follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
maui86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vland Headlights - Quick Re-pin How to - Recommendations for use and optimal output

Recently acquired a set of Vland headlights for my FR-S at a substantial discount that I couldn't pass up. Got the units in my hands and found the headlights to be plug and play for 8-pin BRZ, with no 8-pin to 6-pin adapters to be found in the box. Looked around online and found that many of the Vland headlights being sold by their myriad of resellers no longer come with the "low spec" 6-pin harness. So, with a bit of digging and some trial and error, I successfully repined the Vland's to the stock FR-S 6-pin connector, and only had to tap 1 wire on each side for to activate the turn signals (apparently with the 8-pin to 6-pin adapter you're still required to tap 3 wire's to activate the turn signals and boomerang.) Here's what you'll need to do to re-pin as I have:

Note: This guide is for standard halogen equipped FR-S models. I believe Monogram/RS/10 series models have different connectors/pin arrangement.

Note 2: Idea for this write up came after installing, as such I have no pictures of the re-pining process at this time.

1. Remove all pins from both your 6-pin connector and the 8-pin Vland connector.

2. Insert Vland wires in the 6-pin connector in this order:

Key: [Pin #: | Vland wire color | (OEM pin assignment)]

Pin 1: Red (High beam + )
Pin 2: Black (Low Beam Ground)
Pin 3: Green (Low Beam +)
Pin 4: Black (High Beam Ground)
Pin 5: Black (Parking Light Ground)
Pin 6: White (Parking Light +)

3. You will be left with the single YELLOW wire remaining. You will need to add an extension to this wire to use to tap the RED turn signal power wire attached to the stock FR-S turn signal connector to enable the Vland turn signals. The quick way will be to remove the remaining pin on the YELLOW wire, connect it to a 20ga extension wire with a butt connector, and then use a t-tap to connect this wire to the RED turn signal power wire that runs to the lower bumper mounted FR-S turn signals. Users familiar with wiring may want to solder these connections instead.

4. You will now have 3 wires coming out of a small rectangular box towards the middle/bottom of the headlight. These wires are for the in car height adjustment motor which the halogen equipped FR-S does NOT have. Tape them up/ignore them. Leave the box intact as you will still need access to it to manually adjust your lights (see below.)

5. Your Vlands should now be fully functional, with the boomerang activating when either parking light or headlights are engaged.

-- Notes, Recommendations, Observations --

Headlight Aim:
LOTS of comments online similar to this direct quote: "the boomerang looks sick but I can't see $h!t at night" - This is 100% user error. From what I have been able to gather, the majority of people saying this do not realize that they need to adjust the lights with the 2 aim adjusters, as Vland has the projectors aimed at the ground out of the box. There are 2 adjusters on the back of the headlights, at or close to where aim adjusters are normally placed on aftermarket headlights: 1 gold/brass colored metal adjuster in the outer corner nearest the projector, 1 white plastic adjuster on the rectangular headlight motor box. Both are easily adjusted with an 8mm socket. The white adjuster lowers and raises your headlight beam, while the gold/brass adjuster moves the beam side to side diagonally towards the upper right or lower left. I recommend using a Gearwrench for adjusting the easy to reach white adjuster, and a socket wrench with a long flexible extension(s) to adjust the hard to reach gold/brass adjuster once the headlights are installed on the car. Adjustments happen in very small increments, so expect to have to crank the Gearwrench for quite awhile to get the beam to a proper height - I counted around 100 1/4 to 1/2 turn cranks to get it to the correct level on first use. If you need to adjust side to side, do this first before raising/lowering via the white adjuster as it will raise/lower the beam slightly while adjusting sideways.

Bulbs/Output:
Again, like most aftermarket lights of this type, the manufacturer provides a plug for a standard H7 halogen bulb. However, it seems the projectors they use in the Vlands are some variant of the G5-R projectors. These are extremely capable clear lens HID projectors with fantastic distance and width when aimed correctly and paired with the proper bulbs. For best results, I highly recommend OSRAM Cool Blue Intense D2S bulbs be installed in these headlights. While not cheap, these OEM quality bulbs are some of the best available and typically outperform lower cost aftermarket alternatives. I previously ran these bulbs in my last pair of retrofitted headlights (in branded Q5-r projectors,) and now run a new set of OSRAMs in these Vlands. The output is a very nice upgrade in performance from my already well performing previous build.

The Vlands accommodate D2S bulbs perfectly via the included D2S bulb holders, (tip: the return wire should be pointed down when inserted and the two nubs on the bulb base should be horizontal when installed) but you will need either D2S compatible ballasts or 2 AMP to D2S ballast adapters along with extended headlight dust cover caps to accommodate the D2S connections. These may be purchased via most sellers of headlight retrofits/parts.

Update: Output shots here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...7&postcount=10

Turn Signal Speed:
If you watch videos of these headlights installed, you'll noticed the turn signals blink sequentially, but a rate that's just a bit too fast - Despite there apparently being a resistor wired inside the headlights to prevent hyper blink. The fix for this is to use a flasher relay (Diode Dynamics SmartTap, Tap Turn, etc.) that you would normally install to prevent hyper blink with LED turn signal bulbs. This allows you to retain the Vland sequential turn signal, but slows it down just enough to make it flow considerably better when active.

Hopefully this helps save some time for anyone needing this information. Enjoy.
Attached Images

Last edited by maui86; 07-01-2020 at 06:23 PM.
maui86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
letmethefuqin

This is great!

Thanks,

However, what about the reverse, fitting a 6 pin to an 8 pin loom?
Will i loose my xenon/hid ?
letmethefuqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
D2S bulbs will not mount, nor will the cap fit on the back. I would love to see a picture if you got them to fit and mount. D2H, not D2S. It is easier anyways.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #4
maui86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
D2S bulbs will not mount, nor will the cap fit on the back. I would love to see a picture if you got them to fit and mount. D2H, not D2S. It is easier anyways.

Correct. The cover won't close without the extension I mentioned added on to the cover. Something like this or similar:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5LJBF6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I recommend D2S as the Osram Xenarc CBI's are only available in OEM (D2S, D1S, D4S, etc.) fitment.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
maui86

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmethefuqin View Post
This is great!

Thanks,

However, what about the reverse, fitting a 6 pin to an 8 pin loom?
Will i loose my xenon/hid ?

That I can not say for sure, but there should be a way to do so as you rarely but sometimes see higher spec BRZ's refitted with low spec GT86 halogens lights in other regions.

Last edited by maui86; 05-28-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
Correct. The cover won't close without the extension I mentioned added on to the cover. Something like this or similar:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5LJBF6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I recommend D2S as the Osram Xenarc CBI's are only available in OEM (D2S, D1S, D4S, etc.) fitment.
How does the bulb attach and stay in place and hooked up?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #7
maui86

Quote:
How does the bulb attach and stay in place and hooked up?
The green bulb holders that I mention above have a small plastic nub on the interior which is used as an alignment guide for the bulb - D2S bulbs have a small notch in the base which align with this nub. When installed, they lock onto the projector and hold the bulb in place.

After that you have a few options which I also touched on above to power them:

Best option: OEM D2S ballast

Less costly option: Aftermarket AMP ballast with D2S to AMP adapters. There are two type of adapters: A straight through design which keeps the wires traveling straight out the back of the dust cap extension but protrudes farther out from the back of the bulb when used, and a right angle design which guides the wires towards the sides of the dust cap, mimicking the layout of an OEM ballast connector.

I personally prefer the straight through design. The adapters and additional bulb holders can be purchased from places like The Retrofit Source, Lightwerkz, ebay, Aliexpress, amazon etc. Retrofit places usually have OEM ballasts, but you will be paying more for them than aftermarket ballasts (i.e. TRS has USED Denso slim OEM ballasts that have been waterproofed for $280)
Old 05-29-2020, 01:29 AM   #8
Irace86.2.0

I think if the D2S could be made to fit then couldn’t the D4S? I didn’t use the D4S system from the BRZ headlights because the brackets on the OEM headlights were nothing like the VLands, and I didn’t know about the extension cap option. I could have saved some money and complexity.

D2H was a simple plug n play.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
maui86

Quote:
I think if the D2S could be made to fit then couldnÂ’t the D4S? I didnÂ’t use the D4S system from the BRZ headlights because the brackets on the OEM headlights were nothing like the VLands, and I didnÂ’t know about the extension cap option. I could have saved some money and complexity. D2H was a simple plug n play.

I'm not 100% sure on that as I haven't used D4S, but from discussion I've seen I believe they would fit, but may be slightly dimmer than a comparable D2S bulb due to differences in D4S bulb and ballast design. D2H is simpler to get up and running, and definitely better than an H7 halogen, but having compared Osram D2S to various aftermarket D2H and D2S bulbs over the years in my personal setups, I've always found the Osram's to be superior in brightness, color, and lifespan.

If you still have your BRZ OEM bulbs and ballasts around, you may want to see if you can get the D4S bulb to fit properly in your Vlands, and if they do fit get an extension for the cap and run those, keeping the D2H bulbs/ballasts as backup or vice versa. I think the OEM D4S will still outperform the aftermarket D2H setup, unless you were running aftermarket 50w ballasts which might be brighter at the expense of bulb life and the life of your projector coating.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #10
maui86

Output shots

Bulbs used: OSRAM Xenarc Cool Blue Intense D2S

Low Beam:

High Beam:

Cutoff:

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to maui86 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 04:36 AM   #11
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Brah das some bright headlights! Howzit from Oahu!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #12
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
Bulbs used: OSRAM Xenarc Cool Blue Intense D2S
‘That output looks like cheap, crappy, Chinese projectors for sure. Why did you purchase such crap?’ More evidence for the haters.

Tags
vland