follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #2801
shr133

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgogeta View Post
Any new updates or upgrades on the Edelbrock? Haven't been on forums forever but been running edelbrock kit without issues for past year now.

Current setup is just- edelbrock kit +JDL UEL header, 3" perrin running 265whp on 6AT tuned by Bob at Drift Office

Took it to drag strip yesterday for shits ran 14.01 @ 101 mph all night, was trying so hard to break into 13's lol the 6AT really holds me back can't launch for shit
There are the calculated torque maps that control the trans lock up. Map #2 for 1st and 2nd and map #1 for 3-6.

Softening up map 2 is like having a stall converter so you have to balance drive ability and launching. Or make a custom map for drag racing.. I'm setting up different modes, mode 1 valet, 2 daily driving, 3 drag racing, 4 max power..

I think I can launch close to 2000 RPM but I could make it higher... Plus You need higher quality trans fluid, you need to flush out the fluid and at least go to full synthetic and think about adding a trans cooler... Some people add a few quarts of dexron 3 for harder lock up... I run a mix of dexron 3 and 4.

The drag guys really soften these maps up but not good for the street.

So ask bob about setting up a drag mode, better launch rpm, less low rpm and 1 gear wheel spin ect....
Enkei TS9 18 X 8, Michelin Sport 4S 225 40 18, Flex Fuel, Edelbrock Supercharger, P & L header, Nameless front pipe, V1 cat back, Aluminum Driveshaft, pvc delete, med duck bill, KW V3, Whiteline 20 and 18 mm bars, Buddy Club and SPL control arms, Toe Arms, motor and trans mounts, Whiteline bushings, SHR stage II tune.
shr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shr133 For This Useful Post:
kidgogeta (05-24-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #2802
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
So, more information on the throttle issue...

Returning home from traveling at the weekend, I got stuck in Portland traffic for a good 90 minutes or so, so it gave me the chance to explore.

For the first ten minutes, everything was fine with no issues and then it started happening again.

It's stop-and-go traffic, so I bring up the clutch pedal with minimal revs and pull forward. As I dip the clutch pedal, the revs fly up to 3,000 revs and bounce between that and around 900 constantly. I bring up the clutch pedal again and pull forward and the process starts all over. Here's the interesting part that I learned this time...as I stop, I put the car into neutral and the issue goes away completely. If I leave it in 1st, it revs a couple of times and eventually settles down. As an experiment, I put it in 1st and crept forward after bringing the clutch pedal up again, but this time, I coast slightly downhill (clutch pedal depressed fully) and leave the gear in 1st and the revs continue to swing. While still continuing to coast, I take it out of gear into neutral and the revs calm down and are stable at 950rpm.

So, this only seems to happen in gear...I don't know why, but it sure is strange.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #2803
Rob37072

Drives: Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know what to do to measure the hot side AC port? My manifold gauges won't fit on the hot side because of the supercharger manifold.
Rob37072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #2804
BertoFT

Drives: 13 FRS Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This post is half me venting and the other half bringing this thread back to the top.

I ordered my EBSC kit from summit racing and it arrived a few days later, but in bad shape. Summit is blaming it on UPS. A replacement kit is already on the way.

From reading through build threads, I felt packaging or shipping would be my least concern. Did anyone here have any shipping issues besides backorder delays?

Also, this is going on a 2013 daily driver, manual with 90k miles. I hope to have before/after dynos with more details soon.
Attached Images

BertoFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #2805
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I know johan had a crack in his manifold from his Harrop kit and I’m pretty sure it was the shippers fault but im not sure. Have you seen videos of shippers throwing boxes?
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #2806
Proseph

Drives: Supercharged 2016 CBS BRZ
Has anyone tried upgrading their intercooler? Is it even possible?
Proseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #2807
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proseph View Post
Has anyone tried upgrading their intercooler? Is it even possible?
It would be challenging to upgrade the air to water heat exchanger built into the combined supercharger/intake manifold.

The small radiator (mounted in front of the A/C condenser) that cools the water can be fairly fairly easily upgraded. The question to ask is if there is a need. I would guess it's sized properly up to a certain point. To upgrade you would have to think about system coolant capacity, airflow, "dwell time" in the manifold heat exchanger, flow rate through the system, pump capacity. Depending on how well Edelbrock (and Harrop and Sprintex) did the homework, it might be hard to improve on their work.

Of course, it's fairly easy to monitor intake temps before and after a heat exchanger swap too.
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-06-2018), Proseph (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #2808
Proseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
It would be challenging to upgrade the air to water heat exchanger built into the combined supercharger/intake manifold.

The small radiator (mounted in front of the A/C condenser) that cools the water can be fairly fairly easily upgraded. The question to ask is if there is a need. I would guess it's sized properly up to a certain point. To upgrade you would have to think about system coolant capacity, airflow, "dwell time" in the manifold heat exchanger, flow rate through the system, pump capacity. Depending on how well Edelbrock (and Harrop and Sprintex) did the homework, it might be hard to improve on their work.

Of course, it's fairly easy to monitor intake temps before and after a heat exchanger swap too.
Thanks a lot. I was just wondering... I most likely won't do it. Would also have to account for the size of the intercooler.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #2809
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
With an intercooler capacity increase, the dwell time would increase due to the volume flow rate not changing. Most likely you would go with a thicker core, not wider. A thicker core would increase the pressure differential across the intercooler and force more air around the sides, so a little baffling would likely need to be built to hold enough pressure on the front side of the unit. It's just a matter of how much more cooling are you adding vs weight of the the thicker core and added volume. I'd experiment with adding baffling around the edges of the current design first to direct the air flow. Could also put a nitrous intercooler chiller system on it.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #2810
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertoFT View Post
This post is half me venting and the other half bringing this thread back to the top.

I ordered my EBSC kit from summit racing and it arrived a few days later, but in bad shape. Summit is blaming it on UPS. A replacement kit is already on the way.

From reading through build threads, I felt packaging or shipping would be my least concern. Did anyone here have any shipping issues besides backorder delays?

Also, this is going on a 2013 daily driver, manual with 90k miles. I hope to have before/after dynos with more details soon.
Holy crap they shipped that UPS? That's asking for disaster.

CSG ships these exclusively by freight, to avoid that issue. Kits are delivered on a pallet, even to a home, and is included free of charge with each kit.

The kit itself can easily be lifted off of the pallet by 2 people, or 2 people can even hand carry the entire pallet.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
TRDan (06-06-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #2811
Proseph

Hey guys, I have the edelbrock kit along with Ace cs400 headers/overpipe. The car is way too loud. I have a 3 inch front pipe and invidia n1 catback. Any ideas what I can do to quiet it down?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #2812
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys, I have the edelbrock kit along with Ace cs400 headers/overpipe. The car is way too loud. I have a 3 inch front pipe and invidia n1 catback. Any ideas what I can do to quiet it down?
The excessive sound has less to do with the supercharger and more to do with having pretty much the loudest exhaust setup possible short of straight pipes. Switch to stock front pipe + stock catback or other low noise catback (CSG Touring86, ACE Laguna 90, Greddy Supreme SP, etc.).
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horrid_Funk For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-20-2018), JimmyMac (06-20-2018), Proseph (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #2813
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Factory catback or maybe a Ace Laguna. Add tips if you want something dramatic. Your problem is the Invidia N1.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
JimmyMac (06-20-2018), Proseph (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #2814
BertoFT

Drives: 13 FRS Firestorm
I have an N1 catback with stock headers, and it is very loud. Your biggest problem is the N1. The Q300 doesn't drone or make as much noise, but it has a higher note.

N1 catback vs Q300 catback

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
BertoFT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BertoFT For This Useful Post:
Proseph (06-20-2018)