follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
Sevi

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 6M GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Remote starter

Hey, soon to be first time owner of a 2020 86 6M GT up here in Canada.

I'm wondering if you guys got any recommendations for a remote starter since they didn't offer it from the Toyota dealership I went to to order the car.

Thanks in advance!
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Garage
I have a Viper remote start. Works good. IMO, remote starts are super underrated, especially in sports cars because you always want to ensure you car is fairly warmed up before you rag on it. On a cold Canada day, you may easily need 10-20 minutes to really warm up a car good.

Also, it is expensive but may be worth looking into the remote start app. You can get that with Viper but of course for an additional cost...Had that for a while myself, but got rid of it because the subscription cost increased. Nice because you can start your car anywhere on the planet as long as you have a cell signal. Was pretty good overall, but the technology was bit quirky and customer service wasn't great. The typical remote start fob only works about 100-200 feet away.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrhayes1 For This Useful Post:
Busybee (02-29-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
Sevi

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 6M GT
Sweet, I'll look into the Viper ones, thanks for the reply \o/
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post
I have a Viper remote start. Works good. IMO, remote starts are super underrated, especially in sports cars because you always want to ensure you car is fairly warmed up before you rag on it. On a cold Canada day, you may easily need 10-20 minutes to really warm up a car good.

Also, it is expensive but may be worth looking into the remote start app. You can get that with Viper but of course for an additional cost...Had that for a while myself, but got rid of it because the subscription cost increased. Nice because you can start your car anywhere on the planet as long as you have a cell signal. Was pretty good overall, but the technology was bit quirky and customer service wasn't great. The typical remote start fob only works about 100-200 feet away.

Do you also have the security option with the remote start? Did you experience any problems with the keyless entry, alarm or anything else ?
Where did you buy and get installed? Was it a certified shop?

Thanks for all the questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Garage
As of now i currently only have the remote start key fob. Nothing else. Fob works great opens doors, trunk, and starts car, so i use that and never touch my Scion key fob. As i mentioned, I no longer have the subscription which allowed me to start my car from my phone anymore. Viper increased their price and wouldn't honor my old rate so it was going to cost me like ~$200 for 3 year subscription and just wasn't worth it. When i did have the phone app set up, it only allowed me to start my car, lock and unlock doors and pop trunk; it did not include a security/alarm feature or the car GPS locational. You have to buy that separate.

Another critique with the phone application is that everything is a bit delayed. It takes a few seconds at least to do anything: unlock doors, trunk, etc., which was a big reason why I didn't renew my subscription. Everything was installed by Audio Express. As i mentioned, I still have everything installed but only the fob works as I am not paying for the subscription with Viper to use the phone app anymore. Viper is kinda a rip off because you have to have a module for everything. For example, the remote start is lets say - $200. Then the module to use your smart phone is another $150. Then for an alarm its another module. It can end up costing a lot and plus you have to pay installation. For the price they want, I expect seamless operation and that just wasn't the case. My 2 cents is I would just get the regular old school fob alarm and nothing else. I would never go with a smart phone application unless of course it was something OEM that came on a new car; than I would consider that.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrhayes1 For This Useful Post:
Busybee (03-15-2020), tfp (04-28-2020)
Old 11-30-2023, 07:56 PM   #6
Balefire

Drives: Mazda 93 RX7 R1
Bump. Any other recs for remote start for MT cars? It is awfully cold in chicago!