follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
ironsurfer129

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Is this a busted sway arm bushing?

Lately I been hearing this "clunk" noise when backing out of parking spot while making a full left. It always happen when I back out and seems to come from the front passenger wheel.

I checked all the nut and bolts and they all look normal. Toyota dealer gave me the usual answer of "we didn't hear anything" but we tighten all the bolts.

The only thing I see abnormal is the sway bar bushing possibly from aftermarket header/overpipe.

Is this how a busted sway bar bushing looks like?

If not what else can I check for? I have gone through all other people's thread and went through everything they checked but nothing seems to solve the issue.

ironsurfer129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I wouldn't replace it on looks alone, grab it and shake it to see if there's any play and if you can replicate the clunk.

That's become my go-to suspension clunking diagnostic, grab it, shake it hard, listen. Does it happen at every parking spot or just your regular one? Maybe there's a dip or something in a pavement and it'll make that noise no matter what. Usually if there's something loose it'll make noise over most pavement irregularities.

I'm presuming the coilover is stock otherwise I'd investigate that as what you describe is more akin to a spring noise if it's not the swaybar endlink.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Are you on aftermarket coilovers? Sounds like endlinks. If you do have aftermarket coils & lowered ride height, did you change the endlinks as well? If not I suspect that's the issue.
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
nextcar (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Gets hot behind the overpipe and melts the lube. Just jiggle it like strat says. Poke at it with a screwdriver and notice how supple the rubber is.

Wait, is that a gap in there? Hmmm...
Old 08-25-2017, 01:02 AM   #5
ironsurfer129

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I wouldn't replace it on looks alone, grab it and shake it to see if there's any play and if you can replicate the clunk.

That's become my go-to suspension clunking diagnostic, grab it, shake it hard, listen. Does it happen at every parking spot or just your regular one? Maybe there's a dip or something in a pavement and it'll make that noise no matter what. Usually if there's something loose it'll make noise over most pavement irregularities.

I'm presuming the coilover is stock otherwise I'd investigate that as what you describe is more akin to a spring noise if it's not the swaybar endlink.

Everything on suspension is stock, I checked endlink and the axle as well and I don't see any play in it.

The clunk sound only happen when I back out of driveway or parking lot. No matter where, I will always hear a noise.

Today I tighten all the strut bar bolts and top hat bolt. They are not loose but I was able to get couple turn out from it. Will see what I get in a day or so.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
After that, try disconnecting the endlinks on both sides in the front, and zip tying them out of the way. That will help you to determine if it's from the tophat/strut/hub, OR sway bar/bushings/brackets/endlinks.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Does it happen when you apply the brake in reverse?
Could be the pads sliding in the caliper. There's a tiny bit of clearance front to back.
More so when when cold. They don't want them seizing when hot.

That's pretty common. Both my motorcycles do this and I've heard it on the FR-S too.
It's not an issue other than going 'bonk' once in a while.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-25-2017), Tcoat (08-25-2017), Ultramaroon (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Bushing looks fine to me in the pictures. I would check like others said the end links. Can also check if you have changed your suspension components out that your top nut on the strut/damper to the top hat is tight. When I changed mine I had the passenger front nut come loose on mine and had to retorque it.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Drives: '13 FRS & '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
have you checked the nut on the top of the strut?

I had this issue with mine, same clunk on full locked steering. Mine turned out to be a loose strut nut at the top. worth a shot
xxthrillxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:09 AM   #10
ironsurfer129

Garage
How do I go about checking the endlink? Unbolt it from the strut?