follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2016, 01:31 AM   #15
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCrazy View Post
I'm going with a mixture of whatever aftermarket I should get, brand new OEM, and there's a wrecked FR-S that had 4,000 miles opposed to my 27k, I'll use the used parts in some areas... Tires, required, going to spend a little on those to get really good ones. They're only springing for two OEM wheels, so I'm not sure how I'll swing new wheels.

All we know is.... He's called The Stig
Better tires isnt the solution. All that means is you will have more speed when you run out of talent next time.

Prius tires are actually good for that exact reason

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
FX86 (07-28-2016), strat61caster (07-26-2016), Ultramaroon (07-26-2016), wparsons (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 01:35 AM   #16
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT - In Heaven Now
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
Uhh, how about buying some talent? Not digging at you, and I don't know what your talent level is, but bolting on more grip only means that you'll be going faster the next time you lose control.

Go spend some time/money on track days and autocross.
I didn't take it as a dig, no worries. Nothing but truth. In reality, I've driven some pretty exotic cars in some great places, but that doesn't mean I'm incredibly talented by any means.

I have only had this car for a month, I've put no performance mods on it, nothing but a better head unit (and cup holders that were missing).

My goal was to save up money for safety gear and to take a couple high speed performance driving classes (need two before you can go out alone on track days I think) at PIR, then go for an occasional track day once I had any kind of talent.

So, I completely agree with you! I just have been having fun with all traction nannies off, but that morning I must have been just out of my mind. Completely juvenile, dangerous, and not "me."

From now on, traction control stays on at all times. And I will not act like a freakin' 19 year old.

You know the worst part?

I wrote my deductible check, yeah, it would have been enough for my performance driving classes. Ironic.

FNCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:39 AM   #17
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Better tires isnt the solution. All that means is you will have more speed when you run out of talent next time.

When I was on the Prius tires I wasn't getting enough feedback and found I didn't get enough warning before things let go. I had a couple of near misses. So, I started looking for ways to get more feedback. I put in some bushing inserts and started doing what I could to become smoother, but it wasn't working. The bushing inserts helped, but I still found the back end came out unpredictably, no matter how smooth I was. Putting better tires on it made a world of difference. Yes, there was more grip, but it was easier to manage.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #18
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks! Well, I like oversteer, but this snap oversteer thing I wasn't fond of. I'll be replacing my tires with non-shitty ones, so I'd probably lean towards a touch more oversteer, and removing my traction control turn off buttons from the car and put in my garage.
Tuning your car towards more oversteer will just make the "snap oversteer" worse. You need to figure out what driver error cause the problem. Over countered? Lifted off throttle? Turned off traction control on the street with curbs around? Other?

Rce yellows and better tires and alignment would help a lot. Suggestion to go to a track day/hpde or skid pad to learn/practice.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 AM   #19
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Rce yellows and better tires and alignment would help a lot. Suggestion to go to a track day/hpde or skid pad to learn/practice.
Thank you. Yellows waiting to be installed, better tires on way after wheel is chosen, and, just as the above two were already explained in the thread, if you'd bothered to read the thread you'd know that I'm also fully committed both before and more so after the crash, to take two HPDE classes so I can get my approval at PIR to go out on track days by myself.

Who knows, maybe even more classes! I like to learn. Do you @swarb?

The Following User Says Thank You to FNCrazy For This Useful Post:
swarb (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 05:44 AM   #20
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you. Yellows waiting to be installed, better tires on way after wheel is chosen, and, just as the above two were already explained in the thread, if you'd bothered to read the thread you'd know that I'm also fully committed both before and more so after the crash, to take two HPDE classes so I can get my approval at PIR to go out on track days by myself.

Who knows, maybe even more classes! I like to learn. Do you @swarb?

Just adding another opinion.
Yep, I learn every day.
I learn from other's mistakes.
Some people learn the hard way.

Also suggestion to get some good brake pads and fresh/better brake fluid before you hit the track.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #21
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Also suggestion to get some good brake pads and fresh/better brake fluid before you hit the track.
Absolutely! CSG Mike is going to set me up with specific track pads and high quality brake fluid before I go to classes. I can't remember how many track days before replacing fluid again, but I'll ask him once I'm booked and place my orders

The Following User Says Thank You to FNCrazy For This Useful Post:
swarb (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #22
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post

Like Clarkson said when he reviewed the car, that's the beauty of the Prius tires - you're going so slow that if you make a mess of things and are headed for a tree, you can simply open the door and get out.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (07-26-2016), FNCrazy (07-26-2016), FX86 (07-28-2016), wparsons (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #23
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
Like Clarkson said when he reviewed the car, that's the beauty of the Prius tires - you're going so slow that if you make a mess of things and are headed for a tree, you can simply open the door and get out.
I can attest that THAT is incorrect. You can spin going pretty fast too... Although I didn't have Prius tires.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #24
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
When I was on the Prius tires I wasn't getting enough feedback and found I didn't get enough warning before things let go. I had a couple of near misses.
Quote:
I can attest that THAT is incorrect. You can spin going pretty fast too... Although I didn't have Prius tires.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
- Douglas Adams

Best of luck and enjoy the seat time!

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (07-26-2016), FNCrazy (07-26-2016), gramicci101 (07-26-2016), Racecomp Engineering (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #25
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
- Douglas Adams

Hey wait a... Did he... Did he just call me a fool?

Lol

Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #26
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I didn't take it as a dig, no worries. Nothing but truth. In reality, I've driven some pretty exotic cars in some great places, but that doesn't mean I'm incredibly talented by any means.

I have only had this car for a month, I've put no performance mods on it, nothing but a better head unit (and cup holders that were missing).

My goal was to save up money for safety gear and to take a couple high speed performance driving classes (need two before you can go out alone on track days I think) at PIR, then go for an occasional track day once I had any kind of talent.

So, I completely agree with you! I just have been having fun with all traction nannies off, but that morning I must have been just out of my mind. Completely juvenile, dangerous, and not "me."

From now on, traction control stays on at all times. And I will not act like a freakin' 19 year old.

You know the worst part?

I wrote my deductible check, yeah, it would have been enough for my performance driving classes. Ironic.

Good on you for wanting safety gear. For getting your feet wet, you're fine with a helmet plus upgraded pads and fluid, plus trackday insurance from Lockton. If you go to an autocross you don't even need to upgrade the pads/fluid or bother with trackday insurance, and they might have loaner helmets.

The problem most people have is they don't understand how much they don't know about car control. Dip your toes in and you're not going to turn into a hero driver overnight, but you will begin to understand just how much you don't know. This knowledge alone will generate some respect for the car and probably save your butt next time.

So I would encourage you to get out there and not just watch, but participate the first time whether it's autocross or a track day. You've even got people willing to help show you the way. Go make it happen.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-26-2016), Icecreamtruk (07-27-2016), Racecomp Engineering (07-26-2016), strat61caster (07-26-2016), Ultramaroon (07-26-2016), wparsons (07-26-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 03:43 PM   #27
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
- Douglas Adams

Am I reading this wrong, or did you just call me a complete fool for getting the back end out in a stock frs?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #28
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Am I reading this wrong, or did you just call me a complete fool for getting the back end out in a stock frs?
I think you've interpreted it incorrectly, I thought about explaining more thoroughly but decided against it. Here's the long and short of it.

My intent is that you and OP appear to think you know better than Toyota's engineers, Subarus engineers, experienced and respected journalists, racing drivers, enthusiasts, tuning and aftermarket companies, and a huge chunk of trusted drivers education and training materials by blaming the tires for the behavior you experienced.

Yes it's possible to get the ass end out in a stock 86, I did it many times myself. The key there is "I did it", not the tires, not the road conditions, not the suspension design: me. The nut behind the wheel is in full control, placing blame elsewhere is dumb.

Sure the car can be improved, but to imply there's something dangerous or wrong with the car in stock form is foolishness imo.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote