follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2022, 05:20 AM   #1
FRS2017
Enthusiast 86

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Varex or Butterfly Exhaust Muffler

Hello 86s / FRS / BRZ / BMWs,

I am looking to get a butterfly valve exhaust and I know which one I want to get, but not 100% sure if installing a butterfly valve exhaust behind the CAT will cause issues. For instance, too much heat as the cat burns away gases created by the engine.

Hopefully someone can give me an idea as I've e-mailed some shops, but quite lazy reply's to be honest.

This the closest I could find to a compact exhaust muffler that can open and close, by Racecraft:

https://racecraftaus.com/products/el...lled-muffler-3

You may be asking why don't just put it at the back, well I have a TOMEI EXPREME TI TITANIUM EXHAUST and trying not to mess with its current cat back setup.

Any help would be great.
Attached Images

Last edited by FRS2017; 08-14-2022 at 05:30 AM.
FRS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:23 PM   #2
kevaughan

Drives: BMW E30, 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My friend and I have a butterfly valve catbacks setup on our cars, but keep in mind that our set up has the valves are located way in the back where a typical briefcase muffler would sit.

Most of these butterfly valves can traced back to bulk wholesale items found on Alibaba and from our experience they do NOT like heat. The electronic motor that opens and shuts the butterfly valve may fail eventually. Personally that hasn't happened to me yet but there are rumors. Lastly, the valves will seize and get stuck either full open or full closed. My friend is dealing with that right now. Fortunately, we have warranty so our local muffler shop replaces them frequently (about once a year) no questions asked.
kevaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevaughan For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-20-2022)