follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #5335
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Factoy oem tunes do not drop power against neither coolant or engile oil temperature
Just against air intake temperature

That s why you, me and whoever tune this car need to build custom maps to have timings drop against oil temperature and to blink or flash the CEL
Already integrated into CSG tunes!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #5336
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
Getting the feeling once you cut the Verus vents in, I’ll need a new hood for the Trackspec. Those lines don’t look like they line up all that much, but that’s a guess.

For reference, I’m also running Motul 300V 5W30, and Subaru OEM Coolant. I plan on going to Distilled Water and Water Wetter once the temperatures move towards more consistent warm weather. Should I be running a different oil??

Thanks as always!
300V is totally solid.

Try sourcing a used hood, or swap + cash for your hood with Verus vents. It should be fairly easy to find someone to swap with.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #5337
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The purpose is to keep all air entering the front opening going through the cooling stack. Air going around the stack is air not drawing heat away from your coolers.
So B. then?

I've completely boxed in the front end, only the intercooler can take in air.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/meMGxHWvPzmCgpSL8

This seemed to make no difference in temps with my previous Dual Rad config, and if my last temps are any indication I'm going to be in just as bad a place when summer temps hit with this track oil cooler.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #5338
AndreC

Drives: Fast track beast
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
One of the big challenges I've faced with this setup is the fact that the intercooler blocks the entire mouth, so you get lots of heat soak into the rad.

Intercooler => oil cooler & SC cooler => rad

Each cooling element expels heat to the next element, and to the next. And airflow drops after each one as well.

But I've asked before and was told no one ever runs hot, even on track, so I finally ended up making airflow changes on my own.

(the FT86SpeedFactory TA car had similar heat soak issues last summer)

Anyways, so I took out the factory crash beam, and replaced it with a "drift bar" which sits alot higher and now allows airflow to get a straight shot to the rad over the intercooler.

And the whole cooling stack is also boxed out. (it was also before but didn't help much)

Hope this helps anyone else before heating issues hurt your engine.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
AndreC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndreC For This Useful Post:
tfp (06-17-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #5339
steved

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreC View Post
One of the big challenges I've faced with this setup is the fact that the intercooler blocks the entire mouth, so you get lots of heat soak into the rad.

Intercooler => oil cooler & SC cooler => rad

Each cooling element expels heat to the next element, and to the next. And airflow drops after each one as well.

But I've asked before and was told no one ever runs hot, even on track, so I finally ended up making airflow changes on my own.

(the FT86SpeedFactory TA car had similar heat soak issues last summer)

Anyways, so I took out the factory crash beam, and replaced it with a "drift bar" which sits alot higher and now allows airflow to get a straight shot to the rad over the intercooler.

And the whole cooling stack is also boxed out. (it was also before but didn't help much)

Hope this helps anyone else before heating issues hurt your engine.

Ya I've thought about this method as well. Did you custom mount the top side intercooler bracket to the drift bar?

Do you have ambient temp, peak oil, and peak water temps before/after this change?
Old 03-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #5340
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Why not relocate oil cooler to behind passenger fog light and supercharger oil cooler to behind driver side fog light. I have my oil cooler and AT trans cooler in those two spots. I don’t track my car. But it seems it would help with reducing the stack in the front and heat soaking each other.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-11-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #5341
AndreC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Why not relocate oil cooler to behind passenger fog light and supercharger oil cooler to behind driver side fog light. I have my oil cooler and AT trans cooler in those two spots. I don’t track my car. But it seems it would help with reducing the stack in the front and heat soaking each other.
My oil temps have been okay, it's the water temps that would build after more than 3-4 race laps. But looking to relocate both coolers to either side this year. So far temps are waaaay down but engine was already pooched (hg leak at coolant passage on first engine, suspect same on current engine in car). I was at least able to finish the season on that engine.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #5342
AndreC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
Ya I've thought about this method as well. Did you custom mount the top side intercooler bracket to the drift bar?

Do you have ambient temp, peak oil, and peak water temps before/after this change?
Yes, made a bracket that comes down to the intercooler from the drift bar, you can see it in the pics. I'll be able to record data soon once track opens (in Canada) and once the rebuilt engine is in.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:27 PM   #5343
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
My oil temps have been okay, it's the water temps that would build after more than 3-4 race laps. But looking to relocate both coolers to either side this year. So far temps are waaaay down but engine was already pooched (hg leak at coolant passage on first engine, suspect same on current engine in car). I was at least able to finish the season on that engine.

Un stacking them will help coolant temps a lot.

Passenger side has plenty of space
Driver side i swapped in https://www.chasebays.com/products/c...SABEgKKC_D_BwE to have lots of space on that side. Was pretty easy setup all around.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:57 AM   #5344
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
So B. then?

I've completely boxed in the front end, only the intercooler can take in air.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/meMGxHWvPzmCgpSL8

This seemed to make no difference in temps with my previous Dual Rad config, and if my last temps are any indication I'm going to be in just as bad a place when summer temps hit with this track oil cooler.
Don't box the intercooler like that. You need the additional air going around the intercooler to cool your radiator.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #5345
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Like wise. Heat soak brought me to 260 F so I put the engine oil cooler where my windshield washer was.
My oil temps behaved like a toilet seat in a whore house on a Saturday night in comparison to the stack. When coming off the highway into the city the loss of the rad fan caused much higher temps that took much longer to cool .

Overall , the MAX temp. is much lower, allowing more hot laps. The problem is opening up the fender liner properly for exhaust air. I used plastic grates, slots upward vanes down and as long as I don't reverse at hi speed in mud, the vents stay open.
A must do for tracking !
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #5346
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
Like wise. Heat soak brought me to 260 F so I put the engine oil cooler where my windshield washer was.
My oil temps behaved like a toilet seat in a whore house on a Saturday night in comparison to the stack. When coming off the highway into the city the loss of the rad fan caused much higher temps that took much longer to cool .

Overall , the MAX temp. is much lower, allowing more hot laps. The problem is opening up the fender liner properly for exhaust air. I used plastic grates, slots upward vanes down and as long as I don't reverse at hi speed in mud, the vents stay open.
A must do for tracking !
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i used the 5 1/2" by 4 7/8" but you could make the larger one fit, looks pretty clean can hardly tell its there unless you are looking for it. I just cut a square in the liner, and nut and bolt these on from the inside, bolt head coming in from outside, firmly secured, and works perfectly. pretty easy setup. I don't track my car, but nothing i can do on the street even phases my temps (FYI I have sprintex 210 w/ 69mm pulley). I'm sure it would be different on the track though as i don't have the most ideal airflow coming in. but didn't want it to be too good and over cool too much on the street. BRZ bumper fog light would be much easier to have a clean looking setup with much better flow then the 86 bumper.

You could also add in some fans wired off the oem fans to come on same time those do for low speed cooling. or have it on in reverse behind the cooler to "suck" the hot air from the cooler out the back vent.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #5347
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i used the 5 1/2" by 4 7/8" but you could make the larger one fit, looks pretty clean can hardly tell its there unless you are looking for it. I just cut a square in the liner, and nut and bolt these on from the inside, bolt head coming in from outside, firmly secured, and works perfectly. pretty easy setup. I don't track my car, but nothing i can do on the street even phases my temps (FYI I have sprintex 210 w/ 69mm pulley). I'm sure it would be different on the track though as i don't have the most ideal airflow coming in. but didn't want it to be too good and over cool too much on the street. BRZ bumper fog light would be much easier to have a clean looking setup with much better flow then the 86 bumper.

You could also add in some fans wired off the oem fans to come on same time those do for low speed cooling. or have it on in reverse behind the cooler to "suck" the hot air from the cooler out the back vent.
There is a plastic removable grate on the front bottom plastic plate under the front bumper that is the correct size, available from Toyota parts dept. and can easily be riveted onto the liner.
Doubt that there would be room for a large enough of a fan in the wheel wells. Perhaps some kind of NACA ducting could work, or just opening the entrance grate larger.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:18 AM   #5348
steved

Quote:
Yes, made a bracket that comes down to the intercooler from the drift bar, you can see it in the pics. I'll be able to record data soon once track opens (in Canada) and once the rebuilt engine is in.

@AndreC

Is this where you got the idea of opening up the front end?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=29

I notice Verus put a horizontal panel across the top of the intercooler towards the sandwiched oil cooler/rad.

Once they opened up the top side they saw incredible improvements.. but that oil cooler is massive.