follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #43
Delfin

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 GT Manual Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I say that in a few years it will be sought after almost like the old Supra. I’ll never get rid of mine. I treat it as a high end Ferrari. Lol.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #44
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Same here. You simply can't get a car like this anymore. I will take mine to the grave. Hope to hit 200k miles with mine.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantedTaken For This Useful Post:
Delfin (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 12:56 AM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
Agreed, it has been sad the way folks have reacted. It seems, after the first year, it's truly faced an uphill battle. No clue what the revision supposedly holds but I'm excited for it. Loving my new-to-me 2015 manual FR-S. It's truly the most fun I've ever had in a car.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
The people it was targeted at are still buying. The ones it was never built for abandoned it or never bought it in the first place. Why would we expect everybody to like it because we do? Did you get excited when Chrysler rolled out the Pacifica? Of course not but many many people did.
There is no "battle", uphill or otherwise. They built a car for a very small market and that market is still buying. They knew it would be a small market and planned accordingly.
The revision can really only go two ways. It will either remain much as it is with little change or it will morph into something that may be very different but have the same name. It would not take a major change to alter the characteristics the car has now. That would move the market to a different crowd and then the people that like what it is now will be the ones that walk away.
new2subaru (02-02-2019), nikitopo (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #46
jrb363

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The people it was targeted at are still buying. The ones it was never built for abandoned it or never bought it in the first place. Why would we expect everybody to like it because we do? Did you get excited when Chrysler rolled out the Pacifica? Of course not but many many people did.

There is no "battle", uphill or otherwise. They built a car for a very small market and that market is still buying. They knew it would be a small market and planned accordingly.

The revision can really only go two ways. It will either remain much as it is with little change or it will morph into something that may be very different but have the same name. It would not take a major change to alter the characteristics the car has now. That would move the market to a different crowd and then the people that like what it is now will be the ones that walk away.
One change, or option, I'd like to see is a 3-door hatch option like the old school 86. The backseats are all but useless and having extra flat storage would be preferable, at least to me.

Plus, unless they pull a Mazda design, I like the wider views out the back given by larger window design. (think Scion tC but attractive)

jrb363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #47
jrb363

Quote:

I doubt it will morph into anything. They know what they have and have mentioned that numerous times. A shift death would be to change the dynamics or purpose of this car. I agree...without their market niche the platform doesn't exist.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #48
Tcoat

Quote:
One change, or option, I'd like to see is a 3-door hatch option like the old school 86. The backseats are all but useless and having extra flat storage would be preferable, at least to me.

Plus, unless they pull a Mazda design, I like the wider views out the back given by larger window design. (think Scion tC but attractive)

Quote:
I doubt it will morph into anything. They know what they have and have mentioned that numerous times. A shift death would be to change the dynamics or purpose of this car. I agree...without their market niche the platform doesn't exist.

See that is it. To get the two seater hatch back the car would have to morph. They went into detail as to why they went with a coupe and to change it to a hatch would require some substantial alterations to the chassis. It would either have to gain weight or lose rigidity and possibly even gain girth. It is the restrictions of the design and changes would be unavoidable. So how many of these changes would it take to consider it morphed to a different vehicle with the same name?
A two seat hatch would certainly open up a new subset of buyers but probably not enough to make it a two version car. At least not at a price point that the target audience would pay. If they made just the two seat hatch then they totally close the door on one small group and open it for another. Personal opinions about the usefulness of the back seat aside many would not have bought the car without i. I for one don't use the seat often but when I need it I need it. People would just say that without that back seat it is just a larger, heavier, hard top Miata and it would lose market share. That back seat is a selling point to many of the current owners.
Dadhawk (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #49
suzyj

Drives: 2018 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think the car is pretty close to the mark style-wise. To my mind improvements would come from development of a transaxle rather than the conventional gearbox and differential. Combining the gearbox with the diff pushes a lot of weight to the back. It means the transmission hump could shrink significantly, allowing the front seats to be moved closer together without blowing foot room. While they’re at it they could further lower the seats, and knock 5cm off the bonnet height and roof height. Then they could put the car on a serious diet, and get it under a tonne stock.

That’d be a nice car.
suzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #50
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
I think the car is pretty close to the mark style-wise. To my mind improvements would come from development of a transaxle rather than the conventional gearbox and differential. Combining the gearbox with the diff pushes a lot of weight to the back. It means the transmission hump could shrink significantly, allowing the front seats to be moved closer together without blowing foot room. While they’re at it they could further lower the seats, and knock 5cm off the bonnet height and roof height. Then they could put the car on a serious diet, and get it under a tonne stock.

That’d be a nice car.
I am not sure that anyone can build a car that weighs under a ton and will still sell in the NA market. Mazda made a heck of a good try with the ND but even that tips the scale at over a ton. Kei cars will not sell here nor will that pass US crash requirements.

With Ford and GM abadoning the car market in favor of Crossovers SUVs and trucks, I am hoping that Toyota/Subaru will see that there is still a market for people who would rather drive nimble and sporty cars and keep producing the 86 or something like it for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #51
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I say that in a few years it will be sought after almost like the old Supra. I’ll never get rid of mine. I treat it as a high end Ferrari. Lol.
I doubt it. These cars are flooded in used car lots and just many exist in general. You would have to give it at least 50 years before these cars begin to increase in value.
FD RX7s only just began to go up in value. You can pick one up for $15-20k, and they are hard to find.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal3000 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #52
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
I doubt it. These cars are flooded in used car lots and just many exist in general. .
There are tons of modded riced out turds with salvage titles.
Forget in the future, it is very hard to find a clean used example, even today.

Finding a low mileage, unmolested, manual gearbox with clean title?
Those will be VERY hard to find.
That does not mean they will spike in value, however, since demand was never big in the first place.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #53
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
There are tons of modded riced out turds with salvage titles.
Forget in the future, it is very hard to find a clean used example, even today.

Finding a low mileage, unmolested, manual gearbox with clean title?
Those will be VERY hard to find.
That does not mean they will spike in value, however, since demand was never big in the first place.
Maybe local to the "Sun" where you are but the majority are not modded out turds. Good clean examples are the probably the majority but the owners don't hang out on forums so the perception is skewed.

Doesn't matter because the cars will still not be worth shit even when time passes. They just don't have the same mystic or rep that the Supra or others that have gone up in value to stupid levels do.
You can buy a 73 240Z now for around $30K. This sounds cool until you consider that to get that kind of money you can't drive the car and still have to store it and pay for upkeep for decades. In the end you would have lost a shitload on it.
So buy an 86. Immediately park it in a climate controlled location (removing this location for other uses and still paying for it). Don't ever, ever put miles on it. Change the oil at regular intervals. Put new tires on it once a decade or so. Run it long enough (without moving it) to burn off all moisture in the system about once a month. Do this for 40 years and then sell it for $50K. Oh wait... that is $50K after 40 years of inflation so numerically it gained value but in reality you probably made under $40K in 2019 dollars. Probably put $10K into it over those years. So now you are lucky to break even.
All you can do is hope that it is featured in a block buster movie and video games at some point before you have stored it too long so that a bunch of guys that have never driven one all of a sudden lust after them.
jrb363 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #54
jrb363

Quote:
Maybe local to the "Sun" where you are but the majority are not modded out turds. Good clean examples are the probably the majority but the owners don't hang out on forums so the perception is skewed.

Doesn't matter because the cars will still not be worth shit even when time passes. They just don't have the same mystic or rep that the Supra or others that have gone up in value to stupid levels do.
You can buy a 73 240Z now for around $30K. This sounds cool until you consider that to get that kind of money you can't drive the car and still have to store it and pay for upkeep for decades. In the end you would have lost a shitload on it.
So buy an 86. Immediately park it in a climate controlled location (removing this location for other uses and still paying for it). Don't ever, ever put miles on it. Change the oil at regular intervals. Put new tires on it once a decade or so. Run it long enough (without moving it) to burn off all moisture in the system about once a month. Do this for 40 years and then sell it for $50K. Oh wait... that is $50K after 40 years of inflation so numerically it gained value but in reality you probably made under $40K in 2019 dollars. Probably put $10K into it over those years. So now you are lucky to break even.
All you can do is hope that it is featured in a block buster movie and video games at some point before you have stored it too long so that a bunch of guys that have never driven one all of a sudden lust after them.
Agreed on all counts. I buy cars to enjoy them, not hope they appreciate in value a few decades from now. Hell, I doubt the government will even let us put gas powered cars on the road by then.

The Following User Says Thank You to jrb363 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #55
Tcoat

Quote:
Agreed on all counts. I buy cars to enjoy them, not hope they appreciate in value a few decades from now. Hell, I doubt the government will even let us put gas powered cars on the road by then.

Well in another 40 years we will be getting close to 2112 so maybe it will be the Syrinx Priests that won't let us have cars!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_6dkzL4VS4&list=RDm_6dkzL4VS4&start_radio =1[/ame]
Old 02-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #56
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Even the fabled 90s Supra, that is finally starting to reach collector prices, is not getting much more than its original selling price when you take inflation into account.
Dadhawk (02-04-2019), Tcoat (02-04-2019)