follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
learn me, getting motorcycle license

First off please dont say google. I know and i am. I just thought there are automotive enthusiasts here and would like to put in their knowledge.

Basically my work schedule has been shit this year and ill have 2 - 3 weeks consecutive vacation soon. I want to make the focus of it getting my motorcycle license and buying a bike. This will be in about a moth from now.

Where should i look for getting some lessons? How is the license exam? Do i buy one before i go to exam? Insurance? Gear?

All input and advice appreciated.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
slowstang

Drives: '14 Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
They're probably booked solid for a few months, but a local MSF course is what you really want to start off with. Down here they have them at some community colleges, and they last Friday night, all Saturday, and Sunday morning. You get some classroom time, then lots of parking lot time. You use their bikes and do tons of parking lot riding, people that had never touched a bike before left the course riding pretty well. The super bonus of it all is that you get a certificate for your motorcycle license endorsement. After passing the written bike permit test at the DMV and getting your permit, you give them the certificate and you get your license instantly. Without that, you have to schedule a riding test at the DMV, which they sometimes only do on certain days, and you're on your own to have a bike you can ride. Their parking lot riding test is pretty difficult too (I'd argue somewhat unreasonable), but you can do some Google-fu on that.

Edit: To add, the motorcycle permit's only restriction is that you can't have a passenger, and since it's only a written test, you can study for a couple hours, pass that, and you're free to get a bike and ride all you want, it's good for 18 months if I remember correctly, and i think you can take it again when it expires, effectively having an infinite permit.
slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to slowstang For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-01-2015), e30kawi (09-07-2015), mn_ca (08-31-2015), Special_K (09-01-2015), tyrantcf (08-31-2015), ZionsWrath (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowstang View Post
They're probably booked solid for a few months, but a local MSF course is what you really want to start off with. Down here they have them at some community colleges, and they last Friday night, all Saturday, and Sunday morning. You get some classroom time, then lots of parking lot time. You use their bikes and do tons of parking lot riding, people that had never touched a bike before left the course riding pretty well. The super bonus of it all is that you get a certificate for your motorcycle license endorsement. After passing the written bike permit test at the DMV and getting your permit, you give them the certificate and you get your license instantly. Without that, you have to schedule a riding test at the DMV, which they sometimes only do on certain days, and you're on your own to have a bike you can ride. Their parking lot riding test is pretty difficult too (I'd argue somewhat unreasonable), but you can do some Google-fu on that.

Edit: To add, the motorcycle permit's only restriction is that you can't have a passenger, and since it's only a written test, you can study for a couple hours, pass that, and you're free to get a bike and ride all you want, it's good for 18 months if I remember correctly, and i think you can take it again when it expires, effectively having an infinite permit.
Pretty much spot on.

I too took the MSF course even though I had experience (required by law at the time due to my age). There were people who had never ridden a motorcycle and seldom a bicycle and they could actually ride by the end of the course.

After you pass that, you go to DMV and in California at least, you would need only to take the written exam to be issued a M1 license. The MSF course eliminates the need to do the DMV skills test. When I did my course, I believe the cost was about $200.

For the exam, they can provide a helmet and gloves if necessary.
ZionsWrath (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
mn_ca

Drives: 2013 frs, 2005 is300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowstang View Post

In MN, with a permit: you can't ride at night, can't have a passenger, and MUST wear a helmet. Not sure what your states are like. But overall, easy

Good luck
mn_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mn_ca For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
RustySocket
Slow Learner

Drives: 15 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have ridden bikes all my life. The biggest mistakes new riders make is overconfidence and too much bike. Absolutely take the MSF course. Get in the habit of wearing safety gear all the time, even if it's just a ride around the block.

One of the best things you can do is purchase a used Honda 250 Rebel or Nitehawk from craigslist. You will quickly outgrow it but it will be something you can handle and will make passing your exam much easier. You will also be able to sell it for little or no loss. Resist the urge to get a 600 or larger sportbike. Anything with lots of plastic fairings will break the bank when you need to repair them after your first drop. And you will drop the bike. It's not a matter of if, but when.

People will not see you on a bike, they will turn left in front of you, they will pull out in front of you, they will rearend you at stoplights. Ride like you are invisible and that everyone is out to kill you.

Again, get signed up and take the MSF class. When you complete it sign up and take it again the next year.
RustySocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RustySocket For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (09-01-2015), Dadhawk (09-01-2015), tyrantcf (08-31-2015), ZionsWrath (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Looks like @slowstang and @RustySocket pretty well have it covered, take an MSF course, buy a <600cc bike for your first season and remember you have a cloak of invisibility, no one can see you so your arse is in your own hands.

In many states, if you pass the MSF course you don't have to take a riding test at the DMV, another benefit of taking the course. If you can't find one directly, you might try your local Harley dealer. In Georgia just about all of them offer MSF sanctioned courses, and you don't have to buy a Harley.

I've been riding for over 40 years, and I go back and take the MSF course (or one of their advanced courses) about once every five years. It keeps you from developing bad habits. I always do it if I go a couple of years between bikes.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (09-01-2015), RustySocket (09-02-2015), Tcoat (09-01-2015), ZionsWrath (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Thanks for the tips. This is what I found. $350

https://www.ridemss.com/msf-motorcyc...c-ridercourse/

A lot of options for October dates.

I will be buying a small bike and mainly for commute although I'm sure the bug will bite me and I'll go for something bigger.

For gear really I want a one piece suit but not sure that is feasible starting out. What you recommend for helmet?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
malave7567

Drives: (formerly) 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm partial to Shoei myself, but my biggest advice on helmets is to go to a store and try out the fit on many different helmets until you find the correct fit. The correct fit should not be too loose. If the helmet isn't nice and snug (while still comfy!), it could possibly roll off your head in the event of contact with the pavement. Shoei helmets fit my head shape very well, so it's the brand I stick with.

Make sure the helmet carries Snell M2010 or M2015 certification.

I took MSF Basic rider course two years ago. I was new to riding. Now I absolutely love it. Since I've been a city commuter with minimal highway trips, my CBR250R has lasted me a long time. I'm just now shopping around for a bigger bike, something in the Sport-Touring category.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malave7567 For This Useful Post:
srizzors25 (09-01-2015), ZionsWrath (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #9
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
I will be buying a small bike and mainly for commute although I'm sure the bug will bite me and I'll go for something bigger.

Good move. If your round-trip is less than 100 miles you might want to look at some of the electrics. I've been eyeing them (they ride just like "real" bikes) but the range isn't long enough for my commute. The only problem some will say is that they are quiet, but despite popular belief it isn't loud pipes that will keep you safe.

Quote:
For gear really I want a one piece suit but not sure that is feasible starting out. What you recommend for helmet?
I'm not a fan of one piece suits, but that will come down to a personal preference.

As far a helmet, like @malave7567 says, the most important thing is fit. Go to a big bike shop that has someone that can help you. Also, for a new rider, you don't need any distractions so DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES buy a Bluetooth helmet that syncs with your phone. It is cool and all, but it will very likely be a problem.

Also, don't cheap out, buy a name brand, and expect to spend stupid money on it, and don't buy used you can't always tell if they are damaged. When I first started riding Bell Helmets had an ad that always stuck with me "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
malave7567 (09-01-2015), ZionsWrath (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Electrics? New to me lol. My round trip is 60 miles Max.

What type of gear you use and why?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
malave7567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Also, for a new rider, you don't need any distractions so DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES buy a Bluetooth helmet that syncs with your phone. It is cool and all, but it will very likely be a problem.
I agree on this too. I spent my first nervous months riding with nothing extra in my helmet. Once I got more comfortable, I got a Sena SMH-10 for my helmet. Great unit. I still don't like to try to speak on the phone (You can speak to answer, which I do. Then normally tell the person that I will call them back later), but having access to my music helps me keep my sanity in Houston traffic.
The Following User Says Thank You to malave7567 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
malave7567

Quote:

What type of gear you use and why?
What I always ride in is:
1) Helmet
2) Motorcycle jacket with CE armor in the necessary places (tons of options on what you want here)
3) Jeans w/overpants (I really need to buy riding jeans with armor built in)
4) Riding boots (the ones I'm currently using are more of a dual-purpose, where they can be comfortably worn as a high-stop sneaker or casual shoe as well. Again, tons of options out there.)
5) Riding gloves, cold weather or mesh with armored knuckles for warm weather.

I personally shop at revzilla.com most of the time, but you can also go into a local CycleGear even to try the fit on some of the name brand stuff. I sometimes buy their Bilt in-house brand for stuff like helmet socks or thermal liners.
The Following User Says Thank You to malave7567 For This Useful Post:
TwoChicksOneSTI (09-03-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
What I always ride in is:
1) Helmet
2) Motorcycle jacket with CE armor in the necessary places (tons of options on what you want here)
3) Jeans w/overpants (I really need to buy riding jeans with armor built in)
4) Riding boots (the ones I'm currently using are more of a dual-purpose, where they can be comfortably worn as a high-stop sneaker or casual shoe as well. Again, tons of options out there.)
5) Riding gloves, cold weather or mesh with armored knuckles for warm weather.

I personally shop at revzilla.com most of the time, but you can also go into a local CycleGear even to try the fit on some of the name brand stuff. I sometimes buy their Bilt in-house brand for stuff like helmet socks or thermal liners.
I don't ride myself, but wanted to stress how important it is to get all of the riding gear. I have a friend who is a new rider and dumped his bike over the weekend. He had everything but riding pants on, just regular jeans. While the rest of him wasn't hurt, his legs were torn up pretty badly. One gash was only a few inches from a birthmark as well, which would have resulted in a trip to the hospital; for a crash that couldn't have been over 10 mph. Buy it, and wear it. Always.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
malave7567 (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:

There are several plug-in bikes on the market, if you like the style. Zero Motorcycles and Brammo are the two I've looked at. Victory (Polaris) has just rolled one out as well.