follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
BuckTheStallion

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 - Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Seibon Factory Style Fenders - Installed!

Story time. I pitched my 86 in October of 2019. It was a brand new model, had only been driven to a demo, and had about 300 miles on it (still sold as new and the price point was good). I picked it up and drove it home and all was well. Fast forward 12 days, and low and behold, I exit my workplace to find a huge crease in one of the fenders. I'm pissed. Long story short, after hunting down security footage I found out which coworker it was, and long story short, he's gonna be covering much of the cost of the shiny new fenders you'll see if you scroll down.

To keep it brief, an aftermarket replacement fender through the local body shop was going to cost more than just getting some Seibon carbon fenders, having them clear coated, and installing them. So I decided to go that route. He'll be reimbursing me once we get back to work (we are both teachers). Now onto the fun parts!

The install was straightforward and simple, just a lot of bolts and clips, a few of which were in tight and hard to reach places. I fit the fenders before having them coated so I knew they were factory-like fitment, had them coated professionally, and then installed them last night when the desert sun started to break, giving some much needed relief to the 112f+ heat. It was sweaty, tiring, and took about 4 hours with breaks for dinner and AC, but all in all, it was difficult. I had to sand a couple holes for clips to fit into, but all of the structural holes were spot on or close enough to wiggle into place. Fenders are secured. The quality was a solid 9.5/10 with fitment being maybe a 9/10. It's not factory exact, but it's certainly very close, with the biggest noticeable changes being that the fender seam at the door sits about 1mm further out than factory, and the hood seams are a hair wider as well. All in all, definitely satisfied!

Now onto overall appearance. I haven't swapped over the garnishes yet, and the little good trim pieces are being a little feisty to fit (probably need to sand out those holes too) but the majority of the install is done. The look is extremely understated on an Asphalt Gray 86, almost too understated, but when they catch the light just right they look OOOOH SO GOOD. Enjoy!
Attached Images

beltax90 (02-06-2021)