follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2016, 05:26 AM   #29
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
I have no beef on the BBQ here, but I'll tell you why : Sorry to say any solid/good sales person does know the product (as well as they can know it) , and to compare/contrast that product specs/info against the competition. That is one of the main top-10 main points any successful sales person needs to have under their wing. Period. If they didn't know the product and/or how to accurately respond to a customers question(s) in regards to the product in discussion, then sure they can go "look it up" .... but that takes time, time is money....yada-yada-yada. Think about it.
I've been there done that. I knew more about every car on the lot than anyone else. I couldn't sell crap. Salesmen are there to sell, not talk shop. It takes seconds to grab a binder and look up the specific specs of any car. Anyone who takes the time to research these cars will be better informed about them than a salesperson, because the buyer is only looking at 1 or two models, while the salesperson needs to know just enough about an entire line or two to sell them. And most people don't care about specs, they care about crash ratings or gas mileage or how great the car looks, or reliability, or cost of ownership. They might care about specific individual features, but that is easy to figure out.

There is a huge difference between how to answer a customers question and knowing every specific specification about a car. Very few people will care about how many cams or valves per cylinder or how many pistons each brake has, etc.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #30
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If you can afford it, you should get a used Mk7 Golf GTI and keep the BRZ. The GTI is a fun lightweight car with good power. It does everything well. You can get a used Mk7 GTI with less than 30k miles (ie still has some warranty left) for under $20k pretty easily.

I just bought a GTI and will also be keeping my turbo FRS.

The GTI is a fun car and a stage 1 puts out some insane numbers (I will be installing a JB1 stage 1 later this week).

You could look at the Golf R also but keep in mind the Golf R drives like a FWD car most of the time (all the power to front wheels). The Golf R only sends power to the rear wheels if slippage is detected on the front and it can send up to 50% of the power to the rears. Imo, the Type R isn't worth the $10k premium over the GTI. The GTI is more fun to drive around corners (from what I've read), mainly because its lighter and feels a bit 'livelier'.

But if you get the GTI, get it with the PP. I regret not getting the PP.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #31
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Depending on your location if you're on the west coast LA or SF or DC area east.

You should consider using Shift, they are a great service and could be beneficial to your situation.

Here's an article on them

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/this-o...ord-1768677335
Damn, that's a pretty cool service.

Too bad they are not available in my area.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xuimod For This Useful Post:
Zaku (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #32
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
There is a huge difference between how to answer a customers question and knowing every specific specification about a car. Very few people will care about how many cams or valves per cylinder or how many pistons each brake has, etc.
I'm hearing what you're saying and you're right, however at the same time to be blind about certain car specs in how they compare against the competition (spec vs. spec , dollar vs. dollar) isn't the best plan of attack ( man plans, god laughs).

Sure the salesman is the front man (grunt), there to qualify. The sales manager, others behind the big desk are the ones doing the big dealios.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #33
i heart ricers

Drives: g37 - 370z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
buy a 370
i heart ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #34
k.houan

Drives: BRZZZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, havent been on here for a while and just read all of these replies. A lot of good info here. I went in to the dealership a few weeks ago, to check out a new STI. The salesman ran some numbers really quick (I could tell he wasnt as serious as I was about it) and came up with, your BRZ would be about a 15k trade in value. Putting your payment around 650/month.

I thought to myself that kind of payment CANT be right can it?

Kind of turned me off of the whole thing..though I really would like to trade for a new STI.

The BRZ just sits parked because I cant fit my family in it. Kind of depressing lol.
k.houan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #35
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.houan View Post
Wow, havent been on here for a while and just read all of these replies. A lot of good info here. I went in to the dealership a few weeks ago, to check out a new STI. The salesman ran some numbers really quick (I could tell he wasnt as serious as I was about it) and came up with, your BRZ would be about a 15k trade in value. Putting your payment around 650/month.

Kind of turned me off of the whole thing..though I really would like to trade for a new STI.

The BRZ just sits parked because I cant fit my family in it. Kind of depressing lol.
Let it sit and enjoy it as a husband and wife only car

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:32 AM   #36
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.houan View Post
The salesman ran some numbers really quick (I could tell he wasnt as serious as I was about it) and came up with, your BRZ would be about a 15k trade in value. Putting your payment around 650/month.

+$15k on BRZ
-$5k left on loan
-$40k on STI Limited, or dealer markup of a 'base' STI
-$4k on state fees + dealer fees
=~$34k owed

$34k on loan divided over 5 years of payments is $567/month without considering interest rates, 3% interest bumps you up to $611/month, 6% is $657, 12% is $756 (yes people do get loans at that rate).

If you can find an STI for base price at $35k, offload the 86 for $18k (assuming trade in was undervalued) and get financing at 3% and avoid significant dealer fees you're looking at owing about $25k on loan which would still be $455/month.

Google 'auto loan calculator' and it's an easy tool to see if the numbers are straight up, you could probably do it on your phone in the dealership when they start throwing numbers around.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #37
i heart ricers

Drives: g37 - 370z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
buy a g37
i heart ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #38
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
+$15k on BRZ
-$5k left on loan
-$40k on STI Limited, or dealer markup of a 'base' STI
-$4k on state fees + dealer fees
=~$34k owed

$34k on loan divided over 5 years of payments is $567/month without considering interest rates, 3% interest bumps you up to $611/month, 6% is $657, 12% is $756 (yes people do get loans at that rate).

If you can find an STI for base price at $35k, offload the 86 for $18k (assuming trade in was undervalued) and get financing at 3% and avoid significant dealer fees you're looking at owing about $25k on loan which would still be $455/month.

Google 'auto loan calculator' and it's an easy tool to see if the numbers are straight up, you could probably do it on your phone in the dealership when they start throwing numbers around.

This - I always loved the saying. "You can't fake math."

Numbers are numbers.

Last edited by Summerwolf; 11-11-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (11-11-2016), Tcoat (11-11-2016)