively trying to get to a situation?

I understand the point of staying “undercover” but to drive recklessly in normal traffic flow as to not blow your cover? Seems stupid

Or was this possibly just some asshole with police lights installed in their van?

Last edited by VIP BRZ; 07-23-2021 at 08:11 PM.
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VIP BRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-23-2021), Wally86 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
I had sort of a strange interaction with, what I think was a police vehicle this morning on my way to work. Left me with a huge “what the heck” face and wondering if anyone might have some insight on what may have been going down.

I was driving on the highway, at speed limit or slightly above. In the second lane (closest to the passing lane) when a blacked-out minivan, all black windows, riding my ass. I mean they are right on me, I even think they flashed the brights at me

So I stomp on the gas and speed out in front (well over speed limit) pass a few cars in the passing lane and returned to the second lane and on my way.
Look over to the left, here comes the minivan riding on the ass of some other pore individual. So I let them pass, swoop in behind the minivan and I’m like “alright buddy, you like to ride ass?” “Enjoy this!” (I will admit, I do tend to get a tad rode-ragey. Something I am working on!)

So, I ride the van pretty good for about ¼ mile, when he pops the red and blues on me! One cycle and I backed off pretty dang quick as you would imagine. And see he ride off right up on someone’s bumper into the distance. this van didn’t have exempt plates or anything, completely unmarked.

My question is, why’s this officer driving their undercover vehicle like an absolute turd sandwich? Don’t you have to be pretty privileged in the force to have access to tools like that? Shouldn’t they be driving with lights if they are actively trying to get to a situation?

I understand the point of staying “undercover” but to drive recklessly in normal traffic flow as to not blow your cover? Seems stupid

Or was this possibly just some asshole with police lights installed in their van?
That would be my guess.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-24-2021), VIP BRZ (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
you're in cali, what you expect. a couple weeks ago, my dad and i were moving some things from CA to AZ overnight and the truck behind us with a big ol' brush guard i'm assuming did not like that my dad was hogging the passing lane so he rammed us from behind and took off. Luckily it just destroyed the hatch + rear bumper but still, CA drivers suck..
Attached Images

Last edited by HKz; 07-23-2021 at 01:26 PM.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
spike021 (07-23-2021), VIP BRZ (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
you're in cali, what you expect. a couple weeks ago, my dad and i were moving some things from CA to AZ overnight and the truck behind us with a big ol' brush guard i'm assuming did not like that my dad was hogging the passing lane so he rammed us from behind and took off. Luckily it just destroyed the hatch + rear bumper but still, CA drivers suck..
And that bolded part is why I hate commuting in Austin where they all seem to be migrating too.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (08-12-2021), HKz (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
This doesn't explain what happened but may explain the vehicle.

We have police cars like that in our area. They are called "chasers". They are completely unmarked but have a light bar in the rear window and usually follow behind another emergency vehicle... not aggressively but within a quarter to half mile.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2020BRZtS For This Useful Post:
VIP BRZ (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #6
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post

Look over to the left, here comes the minivan riding on the ass of some other poor individual. So I let them pass, swoop in behind the minivan and I’m like “alright buddy, you like to ride ass?” “Enjoy this!” (I will admit, I do tend to get a tad rode-ragey. Something I am working on!)

I ride the van pretty good for about ¼ mile, when he pops the red and blues on me! One cycle and I backed off pretty dang quick as you would imagine, And they ride off right up on someone’s bumper into the distance. this van didn’t have exempt plates or anything, completely unmarked.

Maybe it was the Feds trying to get close enough to sniff your tailpipe exhaust.

You should do yourself a favor and check your state laws to find out when police vehicles are required to have their emergency lights illuminated.

Time to install multiple angle recording devices in your ride to combat corrupt government officials.......and to oust them by posting videos and pictures of their vehicles when they get out of line.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I'd just call it in. I do this often when someone is being ridiculous on the road. You never know when that call you made with description and license plate number matches the description of an incident like what @HKz had happen. Plus too many loonies with guns anymore. I do what I can to perpetuate them getting past me and don't retaliate. Not worth it for what amounts to a small interaction.
Atmo (07-24-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
The statements below apply only to roadways within the US, as I don't have experience driving in other countries (well Canada a few times, but that doesn't really count.)

With my work, I drive sometimes up to 1000 miles a week. One of my biggest pet peeves is Left-Lane Louies (or Left-Lane Lou Lous if they're female) HOGGING the passing lane and pissing everyone else off who want to go faster, and can't because of it.

If you're in the far left lane and nobody else is around, that's fine, but if someone is behind you and you realize that they want to pass you but can't because of your ignorance, at your earliest possible chance, you need to move over to allow it.

It doesn't matter if the lane to the right is free and the other driver could just pass you on your right, and it doesn't matter if you're going the speed limit or even above the limit, YOU NEED TO MOVE OVER TO LET PEOPLE PASS YOU ON YOUR LEFT. It's not your job to prevent other drivers from getting a speeding ticket, that's their problem to deal with if that happens. It's called a PASSING lane, right?

Now I'm not saying it's right that that person rammed your dad, but I definitely understand why some people would do that. Your dad should realize that there are some crazy mother f#@kers out there that will get angry enough to do shit like that......or even worse. And yes, I've seen it happen.

ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings when you're on the road. It's called a PASSING LANE for a reason.

I will admit that I usually travel slightly above the speed limit on the freeway, and I pass people all the time, and sometimes I have to pass idiots on their right because they won't move over. But I also allow faster cars to pass me just as often, as my work vehicle is NOT the fastest car on the road, and I know that.

One last time, it's called a PASSING LANE, not a lollygagging lane. Our German brothers know all about this on the Autobahn, just ask them what the penalty is for not allowing faster vehicles to pass.

........Rant over.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (07-23-2021), shiumai (07-26-2021), Wally86 (07-28-2021), weederr33 (07-24-2021), x808drifter (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
McMCOO
Anti-Social Media

Drives: 24 GR86 Premium MT is on the way!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Was there room to pass to the left when he was riding you or the second car he tailgated? I agree with all the theories presented as possible. Did anybody else pass you that might have been an unmarked cop? It's possible he was part of a follow, trying to catch up without using lights to the front to spook the fish.

If officers/detectives are trying to follow someone as part of an investigation or in order to stop a car after getting enough units to do it safely, driving like a bit of a butthole without the "excuse me" lights is certainly something that happens. Let's say you are an officer following someone wanted for a felony, and you are pacing from a safe distance in an unmarked car keeping other traffic between you and the bad guy. Other officers try to catch up so that you can have a few people with you so things don't go off the rails. If the other cops trying to catch up are running lights and siren from a mile back, things are likely not going to go as planned, and to the detriment of public safety.

It's widely excepted if necessary to get the job done and if done with enough caution that you aren't doing more harm than good to public safety. I can tell you that more than once I have followed suspects who just drove like idiots, and they were going a good 20-30 over all the time... and totally unaware we were following. In those situations, it just isn't worth it, so we call it a day.

Another thing any cop will tell you is that many drivers lose their minds when they see the blue and red lights. In order to yield (as they should), they try to move out of the way. Frequently poorly. Moving left instead of right, almost colliding with someone, or even freezing up and slowing down to 10 under the limit and failing to yield. Frequently you get the best results by moving out fast, but as safely as you can, and using the equipment at intersections and other hazards.

In my state, there is no exception that I am aware of that allows police to exceed the speed limit without emergency lights. But it happens all the time, or you wouldn't get much done. Double standard? I'd have to say yes. But not for fun, convenience, or pure impatience.

Oh, and some cops are just buttholes.

Last edited by McMCOO; 07-23-2021 at 09:27 PM. Reason: fat fingers
McMCOO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McMCOO For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-26-2021), Wally86 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #10
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've seen unmarked cop cars get right on someone's bumper, then when the victim speeds up in an attempt to open up a safe distance, the cop gives them a speeding ticket.
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 11:07 PM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
cops seem to generally be assholes. sounds like everything was normal to me.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:53 AM   #12
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Last year, coming home from a friends' house late at night going exactly the speed limit, (as far as my speedometer indicated) I passed by a local patrolman parked in the median on a four-lane highway. About a quarter mile later, I looked back in my side-view mirror and noticed his headlights pull out from the median as he engaged pursuit at an extremely rapid speed, then when he caught up to me about half a minute later, proceeded to tailgate me within 15 feet at 55 mph for almost a mile.

He finally initiated a traffic stop and I pulled to the side of the road. A very young rookie law enforcement officer (I'm not even sure he had pubes, he looked so young) approached my vehicle on the passenger side and I rolled that window down and asked him what the emergency was. He stated that he just wanted to tell me that my license plate light was out. He didn't even ask for my identification or proof of financial coverage. I thanked him and told him I would get it fixed, then he let me go.

Surely it was a legitimate stop.....however.....was his actions of driving at such a high rate of speed without his emergency lights on and his blatant and egregious tailgating necessary for the circumstance of a burnt-out license plate light?

Was that really enough of an emergency that he had to put not only me but himself and other drivers in danger of an accident to inform me of this fact?

He COULD HAVE turned his emergency lights on as soon as he pulled onto the highway from the median to inform me and all of the other drivers that he was in pursuit and there would have been no issue, but it was his blatant lack of safety that I question.

I suppose I should check the laws where I was at that time to see if his actions were legally justified, but I'm pretty sure I know what he was up to, and my initial question to him threw him off. Obviously he was patroling for intoxicated drivers and once he realized that I was not, he went on to find another victim.

Law enforcement needs to realize that they shouldn't be breaking one law just to enforce another one. That badge is not a license to speed and tailgate. In fact, law enforcement officers should be held to an even higher standard when it comes to breaking the laws that they are there to enforce.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-24-2021), Wally86 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #13
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
cops seem to generally be assholes. sounds like everything was normal to me.
I couldn't disagree more. 99% of the interactions I've had with police, regardless of who initiated the interaction (i.e., they pulled me over, or I contacted them for help with an issue), have been pleasant, professional, and courteous on both parts (their part, and my part). This is a MUCH better percentage than interacting with pretty much any other segment of the professional population.

Especially in today's world where the police are continuously and unjustly bashed in the media, I really wish you hadn't posted that statement. Generally, there are indeed "assholes" in any profession, any walk of life, and any ethnicity/gender/whatever. Stating that "cops seem to generally be assholes" may say more about one's own attitudes than anything else. I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER, seen a cop be an "asshole" towards anyone who wasn't breaking the law or being argumentative, uncooperative, disrespectful, rude, or otherwise... well.... being an "asshole." There are, without a doubt, an isolated few who are "assholes" and shouldn't be cops, but in NO way, shape, or form, is that even close to "generally" the case.

Not to open a can of worms. My intention is to CLOSE that can.
Dadhawk (07-24-2021), Jdmjunkie (07-24-2021), TommyW (07-24-2021), Wally86 (07-28-2021), weederr33 (07-24-2021), x808drifter (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #14
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Some of the older cops can't see as well anymore and they have to get close to read your plate and run it through their little computer. Another good reason not to road rage even if they do deserve it. (You never know who it is).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote