follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
OnTheFence

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iPhone plugged in via USB not acknowledged after restart

BRZ Limited (with the "fancy" head unit)

I have an iPhone 3GS (yes, please, I welcome your snarky "your phone is so old" comments) and have noticed, from the day I took delivery of the car, that if I plug my phone in via USB to listen to music and then turn the car off, when I return and start it back up again, the HU doesn't detect the device as it did when I first plugged it in. I've taken to, after re-starting the car, unplugging and re-plugging the phone in order to get the 'USB' icon to light up. It's unlike Bluetooth audio mode, where the phone is usually detected and paired within the first minute of (re)starting the car.

I'm thinking this is the cause for the recent failure of my interface cable (having to unplug and plug it back in every time I turn the car off but leave my phone connected), so if there's any solution, I may be able to save myself iPod/iPhone cables in the future as well as frustration. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I had a very similar thing happen with a 3yr old ipod nano.. I took it to the dealer several times, they changed the usb connector, and checked it 3 x - was there for about 6days on and off I was so frustrated. yea, I don't even have an Iphone.

the dealer told me that they had seen those issues with the Iphone and the firmware needed to be a certain version. I changed apple connectors 10x ... and was about to give up .

so finally, after the dealer being useless I decided to just buy the new ipod nano - its been working flawlessly since then.

so the only thing I can figure out, even though they say it will work on previous versions of ipod/iphone - apple versions.. apparently it doesn't.

129 dollars on a new ipod and I am good now and very happy. stupid scion !
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
OnTheFence

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
I had a very similar thing happen with a 3yr old ipod nano.. I took it to the dealer several times, they changed the usb connector, and checked it 3 x - was there for about 6days on and off I was so frustrated. yea, I don't even have an Iphone.

the dealer told me that they had seen those issues with the Iphone and the firmware needed to be a certain version. I changed apple connectors 10x ... and was about to give up .

so finally, after the dealer being useless I decided to just buy the new ipod nano - its been working flawlessly since then.

so the only thing I can figure out, even though they say it will work on previous versions of ipod/iphone - apple versions.. apparently it doesn't.

129 dollars on a new ipod and I am good now and very happy. stupid scion !
Thanks. I guess my phone is getting old ...
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Jrdad

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6M Argento
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Sometimes my 4S connects, sometimes it doesn't. Or I'll plug it in and it will be connected but a few minutes later it won't be
Jrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
coredump4

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited MT, 2006 Spec.B
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've used both iPhone 4 and 5 with my BRZ using Bluetooth audio. Works REALLY well, I've been surprised how seamless it is.
Only issue is, maybe every 4-6 months, the HU seems to wig out and refuse to connect to the phone. A simple re-pairing solves it.
coredump4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Admiral Ballsy
Shorter of breath

Drives: a soft bargain
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My iPhone (5) connects every time, but I'd say 50% of the time when I press "iPod" on the source menu, it says "no music files found". And if I unplug/plug, it's fine.

Go figure.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote