follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #3039
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ'13 View Post
Anyone have hesitation problems around 3-4k rpm? Under light/moderate throttle i notice a very noticiable hesitation/stumble. Notice it most when car is cold
What is your full powertrain setup and which tune are you on?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #3040
BRZ'13

Drives: subaru
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
What is your full powertrain setup and which tune are you on?
Stock motor & tranny
Catless pt tuning header
Nameless 2.5" downpipe/overpipe catted
Stock catback

94 octane custom tune. Car has 27k kms on it.

The stumble is a quick .5 second and i only notice it between 3-4 under partial throttle.
BRZ'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:14 AM   #3041
Xiao Li

Drives: '14 BRZ, '01 S2K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Just curious, when did you order yours?
Jmonty and I ordered ours not too far off from each other and both have the noise.
I received mine in July and got at least 5k miles on with no problems. It started around 2-3 weeks before the date of that video and got increasingly louder. It got loud to the point where I can't comfortable stand in front with the hood open. Serial# was 1440xx if that helps.

Do be prepared to wait for at least 2-3 weeks if you send it in. That's how long I had to wait anyway.

Last edited by Xiao Li; 11-07-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Xiao Li is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xiao Li For This Useful Post:
dkstylezz (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 01:16 AM   #3042
dkstylezz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Rotrex will replace it. I know that painful ear piercing sound. I couldn't stand it with the hood open.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
dkstylezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:25 AM   #3043
Xiao Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstylezz View Post
Rotrex will replace it. I know that painful ear piercing sound. I couldn't stand it with the hood open.

Just got my replacement in today. I never realized how quiet it supposed to be lol. I had gotten used to the old one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xiao Li For This Useful Post:
dkstylezz (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 01:28 AM   #3044
dkstylezz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Li View Post
Just got my replacement in today. I never realized how quiet it supposed to be lol. I had gotten used to the old one.
Mine got a little louder on the replacement but nowhere close to what it did on the first one. I can live with it this time. Did they ever tell you what the cause was? I never got an answer but they did send me a new oil reservoir and new old with new oil filter.... how long did it take ya?

dkstylezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:31 AM   #3045
Xiao Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstylezz View Post
Mine got a little louder on the replacement but nowhere close to what it did on the first one. I can live with it this time. Did they ever tell you what the cause was? I never got an answer but they did send me a new oil reservoir and new old with new oil filter.... how long did it take ya?

They never told me what the cause was, only that Rotrex said it's covered and I also got the same package as you. I waited almost 3 weeks from when JR received the unit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xiao Li For This Useful Post:
dkstylezz (11-08-2015), Jmonty (11-08-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 02:31 AM   #3046
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ'13 View Post
Stock motor & tranny
Catless pt tuning header
Nameless 2.5" downpipe/overpipe catted
Stock catback

94 octane custom tune. Car has 27k kms on it.

The stumble is a quick .5 second and i only notice it between 3-4 under partial throttle.
Time to visit your tuner...
Old 11-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #3047
axelthrasher

Drives: BRZ, 2 WRXs, 818S, motorcycles, etc
For those that may have the RPM stumble...

My car is bone stock except for the JR SC kit, using the JR tune on 93 octane. I get periods of the powerband where it feels off or it is just missing...

I have had the P0172 (System Too Rich Bank 1) and P1170 (Port Injector Fuel Performance) twice in a month. Car was sluggish, felt like it retarded all timing and threw a lot of fuel at it. Cleared the codes, went back to normal.

Talked to Jackson Racing a while back about this issue - they said clean MAF and try to keep the harness extension away from the alternator, that it can cause interference. Did both.

Yesterday was cruising on the highway at about 65-75. Car started feeling strange again... this time I pulled of the road, shut it off. Started the car back up, and it died right away. Popped hood, made sure all throttle body connections, ecu connections, and maf connections were snug. Also ensure battery (positive and negative) were tight, no issues on anything. Started the car again, same thing. Started again, revved it (2-3k) to keep it running and it would stay running, then back to idle it died out. Did this 2-3 times. Let it sit for 5-10 mins and then it started and acted normal.

Now, for the CEL I received during this start/idle issue. P0102 (Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input) and P0113 (Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input).

Anyone experience this before? Any idea on what is actually going on with it?
axelthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #3048
Xuningshen

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post

My car is bone stock except for the JR SC kit, using the JR tune on 93 octane. I get periods of the powerband where it feels off or it is just missing...

I have had the P0172 (System Too Rich Bank 1) and P1170 (Port Injector Fuel Performance) twice in a month. Car was sluggish, felt like it retarded all timing and threw a lot of fuel at it. Cleared the codes, went back to normal.

Talked to Jackson Racing a while back about this issue - they said clean MAF and try to keep the harness extension away from the alternator, that it can cause interference. Did both.

Yesterday was cruising on the highway at about 65-75. Car started feeling strange again... this time I pulled of the road, shut it off. Started the car back up, and it died right away. Popped hood, made sure all throttle body connections, ecu connections, and maf connections were snug. Also ensure battery (positive and negative) were tight, no issues on anything. Started the car again, same thing. Started again, revved it (2-3k) to keep it running and it would stay running, then back to idle it died out. Did this 2-3 times. Let it sit for 5-10 mins and then it started and acted normal.

Now, for the CEL I received during this start/idle issue. P0102 (Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input) and P0113 (Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input).

I got the P0172 before, my Maf was dirty. cleaned it and it was good.

i believe i got p0102 before when my MAF sensor was disconnected ( I was cleaning it) and I turned the acc on to get power steering to push my car off the driveway. Keep in mind the Intake Air Temperature sensor is also on the MAF.
Cosworth_0686 (12-12-2018)
Old 11-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #3049
axelthrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuningshen View Post
I got the P0172 before, my Maf was dirty. cleaned it and it was good.

i believe i got p0102 before when my MAF sensor was disconnected ( I was cleaning it) and I turned the acc on to get power steering to push my car off the driveway. Keep in mind the Intake Air Temperature sensor is also on the MAF.
I cleaned my maf about 100 miles ago. Didn't throw another cel until this latest start/idle issue. I am very meticulous about everything that I do, so I know all connections were tight after maf clean.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #3050
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Li View Post
They never told me what the cause was, only that Rotrex said it's covered and I also got the same package as you. I waited almost 3 weeks from when JR received the unit.
Bummer that it takes that long, guess we should be happy covered under warranty?
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #3051
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post

Something is wonky in the connection from your MAF to your ECU. Both of those indicate that something is disconnected; those are codes thrown when there is *no* reading.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #3052
axelthrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Something is wonky in the connection from your MAF to your ECU. Both of those indicate that something is disconnected; those are codes thrown when there is *no* reading.
Thanks for the suggestion, I am 100% certain that everything is/was tight. I will try to disconnect everything, then plug it all back in, but this is one of the first things I checked as that's what I also assumed.