follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #43
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLaw View Post
Five and a half years ago, I bought the best driving car I have ever owned. It’s been there through multiple road trips, track days, the adoption of two fur-babies (and all the adventures that came from them), an engagement and a wedding. With a tear in my eye, it’s with great sadness that I part with my beloved BRZ. It’s never left me stranded and never failed to bring a smile to my face. I hope it’s next owner cherishes it as much as I do.

Unfortunately adult life requires me to purchase a more practical vehicle, and As much as my wife and I have tried, we can’t afford to maintain and insure two cars. She is now back to stock, and awaiting to be traded in tomorrow. I’m going to miss her.

I wanted to thank the community here for the endless advice, DIY instructions, debate, conversations and most of all the friendships I’ve gained. Who knows, perhaps one day, I’ll be back.

Cheers.

That is sad. Hope you enjoy the next car.

With the same reason, I just bought a Mazda 3 to drive with my kids. Fortunately, I will keep my FRS and I will drive it alone and only in good weather now.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #44
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
@WC-BRZ I can't quote you.

This ^
I had my own suspicions as to where things were headed but when @ichitaka05 interviewed Tada and came here and stated "If you have a first Gen keep it. If you don't then buy one now" that clinched it for me. He obviously knows more than he can say and I respect his silence but that statement is ominous. It could just be confirmation bias on my part since his comments support my prior thoughts on what was coming but I decided to stay with a new first gen based on it.

There are actually two ways I see this car going and neither one looks good to me and my desires.

If ichi and I am right (through my earlier thoughts and his implied statements) then it will be a higher volume car built for mass public appeal. I do not want a glorified two door Corolla with god only knows what powering it.

If the rest of the internet is right (I have about a 1% level of belief they are) then the next gen will be a high HP turbo, Mustang killer with all the changes to the platform it takes to support that. There are already plenty of cars out there that meet that description and I didn't buy any of them so why would It suddenly be what I want?

I bought the FRS in the first place because it was the ONLY car on the market checked all my boxes. It is an inexpensive, fuel efficient, RWD, NA, hard topped car with 4 seats and that is hard to come by. If they deviate from this combination at all then it no longer checks all the boxes. There are other cars that I would consider better at many of the individual aspects so if looking at just one part of the equation instead of the whole package there are better choices.

I love the current gen since it is a relatively unique little car that is right at home in my daily highway commute but still has the ability to be wrung out when the limited opportunity arises. I have had my share of high HP and turboed cars in the past and no matter what anybody says you sacrifice some things that make a great DD to have that power that you (or at least I) can only use for maybe 2% of your driving time.

Having the current gen power is like having a really hot looking mistress that is subdued and undemanding during the day but can easily turn into a passionate and exciting lover with just a slight change in how you handle her.
A much more powerful version is like having that gorgeous girl that everybody lusts after but she is a psycho bitch that spends all your money and if you do even the slightest thing wrong she try's to kill you or have you arrested. Fine for a weekend but you don't want to live with her all the time.

Annnnnd this^

The first release track record for both Toyota and Subaru have not been stellar over the last few years. The shopping list of issues with the early 13s, the Supra power change debacle and the 6 recalls in the first year of my wife's new platform 2017 Impreza all have me gun shy of a first MY release. If the Second Gen doesn't match ichi's nor the internet's predictions and is spectacular then I still do not want to be a first adaptor. I will leave that up to others and patently wait until my all the bugs are worked out 2020 is 4 or 5 years old before jumping on the bandwagon.
Having a Supra myself, this is what I have to say.

Toyota stated up front, that they'll be updating the car every year. The internet has this well documented with dated posts, press releases, interviews, etc. People typically hear what they want to hear, and this was often gleaned over.

Personally, once fuel delivery is figured out, I'll prefer the higher 11:1 comp of my engine vs the 10.2:1 already in the Z4; the power delivery and turbo spool is vastly different even with just the small changes. I'm not looking for a 800whp monster; I don't need the lower compression.

I worry that a TNGA based 86 will not be as good as the current one.... but who knows. I can say I was pleasantly surprised by how well the TNGA based Prius and Camry handle. I can confidently say that while the 86 offers a better driving experience, the V6 Camry is faster around most road courses!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (02-25-2020), Tcoat (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #45
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Having a Supra myself, this is what I have to say.

Toyota stated up front, that they'll be updating the car every year. The internet has this well documented with dated posts, press releases, interviews, etc. People typically hear what they want to hear, and this was often gleaned over.

Personally, once fuel delivery is figured out, I'll prefer the higher 11:1 comp of my engine vs the 10.2:1 already in the Z4; the power delivery and turbo spool is vastly different even with just the small changes. I'm not looking for a 800whp monster; I don't need the lower compression.

I worry that a TNGA based 86 will not be as good as the current one.... but who knows. I can say I was pleasantly surprised by how well the TNGA based Prius and Camry handle. I can confidently say that while the 86 offers a better driving experience, the V6 Camry is faster around most road courses!
Isn't TNGA for FWD/4WD and transverse engine? It would be disappointing to end up with a FWD, transverse engine 86. Well, I am sticking with my FRS anyway.
CSG Mike (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #46
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Isn't TNGA for FWD/4WD and transverse engine? It would be disappointing to end up with a FWD, transverse engine 86. Well, I am sticking with my FRS anyway.
LC/LS/Crown are RWD and also TNGA based.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #47
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
LC/LS/Crown are RWD and also TNGA based.
Those are large, heavy, and expensive though. They will still need a new TNGA variation for 86. I hope they give just a facelift to current platform.
CSG Mike (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #48
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Those are large, heavy, and expensive though. They will still need a new TNGA variation for 86. I hope they give just a facelift to current platform.
Yes to the bolded part.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-25-2020), mrg666 (02-26-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #49
BobR24

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I worked for 42 years to put together my stable. The first thing I did was build a garage to put them in and then started collecting one at a time.
Retired now, spending half the year in the mountains of Western North Carolina and enjoying driving my toys.
There are always low mileage examples out there and with the internet you can find them.
Don't get discouraged, keep focused, work hard and you will get there.
Attached Images

BobR24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobR24 For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (03-10-2020), Tcoat (03-09-2020)