follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Rabble

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
http://www.zypr.net/
Rabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabble View Post
I've been to Zypr's site before, but I didn't see anything about iOS vs Android support (only a few posts in the forums about APIs).
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabble View Post
I feel like the $850 is bullshit considering that this same unit is available on the iQ for $449. Unless the $850 is including satellite radio.
I thought the frs was going to be the first scion to offer it?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #18
Big T

Drives: future FR-S
It works with android and ios from what I dug up from research on bespoke and zypr.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Wait I'm a bit confused. Does it required us to install an app on our phones, to do those point of interest searches and route planning? Or do we install the programs directly into Bespoke. Plus where is the push to talk button on the head unit? They said they were't going to put buttons on the wheel, so where are they gonna put it?
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
Wait I'm a bit confused. Does it required us to install an app on our phones, to do those point of interest searches and route planning? Or do we install the programs directly into Bespoke. Plus where is the push to talk button on the head unit? They said they were't going to put buttons on the wheel, so where are they gonna put it?
The way i read it, the BeSpoke requires a smartphone to function even for Navigation. it runs apps that use your phone for comm, GPS, etc. Not sure if the phone is the brains of the system or just a data modem/conduit. Personally just requiring the smartphone (And especially an iAnything) makes it a no-good for me. I'll stick to the standard unit and add aftermarket later if I want Navigation.

Having played with the standard unit I can say it reminds me a lot of my first girlfriend. She may not have been the prettiest but she did anything I wanted.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 04-08-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
RMStringer (01-22-2013)
Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Garage
The way they linked it to a smartphone that way seems pretty weird. So right now if you run out of battery on your phone, it just goes back to being a normal head unit. Plus having your phone do all that, would drain the battery too.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
The way they linked it to a smartphone that way seems pretty weird. So right now if you run out of battery on your phone, it just goes back to being a normal head unit. Plus having your phone do all that, would drain the battery too.
I'm guessing they assume you'll plug your phone in. I would caution that I could be completely wrong, this is based on the press releases and the Zyphr site

Last edited by Dadhawk; 01-23-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #23
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
$850 is too damn much scion...The BRZ premium has a real GPS navigation with apps and HIDs for only $1315 more...Seems like a better deal to me.

I was thinking like pioneer app radio pricing like no more than $400 for the Bespoke. It actually should be part of the standard equipment on the FR-S.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #24
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Garage
So I did some digging around and found this interview with the engineer behind Zypr.
(the demonstration starts at around 20:00)

From the video Zypr seems like a cloud service, where you ask it questions and it will send your answer back to you. The UI you see on your device depends on what the device make. That makes me think that Bespoke will have the UI built into it, while your phone would only function as something like a router to receive and send the data to Zypr. If that's true then why can't Bespoke just have a 3G chip in it or something?
Old 04-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #25
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
$850 is too damn much scion...The BRZ premium has a real GPS navigation with apps and HIDs for only $1315 more...Seems like a better deal to me.

I was thinking like pioneer app radio pricing like no more than $400 for the Bespoke. It actually should be part of the standard equipment on the FR-S.
And then I would be complaining about a radio I don't want so I guess you can't please everyone. Easier to have it as an add on and kept the car price down than up the base price of the car.

Jack Hollis was pretty clear that they did not know what the Subaru price was, but it would not have mattered. They met their goal of being under $25K with shipping and still providing the best base car they're could for folks to build on. After seeing the car in person and driving it I have to agree.

Continuing the discussion and what should have been is moot at this point since we know what it is. Each person now has to make an individual informed decision based on the facts available. You want HIDs and Navigation, its available on the Subaru. If it was on the FR-S then it would be at least the same price as the BRZ.

I have to admit I don't get the whole HID thing. Its just headlights. I've seen both cars in person and they look the same to me. YMMV and that's cool, but I don't see anything that makes them more valuable to me.

This is my last note on pricing. I'm sure the debate will continue but to me, the FR-S looks right, is a bargain at 25K and is configured as I would expect. Sure if they throw in a 400hp engine, the instruments panel from a F22 and a flux capacitor for the same price I'd take it, but it ain't gonna happen at this point so no point in discussing it further IMHO.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 04-07-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: tablet invoked spelling mistakes
Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #26
tripjammer

Garage
Quote:
So I did some digging around and found this interview with the engineer behind Zypr.
(the demonstration starts at around 20:00)

From the video Zypr seems like a cloud service, where you ask it questions and it will send your answer back to you. The UI you see on your device depends on what the device make. That makes me think that Bespoke will have the UI built into it, while your phone would only function as something like a router to receive and send the data to Zypr. If that's true then why can't Bespoke just have a 3G chip in it or something?
Because then you would need a separate 3G service. The best way to integrate this would be your smartphone. But a lot of people don't have unlimited data plans...sprint might get a lot of new users since they still offer unlimited data and they are migrating their network to 4g lte.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
tripjammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
And then I would be complaining about a radio I don't want so I guess you can't please everyone. Easier to have it as an add on and kept the car price down than up the base price of the car.

Jack Hollis was pretty clear that they did not know what the Subaru price was, but it would not have mattered. They met their goal of being under $25K with shipping and still providing the best base car they're could for folks to build on. After seeing the car in person and driving it I have to agree.

Continuing the discussion and what should have been is moot at this point since we know what it is. Each person now has to make an individual informed decision based on the facts available. You want HIDs and Navigation, its available on the Subaru. If it was on the FR-S then it would be at least the same price as the BRZ.

I have to admit I don't get the whole HID thing. Its just headlights. I've seen both cars in person and they look the same to me. YMMV and that's cool, but I don't see anything that makes them more valuable to me.

This is my last note on pricing. I'm sure the debate will continue but to me, the FR-S looks right, is a bargain at 25K and is configured as I would expect. Sure if they throw in a 400hp engine, the instruments panel from a F22 and a flux capacitor for the same price I'd take it, but it ain't gonna happen at this point so no point in dusting it further IMHO.
Hids are better. Makes you see better at night and they also look cooler. The scion lights look cheap. But it is what it is. Scion made their decision and they will have to live with it. And you are right there are choices.

But $850 for the bespoke? I hope that is wrong...
Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #28
VZ86
First 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Can you provide more info or a link for this? Do you know if an Android app is planned? I plan to get the BRZ Limited, but an FRS with Bespoke is my fallback if something goes awry with the Subaru deal.
My source is the aforementioned Corey himself. I asked him about the other OSes after I noticed he was plugged into the demo iPhone w/ the proprietary 30-pin Apple connector rather than Bluetooth wireless. He then commiserated with the limited support when he pulled out his personal Android phone to show me he wouldn't be able to use the unit himself. Other OS support is in the works, but it sounded like it would be quite a while off.
VZ86 is offline   Reply With Quote