follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow What Will Void My Warranty ?

Hey guys , im wanting to install Greddy Intake and Evo3 exhaust within the next year or teo... Im curious as to if this installation will void my warranty incase anything happens to the engine or anything else. If it does void, what should I do before bringing the dar back to get serviced? Put everything stock back on?
Thanks for the help !
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Any aftermarket pretty much voids the warranty but the dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part itself is the direct cause of a failure. And yes i would recommend put things back to stock if something does fail.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Doing what is happening in the image will!

All joking aside, anything that the dealer can prove broke the affected item can "void your warranty".

Note that if you modify your suspension and your window motor goes out they can't deny that claim because the parts are unrelated.

Now they have to prove it but it still can be a hassle making you hire a lawyer to fight it etc if they choose to challenge you on the issue.

Springs, coilovers and suspension parts are pretty safe bets but they won't warranty a strut if you switched the springs.

Cat back exhausts are pretty safe, a drop in filter is 100% safe. If you add a cold air intake I would recommend taking it off if you bring it in for warranty work on the motor.

I personally wouldn't mess with any pulleys, it is way to easy for them to blame engine issues on them.

ECU flashes are iffy, if they can detect it they can use it to deny motor claims.
Attached Images

jadewbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
lmao thats a funny picture, thanks alot for the 411 the lawyer will def be a bitch to get and cost probably just as much money as it would to fix the problem. intake will be easy to put back on if need be but the exhaust will be a pain in the neck. im probably not going to do a tune until my 5 year warranty runs out then ill just go crazy with aftermarket stuff as by then there will be much more stuff out there. Hopefully TRD aftermarket stuff is out soon and will be installed by the dealer so my warranty wont be voided. did you hear about any TRD dealer installed parts yet ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewbj View Post
Doing what is happening in the image will!

All joking aside, anything that the dealer can prove broke the affected item can "void your warranty".

Note that if you modify your suspension and your window motor goes out they can't deny that claim because the parts are unrelated.

Now they have to prove it but it still can be a hassle making you hire a lawyer to fight it etc if they choose to challenge you on the issue.

Springs, coilovers and suspension parts are pretty safe bets but they won't warranty a strut if you switched the springs.

Cat back exhausts are pretty safe, a drop in filter is 100% safe. If you add a cold air intake I would recommend taking it off if you bring it in for warranty work on the motor.

I personally wouldn't mess with any pulleys, it is way to easy for them to blame engine issues on them.

ECU flashes are iffy, if they can detect it they can use it to deny motor claims.
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
TRD intake and exhaust is going to net you 5whp. If you want to spend your money on better performance, upgrade the suspension or be serious and drop the 10k on a turbo kit. Everything else is just for noise.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
ShoShin

Drives: WRB Premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i'm curious to know if a dealer has tools that can determine if an ECU has been tuned. I'm under the assumption that we would reflash the ECU back to stock settings before heading to the dealer.
ShoShin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
31katys

Drives: whiteout mt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The dealer has to prove that your aftermarket part caused damage to whatever you are trying to warranty.

Also, Scion corporate told me over the phone that TRD would be in the US within 6 mo. I asked them when they called to ask about my survey answers lol. How accurate that is, I don't know. But at least it's something.
31katys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greddy, intake, void, warranty