follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
sammitch

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake lights wont work

Anyone have a problem where their brake lights wont come on when they press the brake pedal. My 2017 brz has 36k miles on it and I was driving 4 hours back from vacation and about an hour in, my ABS light and TC light both came on. I had my friend follow behind me and he said the brake lights were also not working. If I turn the car off and back on, the ABS light and TC light turn off until I press and hold the brake pedal for a few seconds. However, my brake lights never start working again. I wired in a 4th brake light, however this problem didn't start till 1000 miles after installing it. I even took the light out and re-wired the stock harness back together.

I think it is the brake pedal sensor that is faulty and I want to know if I can just use the one from the toyota 86 or if I have to get the subaru one even though its the same car?

The dealership keeps feeding me bs to get my money so they arent any help.
sammitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammitch View Post
Anyone have a problem where their brake lights wont come on when they press the brake pedal. My 2017 brz has 36k miles on it and I was driving 4 hours back from vacation and about an hour in, my ABS light and TC light both came on. I had my friend follow behind me and he said the brake lights were also not working. If I turn the car off and back on, the ABS light and TC light turn off until I press and hold the brake pedal for a few seconds. However, my brake lights never start working again. I wired in a 4th brake light, however this problem didn't start till 1000 miles after installing it. I even took the light out and re-wired the stock harness back together.

I think it is the brake pedal sensor that is faulty and I want to know if I can just use the one from the toyota 86 or if I have to get the subaru one even though its the same car?

The dealership keeps feeding me bs to get my money so they arent any help.
Switch. The 86 and BRZ ones are the same thing.

Here are the service manuals that will show what you need to do.

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal/

I do presume you have checked the fuse right?
humfrz (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Welcome to the group, there, sammitch -

In addition to what Tcoat said, you may wish to jump the brake light switch to see if it's working.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote