follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 08-18-2020, 06:02 AM   #3823
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKaGorganZola View Post
Bummer looks like I got unlucky and got a bad map sensor. Bill and Nazar are taking care of things for me so fingers crossed they can get one out to me quickly
$30 on Amazon next day with prime if you don't want to wait.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gloonge For This Useful Post:
aKaGorganZola (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #3824
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
$30 on Amazon next day with prime if you don't want to wait.
Got the new sensor in but it's still reading wrong. Ran through some basic troubleshooting last night but ran out of time. We'll see what they come up with today.
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #3825
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
So both sensors read the same (incorrect), I tried flashing in the Edelbrock tune which got a different reading I the map sensor but still wrong. Delicious is testing another new sensor and dbox in house on their car and are overnighting that out to me. I've checked and double checked all the connections, tried using the Edelbrock harness instead of the dbox harness, made sure none of the harnesses were pinched and nothing. Even Bill said he's pretty stumped on this one hence the new sensor and dbox combo. So fingers crossed it's something weird in the harness or I somehow got 2 bad sensors in a row...
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #3826
MaxTurbo

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
Let me know when you have an answer from Delicious, I'm having a similar issue with my DT tune that I need to send logs for

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
So I finished the tuning with DT. A total of 8 revisions and a month later. Had three remote tuning appointments. I also changed the spark plugs, used cleaned/checked DI injectors with new seals and checked the coils & replaced two (exhaust side of the engine). Running fresh 93 oct from different sources, to test out.

The IAM still drops a bit now and then while making boost in high gear and low RPM. However, it comes back
to 1 shortly after. I won't put it against DT, could be a specific issue with my engine. They did made it much better by the end. At one point I tried Edelbrock's tune and wow, that one was awful with my car and drop of IAM very easily. At one point I saw it down to 0.35.

I'd try CSG, but the issue does not warrant spending another $500. For track events, I'm planning in using a quality octane booster to increase it to roughly 98-100 oct. Just as a bit of insurance and reduce the risk of knocking. Unfortunately, there's no E85 in my area.
MaxTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #3827
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurbo View Post
So I finished the tuning with DT. A total of 8 revisions and a month later. Had three remote tuning appointments. I also changed the spark plugs, used cleaned/checked DI injectors with new seals and checked the coils & replaced two (exhaust side of the engine). Running fresh 93 oct from different sources, to test out.

The IAM still drops a bit now and then while making boost in high gear and low RPM. However, it comes back
to 1 shortly after. I won't put it against DT, could be a specific issue with my engine. They did made it much better by the end. At one point I tried Edelbrock's tune and wow, that one was awful with my car and drop of IAM very easily. At one point I saw it down to 0.35.

I'd try CSG, but the issue does not warrant spending another $500. For track events, I'm planning in using a quality octane booster to increase it to roughly 98-100 oct. Just as a bit of insurance and reduce the risk of knocking. Unfortunately, there's no E85 in my area.
DO NOT use octane booster. Use 100 octane unleaded.

Octane booster will permanently destroy your O2 sensor and spark plugs.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #3828
MaxTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
DO NOT use octane booster. Use 100 octane unleaded.

Octane booster will permanently destroy your O2 sensor and spark plugs.
Mike, what about something like TORCO F500010TE Unleaded, that claims to be O2 and cat safe? My plan was to use half a can (about 16oz) per fillup. That's pretty much what I use at the track and way back home to dry the tank out.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #3829
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mike, what about something like TORCO F500010TE Unleaded, that claims to be O2 and cat safe? My plan was to use half a can (about 16oz) per fillup. That's pretty much what I use at the track and way back home to dry the tank out.
If it was that easy, fuel companies would use it instead of selling you 100/101 octane unleaded, and make WAY more money.

Look at your O2 sensor before you use it, and then after. You'll see a orange/red deposit that never completely goes away and gets worse every time you use Accelerator.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
AKITA (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #3830
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I used boostane for a while supposedly a lot better than Torco essentially the same thing but supposedly way more stable in the fuel once mixed wont separate. My 02 Sensors have had no issues, I’ve heard the MMT (main ingredient to increase octane) can ruin cats but I don’t own any of those.

Here are my plugs pulled at 13k miles, 11k on boostane, 3k of which was NA (5k total) and 8k with FI, car ran with no issues when i pulled them just have an addiction for modding...

Also when i was custom tuned NA my final 7th revision was pretty aggressive and IAM would drop somewhat frequently typically multiple times per drive tuner said to go back to less aggressive revisions 6, decided to use 8oz boostane per 12gallons, and continue using tune 7, Monitored IAM everyday/drive and it never dropped once. Sent a new log in of revision 7 with boostane he said everything looks phenomenal.

Similar story when i tuned with FI with 2 different tuners. (Multiple setups)

Not saying to do it or don’t do it. Just my personal experience with it. I have recently since stopped using it and using e40-45 instead. Part of the reason I pulled plugs just to see after switching fuels.
Attached Images

86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
MaxTurbo (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #3831
MaxTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I used boostane for a while supposedly a lot better than Torco essentially the same thing but supposedly way more stable in the fuel once mixed wont separate. My 02 Sensors have had no issues, I’ve heard the MMT (main ingredient to increase octane) can ruin cats but I don’t own any of those.

Here are my plugs pulled at 13k miles, 11k on boostane, 3k of which was NA (5k total) and 8k with FI, car ran with no issues when i pulled them just have an addiction for modding...

Also when i was custom tuned NA my final 7th revision was pretty aggressive and IAM would drop somewhat frequently typically multiple times per drive tuner said to go back to less aggressive revisions 6, decided to use 8oz boostane per 12gallons, and continue using tune 7, Monitored IAM everyday/drive and it never dropped once. Sent a new log in of revision 7 with boostane he said everything looks phenomenal.

Similar story when i tuned with FI with 2 different tuners. (Multiple setups)

Not saying to do it or don’t do it. Just my personal experience with it. I have recently since stopped using it and using e40-45 instead. Part of the reason I pulled plugs just to see after switching fuels.
Thanks for the feedback. I have two 32oz cans and three trackdays coming up. I'll give them a try and check the plugs and O2 after all that. I have a Sunoco (not on the way to the track) that has 100oct pump gas, but I'd need three 5gal jugs... Maybe next year I'll get a small trailer. Don't like to carry jugs inside the car.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #3832
Chris3007

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Hi guys, another bypass valve victim. I got a replacement, old style as I did not feel like removing the supercharger. For those of you who have changed it out, how far do you thread on the lock nuts and how tight? I feel like when I remove the old one the lock nuts were not on very far nor tight. I do not want to over tighten these any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Chris3007; 08-21-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Chris3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #3833
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3007 View Post
Hi guys, another bypass valve victim. I got a replacement, old style as I did not feel like removing the supercharger. For those of you who have changed it out, how far do you thread on the lock nuts and how tight? I feel like when I remove the old one the lock nuts were not on very far nor tight. I do not want to over tighten these any suggestions would be appreciated.
Finger tight. They cannot take a whole lot of torque before stripping.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Eyo For This Useful Post:
Chris3007 (08-21-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #3834
ArrrBussiere

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ SC & 2018 Tacoma
What is everyone running for a clutch with their kits?

My stock clutch is starting to slip pretty bad doing pulls in 4th 5th and 6th (90k miles on car, 15k of that w/ SC kit) and I am going to be buying one here in the next week. Looking at the Comp Stage 2 clutch right now - any other recommendations while I'm getting this done?
ArrrBussiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #3835
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrBussiere View Post
What is everyone running for a clutch with their kits?

There's a clutch thread somewhere .. people review different models

I have South Bend stage 2 daily mated with new OEM Exedy flywheel but I only have about 1000 miles on it (500 before SC, 500 with), but it does work very well at the moment, feels very OEM with a little more bite. It's supposed to be able to handle 315 ft/lb. I don't know about this or how long it will last but others have some mileage on them with forced induction. From the reviews of ACT, South Bend seems a little tamer. (the clutch disk that comes with the kit is Exedy, only the pressure plate looked like it was done by South Bend). For someone looking for DD that has track ability here and there, I recommend it.
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #3836
ArrrBussiere

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ SC & 2018 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKITA View Post
There's a clutch thread somewhere .. people review different models

I have South Bend stage 2 daily mated with new OEM Exedy flywheel but I only have about 1000 miles on it (500 before SC, 500 with), but it does work very well at the moment, feels very OEM with a little more bite. It's supposed to be able to handle 315 ft/lb. I don't know about this or how long it will last but others have some mileage on them with forced induction. From the reviews of ACT, South Bend seems a little tamer. (the clutch disk that comes with the kit is Exedy, only the pressure plate looked like it was done by South Bend). For someone looking for DD that has track ability here and there, I recommend it.
I am going to comb through some clutch threads here shortly but figured I would try to mitigate a ton of reading about non-SC cars and ask my fellow charged brethren right off the get-go, haha

I will look into that company! The comp stage 2 is rated to 225 at the wheels which is probably just fine, but I also know the car puts down around 280 so I'd like to find something that is closer in rating to the one you suggested! Time for more research!

ArrrBussiere is offline   Reply With Quote