follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2022, 10:58 AM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
All and all this whole thread is shady as fuck!
My favorite part is how he irrelevantly plugs his instagram
Th3rdSun (05-18-2022), x808drifter (05-18-2022), YamahaR86 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
My favorite part is how he irrelevantly plugs his instagram.
"No I don’t race the car nor speed. I am still paying it off"
NoHaveMSG (05-17-2022), soundman98 (05-17-2022), x808drifter (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 11:37 PM   #17
Zeuscannon3777

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You have been working on cars since 07'-08' and don't know how to answer this yourself?
I know how cars work. What I am saying. How do I prove they are lying about there being no coolant. I have been looking at the parts list they gave me. Usually when no coolant happens in a over heated engine they also replace the pistons and rings. They are not on the list. Just the whole upper head where the valves are. I’m trying to say it’s a recall and they are saying it’s due to no coolant.
Zeuscannon3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:39 PM   #18
Zeuscannon3777

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
"No I don’t race the car nor speed. I am still paying it off"
I plug my Instagram in there due to not knowing how these forums work. I don’t race due to me wanting to keep the oem internals. I’m trying to keep everything oem so when it’s paid off I can have a oem engine and a hks engine.
Zeuscannon3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:11 AM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
dealers don't normally replace pistons and rings. they'd replace the lower block.

only way to prove there's no coolant is to have had documentation beforehand that you check it regularly. besides that, you'd need to take the car back, and be able to prove that there was no overheating damage to the block, which would likely take a machinist, and not be any cheaper than just replacing the motor.

fact of the matter is it's likely going to be your word against theirs.
NoHaveMSG (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 01:51 AM   #20
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Did you take pictures/video of the dash and engine bay when the car died?

If you had coolant, then the temperature gauge inside the dash would probably be normal. If you had coolant, we May be able to see it if you took pics/vids of the engine bay at the time of failure.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:24 AM   #21
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuscannon3777 View Post
I plug my Instagram in there due to not knowing how these forums work. I don’t race due to me wanting to keep the oem internals. I’m trying to keep everything oem so when it’s paid off I can have a oem engine and a hks engine.
WAT?
A HKS engine for those that don't know starts at like 30k for a stage 1 full block.

Still haven't answered a very important question.
When was the car actually made?
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-18-2022), Th3rdSun (05-18-2022), YamahaR86 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:06 AM   #22
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I know how cars work. What I am saying. How do I prove they are lying about there being no coolant. I have been looking at the parts list they gave me. Usually when no coolant happens in a over heated engine they also replace the pistons and rings. They are not on the list. Just the whole upper head where the valves are. I’m trying to say it’s a recall and they are saying it’s due to no coolant.
Scan and post the work order from the dealer.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
You keep saying it is a "recall" but do you know exactly what the recall entailed? You want them to replace the springs in a burnt up engine? Not even sure what you are trying to get them to do at this point.
There is no real general "usually" involved when an engine is overheated. It totally depends upon the type of engine and just how bad and why it overheated. Burnt valves and seats are a very common result of overheating a boxer engine.
How can you prove there was coolant and they are "lying"? You can't. Especially if they are telling the truth which without any more info than "they are lying because I say so" I tend to believe they are.
NoHaveMSG (05-18-2022), Opie (05-18-2022), soundman98 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 11:02 AM   #24
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
WAT?
A HKS engine for those that don't know starts at like 30k for a stage 1 full block.

Still haven't answered a very important question.
When was the car actually made?

I'm seeing $23k for what they call Short Engine Step 1,Short Engine Step 2 $33k,and Complete Engine Step 3 for $42,600.https://www.hksusa.com/news/hks-comp...-rb26-and-fa20

The point isn't the accuracy of the prices,but the BS that the OP is selling us(seems like a lot of us aren't buying it either).So we are to believe that he's going to put in a motor that costs more than the car itself?! .

He bought the car and didn't know there was a recall on the valve springs?! Really?! So he went out and payed for a car,and has grandiose plans to drop in an engine that's worth more than the car,yet doesn't know anything about the problems that the car actually is known for?!

The more layers you peel back,the more this story stinks.Not trying to be an asshole,but I have to call it like I see it.If you assume that he bought the car for $15k(just to throw out a number),then he's going to drop a $22k motor into it(and that's the cheaper of the three),with financing from the bank(because if he's talking about "when the car is payed off",then there's no way that he's not going to outright pay for the motor),then he's going to be at the very least $45k into it,right? Oh,and in what world does a FA20 motor cost $17k?! C'mon,man! I just did a quick search and found them for well under $3k.

I know plenty of people have made worse decisions with their money,but there's nothing about any of this that makes any sense.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 11:14 AM   #25
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You don't know how to tell what the signs of overheating are? How bad did it overheat though? Most engines I have ever seen that loose coolant or blow a head gasket just need the head decked. The problem with decking a head is you change what we used to call the "stack height" so it throws the cam timing off a few degrees. Just because you lost coolant doesn't mean piston and rings. Sounds like it got warm enough to warp the heads.

Do you even understand the recall? It's been stated multiple times and the signs are pretty obvious and it isn't losing coolant. It sounds like you are just trying to place the blame on whatever you can to avoid paying for it yourself. If you understand how cars work so well, then pull the car from the shop and examine it yourself. Or at least go over there and have them show you the parts. Buy a used long block and swap it yourself, this is about the easiest car to swap an engine on that I have ever touched.
soundman98 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #26
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post

He bought the car and didn't know there was a recall on the valve springs?! Really?! So he went out and payed for a car,and has grandiose plans to drop in an engine that's worth more than the car,yet doesn't know anything about the problems that the car actually is known for?!

The more layers you peel back,the more this story stinks.Not trying to be an asshole,but I have to call it like I see it.
This is hypebeast culture now. Gotta do it for the likes and clout.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:53 PM   #27
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm seeing $23k for what they call Short Engine Step 1,Short Engine Step 2 $33k,and Complete Engine Step 3 for $42,600.https://www.hksusa.com/news/hks-comp...-rb26-and-fa20

The point isn't the accuracy of the prices,but the BS that the OP is selling us(seems like a lot of us aren't buying it either).So we are to believe that he's going to put in a motor that costs more than the car itself?! .

not that far fetched. i've only ever checked for recalls once. that was on the brz, when the spring recall stuff started hitting the fan, and people's motors were sucking up sealant. i just wanted to know if it applied to my car, and if i could still register without doing the recall.

Quote:
The more layers you peel back,the more this story stinks.Not trying to be an asshole,but I have to call it like I see it.If you assume that he bought the car for $15k(just to throw out a number),then he's going to drop a $22k motor into it(and that's the cheaper of the three),with financing from the bank(because if he's talking about "when the car is payed off",then there's no way that he's not going to outright pay for the motor),then he's going to be at the very least $45k into it,right? Oh,and in what world does a FA20 motor cost $17k?! C'mon,man! I just did a quick search and found them for well under $3k.

I know plenty of people have made worse decisions with their money,but there's nothing about any of this that makes any sense.
i can't find subaru's part number for a motor, or new cost, but it seems some reddit threads speculate that a replacement motor+install would be $6-9k. so $17k for a brand new motor and dealer install sounds feasible...

and yes, a used motor could be had for $3k, but going to a dealer for service, they're likely going to use new parts wherever possible...

just sayin... there could be some truth to the story, but there's never a happy ending in a witch hunt.
FRSapex (05-19-2022), NoHaveMSG (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 12:42 PM   #28
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
not that far fetched. i've only ever checked for recalls once. that was on the brz, when the spring recall stuff started hitting the fan, and people's motors were sucking up sealant. i just wanted to know if it applied to my car, and if i could still register without doing the recall.

i can't find subaru's part number for a motor, or new cost, but it seems some reddit threads speculate that a replacement motor+install would be $6-9k. so $17k for a brand new motor and dealer install sounds feasible...

and yes, a used motor could be had for $3k, but going to a dealer for service, they're likely going to use new parts wherever possible...

just sayin... there could be some truth to the story, but there's never a happy ending in a witch hunt.

I agree,it's not far fetched,but like I said,it seems strange for someone that has plans of dropping in a motor that costs more than the car itself.Usually,when doing an engine swap,don't you not only know what you are swapping to,but what you are swapping from?

And if the dealership is going to quote you $17k for parts labor on a new motor and the car probably isn't even worth that much,would the dealership try to get him to buy a new car? Maybe they did,maybe they didn't,but him not mentioning it just further makes me suspicious of this story.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote