follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #57
EZWood
BAMF

Drives: 13 fr-s, whiteout, MT. 94 ZJ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If someone can explain how to load videos, I can load an in car video and drive by of full exhaust minus the header with the crank pulley.
EZWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #58
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Hey, thanks for answering my question about the undertray fitting with your header.
Two other questions, from the last 3 threads:
1) Are your parts made in China
2) do the headers throw a check engine light

Thanks again!
1) Each AP FR-S /BRZ exhaust part is being made and test fitted in Arizona. Each exhaust piece made is test fitted to our test car and inspected as a whole before being boxed and shipped. That is the only way to do it currently.
2) No CEL light came on. No CEL was logged in the ECU Current/Historic/Cycle. I looked with my scan tool. Doesn't mean it could not happen. Just saying right now I did not see it like I would on my Subaru. More info will be posted later about this. ECU tune can fix that anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill86 View Post
Please see comment above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZWood View Post
Their parts are made in shop.
Yes and thank you. You have seen all the jigs, prototypes, and work. Even with me posting a photo some people that already own other companies parts still want to ask.

Thank you again for letting us use your car. To be honest I have not had the chance to sit in a FR-S till now. When I moved your car around front last night. I had to take a second and look. These are very well made and very nice inside I was really taken back. There is even a certain weight to the door when closing it. Its not that cheap feel. Nice and solid!

So what do you think? I was behind you when you got on the freeway last night. Sounded great!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #59
vividracing

Quote:
If someone can explain how to load videos, I can load an in car video and drive by of full exhaust minus the header with the crank pulley.
Upload to Youtube and then click options, Long link, Then cut and paste the long link to here.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #60
Cheddar
Saving them pennies...

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Need to do runs in 5th gear which is our 1:1 gear to get as close as possible whp that the engine is producing.

Any other gear under that and your multiplying the actual HP the engine is producing.
Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #61
Cheddar
Saving them pennies...

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsevofq400 View Post
first of all thank you vivid for the hard work. Even though it didn't show the 40wph claimed in the first thread, but at least it clear everything up and at the end this is a product that is a par with other exhaust systems.

Now there are a couple of new question here.

How do one compare dyno runs results with different gears? if a customer is in the market for a exhaust system, I'm sure they'd be interested in know that. how much whp does the 10 whp gain in 3th gear mean in 5th gear?

also should there be a standard gear that all dyno testings should be ran on?
Every car is different. But the ideal gear would be the one with the closest ratio of 1:1. In our case it's 5th gear.
Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #62
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Now add the Takeda intake and see what happens!
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #63
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
Any other gear under that and your multiplying the actual HP the engine is producing.
Sorry what? I'm still newb on this. Can you explain more depth on that, cuz it doesn't make sense in my head.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #64
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
1) Each AP FR-S /BRZ exhaust part is being made and test fitted in Arizona. Each exhaust piece made is test fitted to our test car and inspected as a whole before being boxed and shipped. That is the only way to do it currently.
2) No CEL light came on. No CEL was logged in the ECU Current/Historic/Cycle. I looked with my scan tool. Doesn't mean it could not happen. Just saying right now I did not see it like I would on my Subaru. More info will be posted later about this. ECU tune can fix that anyways.

Yes and thank you. You have seen all the jigs, prototypes, and work. Even with me posting a photo some people that already own other companies parts still want to ask.

Thank you again for letting us use your car. To be honest I have not had the chance to sit in a FR-S till now. When I moved your car around front last night. I had to take a second and look. These are very well made and very nice inside I was really taken back. There is even a certain weight to the door when closing it. Its not that cheap feel. Nice and solid!

So what do you think? I was behind you when you got on the freeway last night. Sounded great!
You could have saved some headaches by stating that the BRZ/FR-S components are the only AP exhaust products currently made in the USA, since the link on AP's site says all are made in China. I mentioned in the first locked thread that I was aware that the exhausts were made in China but that I was also unaware if things had changed. Could have been made clear there: "Most still are, but these are in house at the moment."

On that note are they made from scratch there, or are they made from modified versions of AP-GDA-176 which are Chinese-sourced?

http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/...u4a9tm4p6vduk6

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #65
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
Every car is different. But the ideal gear would be the one with the closest ratio of 1:1. In our case it's 5th gear.
As long as everything they do for the FR-S/BRZ is in 3rd this shouldn't be an issue. The results will be different with other dynos, but that can even happen on the same type of dyno, in the same gear at different shops.

As long as their dyno is always set up the same and always in 3rd, no problem.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #66
EZWood
BAMF

Drives: 13 fr-s, whiteout, MT. 94 ZJ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post

I like it. With the stockmanifold back on I don't get every retard driving a honda trying to race me. Its quieter this way, but I like the extra power that the header gives. I just want to thank you for all the effort that you and everyone down at vivid have put into this job mike. It means a lot that there are people out there that still take pride in everything they do, the quality of the final product and the results really show this.
EZWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EZWood For This Useful Post:
jedibow (07-28-2012), thebear21 (07-28-2012), vividracing (07-30-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #67
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
I like it. With the stockmanifold back on I don't get every retard driving a honda trying to race me. Its quieter this way, but I like the extra power that the header gives. I just want to thank you for all the effort that you and everyone down at vivid have put into this job mike. It means a lot that there are people out there that still take pride in everything they do, the quality of the final product and the results really show this.
And thank you for going in to provide a car
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (07-28-2012), EZWood (07-28-2012), Metabrz (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #68
thebear21

Drives: scion fr-s (RIP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ohhh so now everyone's a believer...hmmmm
thebear21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thebear21 For This Useful Post:
armythug (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #69
vividracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
You could have saved some headaches by stating that the BRZ/FR-S components are the only AP exhaust products currently made in the USA, since the link on AP's site says all are made in China. I mentioned in the first locked thread that I was aware that the exhausts were made in China but that I was also unaware if things had changed. Could have been made clear there: "Most still are, but these are in house at the moment."

On that note are they made from scratch there, or are they made from modified versions of AP-GDA-176 which are Chinese-sourced?

http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/...u4a9tm4p6vduk6
Why would I state that ONLY FRS/BRZ componets are the being made in the U.S.A. Do you know any different? AP was behind in making the 1st run because the AP guys were working on finishing up some 997TT and BMW parts. In House!

Quote:
A large part of what Agency Power produces is with performance exhaust components. Agency Power does not buy off the shelf Chinese exhaust systems like other brands. Agency Power actually prototypes the exhausts here in Arizona using our own or customer vehicles. We then test them on our Mustang AWD Dyno and make changes to achieve the best sound and performance we can get. Our exhaust prototypes are then shipped overseasto be made in large quantity. The reason for this is because of the quality, finish, and cost to produce the item overseas is far better then here in the USA. The stainless steel TIG welding is all robotic and all our exhaust systems feature completely polished piping. We have even introduced titanium mufflers and tips to certain vehicles. The Agency Power exhaust line is the only product that is not manufactured in the USA. We have included images below.
http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/...ID=24&CDpath=0

Where are you getting your facts on this is Chinese knock off stuff? I do not see it posted in link. I mean if we are going to get technical right? "overseas" Doesn't say China. Next, you also claim you knew they were made in China in the 1st thread., but now state you were not aware things have changed. So you really do not know what you are talking about then right. So it would be safe to say maybe you should slow it down. I mean you just made a mistake right? So should I now try and hang you for it? I will point it out but not charge after you over it.

Next you do not listen. The Header is made in house. People that have stopped by have also told you its being made in house. They have seen how its made. And no I am not going to post how we do it. Its been said over and over again.

Now I might check back in here between now and Monday. But since I have weekends off. I missed a Subaru Event invite to Pismo and have a family life. I'm going to go enjoy my day.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to vividracing For This Useful Post:
TPO (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #70
M3MPHIS

Drives: 1997 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did I miss the videos or a link to them? All I can find is the teaser
M3MPHIS is offline   Reply With Quote