follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2021, 12:47 AM   #15
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Im not ready to go EV yet and right now...a ton of the EV's are....SUV's or CUV's...which...bleh.
An EV should be focused mainly for city driving. The BMW i3 was one of the early representatives of this category with some unique ideas and technologies. No idea why someone would want to buy a super heavy and ugly (laptop looking interior) EV like the Solterrra for going to the forest.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:54 AM   #16
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Honda is in the same weird position. They had to turn to GM to build their first EV crossovers because they haven't made the investments.

However, let's not forget that American companies that are driving innovation and pursuing these 2035 targets are doing so with profits from big V8 trucks and SUVs.

Toyota and Honda I think lack the flexibility to say we are going to dump $30 billion into EVs over the next 10 years because they don't sell Yukon's in droves. Or in VWs case, Porsches and Bentlys paying for everything. So they need to fight back and try to slow things down and cut back on thei financial risks.

Their critique s of EVs is fair, but the market has decided what things will look like 10-20 years. Regardless of whether it is right or not.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:39 AM   #17
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
Honda is in the same weird position. They had to turn to GM to build their first EV crossovers because they haven't made the investments.

However, let's not forget that American companies that are driving innovation and pursuing these 2035 targets are doing so with profits from big V8 trucks and SUVs.

Toyota and Honda I think lack the flexibility to say we are going to dump $30 billion into EVs over the next 10 years because they don't sell Yukon's in droves. Or in VWs case, Porsches and Bentlys paying for everything. So they need to fight back and try to slow things down and cut back on thei financial risks.

Their critique s of EVs is fair, but the market has decided what things will look like 10-20 years. Regardless of whether it is right or not.
I'll never understand why honda needed to pair up with GM. They have the honda E and next to a Tesla Model X, I can't remember another car that got me stoked about EVs. The E is so quirky and perfect. The only thing it needs it more range.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #18
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
I'll never understand why honda needed to pair up with GM. They have the honda E and next to a Tesla Model X, I can't remember another car that got me stoked about EVs. The E is so quirky and perfect. The only thing it needs it more range.
Mazda is even more screwed lol.
They JUST released that MX30 EV and its apparently trash, but mainly due to like 151km of range lol.
And price isnt all that much lower than any other EV so they're at huge range disadvantage.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #19
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Mazda is even more screwed lol.
They JUST released that MX30 EV and its apparently trash, but mainly due to like 151km of range lol.
And price isnt all that much lower than any other EV so they're at huge range disadvantage.
I saw a review on it. When they said the mileage I couldn't even believe it.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #20
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
...No idea why someone would want to buy a super heavy and ugly (laptop looking interior) EV like the Solterrra for going to the forest.
for this reason, i'm closely watching the jeep wrangler ev. i think it has potential to showcase the capabilities of electric power in fun offroad scenario's while also being capable of everyday stuff.

but it also has a massive chance of going horribly wrong on them if the remote off road solar chargers get a bad rap for falling out of maintenance and no longer being usable...

Quote:

time repeats itself. it's the 70's all over again!

the american brands are in the rejuvenation stage, where they're hyper-aware of what other brands are doing and are trying to get to the forefront again in terms of tech, quality, and styling.

the japanese brands are languishing 'with what works', and see no reason to change.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #21
mazeroni

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-says-its...nge-1848074438

Old 11-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #22
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Can I get a discount since they only painted 2/3rds of the car?
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #23
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Yay more CUV's and SUV's.....

Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #24
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Toyota has the money to dump into EVs, but they didn't want to because the CEO didn't see how they were sustainable products. Currents EV are disposed of like cellphones. They are making a $13.6 billion investment in battery tech with 203 patents currently. They have been better at risk management than GM and VW for a while now. They understand their customers expect reliability and ease of use. The current EV infrastructure doesn't support ease of use outside a Tesla contributing to the 2% EV take rate among new auto sales.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:22 PM   #25
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
HEY FRIENDS! first post in about 6-8 months. but i saw this released on social media today and though id check in on my favorite forum

My question is: is it a subaru with a toyo badge? or a Toyo with a subia badge?

i understand that both toyo and subie solterra are mechanically identical, like frs/brz.
but we know that all the oem parts for our cars are subaru made/stamped, the motor is a subaru boxer, so the frs is essentially a subaru w a scion badge. my question remains for the solterra, anyone know who made/designed/is producing it? is this a toyota project or subaru?
Old 11-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #26
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
well, i kind of just answered my own question with a little more googling:

'While Toyota’s team worked on battery and powertrain, Subaru handled chassis, AWD, and crash systems"

taken from a car&driver writeup: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...erra-revealed/

so i guess the solterra is split a little more evenly between the two manufactures than the frs/brz
Old 11-17-2021, 08:02 PM   #27
mazeroni

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
well, i kind of just answered my own question with a little more googling:

'While Toyota’s team worked on battery and powertrain, Subaru handled chassis, AWD, and crash systems"

taken from a car&driver writeup: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...erra-revealed/

so i guess the solterra is split a little more evenly between the two manufactures than the frs/brz
I think that makes a lot of sense. Toyota has been working with electrical systems and batteries for a lot longer. They probably have good ties to suppliers and the internal engineers to take the project through to production. On the other end, Subaru's eyesight is more advance than anything Toyota has and AWD is a major selling point for the brand.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:34 PM   #28
mazeroni

More SUV EVs because this seems like a good place.
Ioniq Seven

Kia EV9