follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2023, 03:55 AM   #1
IhaveBRZ

Drives: 2017 Silver BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT with Skunk2 headers

I just bought an open flash tablet and skunk2 headers are on their way. The engine has no other mods except an oil cooler. My goal is to maximize power at high RPMs for track use, and retain fuel economy/ drivability at low RPMs around town.

What's the best tune to start with? wayneroms.com has a short EL 4-2-1 tune and a long (ACE) EL 4-2-1. The skunk2 headers are 4-1 and seem to be "medium" length compared to other headers. Which of these would be best? If there are other options out there I'd love to hear about them.

What parts of a tune would you expect to change if it's optimized for given headers? Is there a formulaic way of making this change myself?

Skunk2 Headers

OFT reads my Calibration code as ZA1JK00C. Wayneroms doesn't have this, but it does have K00G hacked to appear as ZA1JK00C. Does this mean my ECU has been flashed already? I was under the impression it was stock. It's a 2017 BRZ with the red intake manifold
IhaveBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:32 AM   #2
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
oft v4 and wayne roms are euro tunes hacked to k00c,, and this is not bad at all!

i've tuned one of this header here in italy and while they have a bit bad of a torque dip, they pull super strong at high rpm
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhaveBRZ View Post
I just bought an open flash tablet and skunk2 headers are on their way. The engine has no other mods except an oil cooler. My goal is to maximize power at high RPMs for track use, and retain fuel economy/ drivability at low RPMs around town.

What's the best tune to start with? wayneroms.com has a short EL 4-2-1 tune and a long (ACE) EL 4-2-1. The skunk2 headers are 4-1 and seem to be "medium" length compared to other headers. Which of these would be best? If there are other options out there I'd love to hear about them.

What parts of a tune would you expect to change if it's optimized for given headers? Is there a formulaic way of making this change myself?

Skunk2 Headers

OFT reads my Calibration code as ZA1JK00C. Wayneroms doesn't have this, but it does have K00G hacked to appear as ZA1JK00C. Does this mean my ECU has been flashed already? I was under the impression it was stock. It's a 2017 BRZ with the red intake manifold

I have to ask. Since you're listed as a CA resident. Are you keeping everything else in the exhaust stock? I'm only asking because I know CA has very strict noise levels and this uncatted header might be very loud if you pair it with certain exhaust combinations. Not to mention, emissions, it would fail visual test if they perform one. Unless of course I am wrong and it only applies to certain parts of CA.

I believe one of our former members does custom tunes for OFT, which I cannot recommend enough as he worked on my car and the results were amazing.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:11 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
If your goal is to "maximize" then I would talk to someone about having a custom tune done. I'd also look at flex fuel.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:12 PM   #5
IhaveBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I have to ask. Since you're listed as a CA resident. Are you keeping everything else in the exhaust stock? I'm only asking because I know CA has very strict noise levels and this uncatted header might be very loud if you pair it with certain exhaust combinations. Not to mention, emissions, it would fail visual test if they perform one. Unless of course I am wrong and it only applies to certain parts of CA.

I believe one of our former members does custom tunes for OFT, which I cannot recommend enough as he worked on my car and the results were amazing.
I'm keeping the rest of the exhaust stock. I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to myself. Most (all?) of the mods I'm doing to this car are purely functional, and AFAICT catback exhausts don't do anything but change the sound.

AFAIK all of CA is the same. I'll take it off to get the car smogged if I have to. Or move.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:20 PM   #6
IhaveBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
If your goal is to "maximize" then I would talk to someone about having a custom tune done. I'd also look at flex fuel.
Okay, I guess by maximize I meant "maximize to the extent I can get good bang-for-buck."

I like the idea of flex fuel except it seems like ethanol is going to dissolve half of what it touches. The goal of the project is to have a reliable track workhorse.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Okay, I guess by maximize I meant "maximize to the extent I can get good bang-for-buck."

I like the idea of flex fuel except it seems like ethanol is going to dissolve half of what it touches. The goal of the project is to have a reliable track workhorse.
I paid like 200 for a custom FF tune.

Reread on running flex fuel on these cars, tons of guys have been doing it for a decade with no issue. Just a few outliers have had issues.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #8
tomm.brz

this car has no problem with e85 even if you use only e85 for 10 years straight
Old 04-06-2023, 01:51 AM   #9
IhaveBRZ

Okay, so it sounds like flex fuel is a much better option than I thought. I might do it in the future, but not right now. I only want to do a few mods at once.

Someone around here (can't remember who or where) said that they got big bump in performance from headers and a tune, then only a small bump from e85. Should I only expect small gains if I already have the headers+tune?
Old 04-06-2023, 01:53 AM   #10
tomm.brz

maybe he hasn t a good tune, the bump to e85 is pretty obvious
Old 04-06-2023, 01:59 AM   #11
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Get an @AussieBRZ [https://www.ft86club.com/forums/member.php?u=248926] tune
Old 04-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

These cars are not a 1954 Belair with natural rubber and cork seals that dissolve in alcohol. Cars have bee built to take ethanol at any level since about 1995.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:56 AM   #13
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Running 94oct pump a good tune will make a difference. Back to back flashes I could pick up the added mid range smoothness/pull with custom tuning vs OFT OTS when I ran that setup.

Also briefly ran two custom tunes when I installed the JDL EL with ecutek. One tune ran much better than the other with better drivability. I had the good tune done via tomm and the car still runs great after putting on a few thousand winter KM since.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (06-20-2023)

Tags
openflash tablet, skunk2, wayneroms