follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
mikltov

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
mishimoto oil cooler install in fog light duct help

Hi guys, I'm about to purchase the mishimoto oil cooler http://www.mishimoto.com/subaru-brz-...er-kit-13.html
I was wondering if anyone knows what I need to install it in the fog light duct since I will be getting a avo turbo kit in the near future and don't really want to sit in in front of the intercooler? are there any other options?
thanks.
mikltov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
AZOOZ_95
Middle Eastern 86

Drives: RED GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Try the HKS S-Type Oil Cooler
Old 11-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
jblmr2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I installed this kit on my car last spring. The problem will be the oil lines, they are made specifically for placement of the cooler directly in the middle in front of the radiator. Being as they are a steel braided design, they are not easy to bend or manipulate. Measure your line length carefully before buying this kit, or buy the parts independently and have the lines made locally. You may also want to look into the Perrin kit. The lines in it are rubber. If you do a little research here I'm sure you'll find a DIY for installing a Forester oil cooler in an 86. It doesn't use an independent cooler.
jblmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
As others mentioned this kit will not work with fi kits. The lines are very stiff and the oil cooler is pretty large. 19 row
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:58 AM   #5
mikltov

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yeah im thinking of going with the full blown oil cooler, pretty cheap and fits in the fog light duct.
mikltov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikltov View Post
Hi guys, I'm about to purchase the mishimoto oil cooler http://www.mishimoto.com/subaru-brz-...er-kit-13.html
I was wondering if anyone knows what I need to install it in the fog light duct since I will be getting a avo turbo kit in the near future and don't really want to sit in in front of the intercooler? are there any other options?
thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
As others mentioned this kit will not work with fi kits. The lines are very stiff and the oil cooler is pretty large. 19 row
Thanks for considering our oil cooler kit for your vehicle. As others have mentioned, our existing kit was designed with N/A vehicles in mind, and will be a bit challenging to modify for functionality with a FMIC.

We have had a few recommendations for a FMIC specific kit, and we have a local vehicle willing to help us out with the fitment process. If we get enough interest for a kit such as this, we can certainly consider beginning the R&D process. As of now, it is possible to shorten the braided stainless steel lines for fitment in the fog lamp area. A bracket would need to be created for mounting a heat exchanger in that location. It may be easier to fit our smaller, 10-row oil cooler. We would have to bring a vehicle in to check for fitment of our 19-row unit.

Thanks again!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Thanks for considering our oil cooler kit for your vehicle. As others have mentioned, our existing kit was designed with N/A vehicles in mind, and will be a bit challenging to modify for functionality with a FMIC.

We have had a few recommendations for a FMIC specific kit, and we have a local vehicle willing to help us out with the fitment process. If we get enough interest for a kit such as this, we can certainly consider beginning the R&D process. As of now, it is possible to shorten the braided stainless steel lines for fitment in the fog lamp area. A bracket would need to be created for mounting a heat exchanger in that location. It may be easier to fit our smaller, 10-row oil cooler. We would have to bring a vehicle in to check for fitment of our 19-row unit.

Thanks again!
Yup work great on NA cars! I like the mounting bracket and how it mounts. Nice job guys.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Yup work great on NA cars! I like the mounting bracket and how it mounts. Nice job guys.
Thanks for the kind words!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avo, cooler, mishimoto, oil, turbo