follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #43
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiscott View Post
Thanks for the heads up Dev. Hope to see you out next season. What's your new line in two? Enter wide?

I'm actually quite enjoying the detail you are all going into on the units. I am definitely going to be wanting one of those two units. Both sound great. The more back and forth discussion that goes on the better for me making an informed decision.

Knowing things like OS Giken doing setup and rebuilds as well as gear oil being much cheaper for the Cusco are both great examples of those tidbits I'd have never known otherwise.

It's difficult for you as you're not around frequently enough to see how many of the"fast" guys do t2 when they think no one is watching. Note how the outside curbing seemingly ends short? Notice how the concrete curbing on the inside starts really, really early?

Try entering T2 really tight, you may find it works for you. It certainly did for me.

Powered by Great North Performance, Jani-King Canada, and OK Tire.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorpedo For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (09-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #44
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
What is/are the consequence/s of using non-OSG oil in a OSG diff?
You can use any full synthetic (75w-140 or higher) that does not have any limited slip additive.
Based on my personal experience with their unit for 240sx and miatas, stay away from Royal Purple gear oil, seems to be too slick and locking is hindered a lot.

The OSG fluid is a bit expensive, but seemed to provide the smoothest and most consistent lock. On the plus side it lasts pretty long. I would change fluid once every 18mo or so (20k-ish street street, 15-20 autox events per year).
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (02-10-2016), CSG Mike (02-10-2016), jcw99 (09-10-2021), justint5387 (02-10-2016)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #45
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
Kaaz has there new line of Super Q LSD's that come with WPC treated internals, pretty cool.

Sure you can have any parts WPC treated but coming in the box already done is nice.

"The new Super-Q units are designed to perform at lower operating sounds and overall superior total performance. Some features are as fallows: Dramatically reduced chattering noise, Excellent Heat Dissipation, Smoother Engagement, longer life-wear, and no break-in period required! These new features along with KAAZ’s standard characteristics of lightning fast reaction time, adjustable engagement settings, and virtually hassle free operation make the new Super-Q LSD a must for all vehicles. Whether your vehicle is a daily driver, weekend warrior or full on race car, the new Super-Q LSD is fitted for all styles of performance operation! SUPER Q UNITS ARE AVAILABLE FOR ALL KAAZ L.S.D MODELS AND APPLICATIONS! CALL NOW!"
Peeps do we have more info on this?

Also CSG Mike i saw a Tomei unit listed for sale on your site. How is that in comparison to say a Cusco or OSG.

Thanks.

Lutfy
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #46
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The stock is a 1.5 way in behavior.
Wait a minute, I thought the stock torsen is 1 way...
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #47
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
This almost seems like marketing for the OSG, but if you actually had a OSG and Cusco diff side to side, you'd know the number of friction surfaces on this platform is the same. Understandably, I know you auso AutoX, and OSG has a huge presence there; it helps that they employ nationally competitive drivers, who can also help end users configure their LSDs. The OSG info, is, almost word-for-word, exactly how the OSG guys present their product, and in many cases, quite accurate. The FRS is one of those exceptions, due to having a shared LSD core with so many other cars (thank you Toyota!)

The Cusco Hybrid and the OSG work virtually identically, in terms of function, behavior, and lockup engagement. For all intents and purposes, the Cusco and OSG are functionally identical in terms of configuration and tunability.

Disclaimer: CSG currently has an ATS and OSG LSD in rotation for testing.
Hi CSG,

Do you recommend OSG over the ATS Carbon since you have tried both? The price for the LSDs are so similar and I cannot afford to try all of them. There so many types to choose even within a brand:

For example:
1) Standard vs Carbon vs Silent (ATS)
2) Spec S vs Spec X (OS Giken)

Say if I am looking for:
1) Longevity / Durability
2) No rebuilt (except changing diff oil 15000km to 20000km)
3) Less Noise (S2k forum noted the ATS carbon has no noise at all)
4) Easier to drive / control (don't have pro skills on track)
5) No clutch break-in period would be great too

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/speed...differentials/

ATS Highlights
  • Clutch Type Design
  • Cone Spring Preload
  • 1.0-,1.5- and 2.0-way
  • 45/55/75-degree Ramp Settings
  • Carbon Plate Option (METAL STD.)
  • No UNDERSTEER EVEN W/2.0-WAY
  • Smoother Engagement, NO CHATTER
  • High initial torque up to 25kg•m
Carbon discs deliver significantly less understeer due to an optimized locking force-to-grip ratio. Carbon discs can deliver low-locking forces and a more progressive locking ramp, yet still deliver full locking force at full-throttle input.

OS Giken Highlights
  • Ultra-Low Preload Gives “Open” Behavior at Low Throttle
  • Aggressive Ramps Deliver Fast Lock Response When Needed
  • Preset from Factory (No User Adjustments)
  • Speed Shop LSDUp to 2x the Clutch Plates as Competition
  • Cone+Coil Spring Controls Preload
  • Clutch Type Design
  • 1.1-, 1.5- and 2.0-way
  • Factory Tuning Available
  • OS Giken Super Lock LSD
  • TCD Option for Ultra-Smooth Locking
  • Ultra-Quiet, No-break-in Required
  • Billet Steel Differential Case
  • Full Balanced Assemblies

Do you also recommend the extra capacity LSD oil like the Greddy diff cover?

Thanks!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #48
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
@botbs I recommend the one that you can get configured to match your specific use case. It's like comparing high end dampers; it's not the brand that matters, but the one where you get the support and/or configuration you need to maximize your performance.

You highlighted a bunch of marketing bullet points, but ultimately, for all intents and purposes, the two work identically, and a pro for one is a pro for both, and a con for one, is a con for both. They're that similar.

Yes, you want extra capacity.

The diff needs to be configured to match you. Don't use an off-the-shelf diff, unless you want off-the-shelf results. Given how much you're spending, paying the extra to get it custom built is the way to go, always.

PM to get an order set up.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
botbs (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #49
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
@botbs I recommend the one that you can get configured to match your specific use case. It's like comparing high end dampers; it's not the brand that matters, but the one where you get the support and/or configuration you need to maximize your performance.

You highlighted a bunch of marketing bullet points, but ultimately, for all intents and purposes, the two work identically, and a pro for one is a pro for both, and a con for one, is a con for both. They're that similar.

Yes, you want extra capacity.

The diff needs to be configured to match you. Don't use an off-the-shelf diff, unless you want off-the-shelf results. Given how much you're spending, paying the extra to get it custom built is the way to go, always.

PM to get an order set up.
Thanks! Will email you and we can discuss further.
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:02 AM   #50
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Sounds like a suspension tuning and/or tire pressure issue to me. If you aren't lifting the inside rear wheel off the ground, then the stock Torsen should be fine.
When I went from oem Torsen to 1.5 OSGiken I found oversteer much easier to control. My car would often fishtail with the oem diff.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-06-2020), e1_griego (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #51
femaledog

Drives: 2017 BRZ Perf. Pkg.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
When I went from oem Torsen to 1.5 OSGiken I found oversteer much easier to control. My car would often fishtail with the oem diff.
The breakaway and recovery is so smooth with the OS Giken 1.5. I should have done it as my very first mod. Changed the car totally.
femaledog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femaledog For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-06-2020), e1_griego (07-04-2020)