follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Troubleshooting with a KW c38

Hey everyone! I'm in need of some help. Moderators, if I posted this in the wrong spot, feel free to move. Wasn't sure where to post due to my situation/setup.

Just to give you a background list of mods so no one is confused this is what I'm currently working with:

Kw c38 (standard regular pulley, no highboost)
moto-east flex fuel kit
dw 700cc injectors
dw fuel pump
Tomei UEL
Tomei Overpipe
Invidia N1

Now with that being said, I'm running into two DTC errors p0171 and a p0441.

Long story short, I was low on gas and filled up at my typical Thortons gas station and got an average of e78. Not bad. I reset my odometer and drove my mom around all day until she bought her new 2015 crosstrek. YAY. about 60 miles later I pulled up to my house, left my car running, and literally a 40 second walk to my door and back to my car I had a check engine light on.

Codes are/were: p0171 and p0441.

After a few researches on this forum I found out that there are two hoses that may pop off due to high boost pressure, I typically hit 12.5 to 13 psi at full throttle. First thing I checked was the evap hose under the throttle body. That was already clamped from factory. The other hose I checked was on the intake manifold underneath the engine cover where it says toyota and subaru on it. Previous to this issue, I already zip tied the one hose that was not clamped down during the supercharger install. Otherwise I've followed every single hose that I cut for a boost gauge and other things that the KW kit needed me to cut into and they all check out and I can't seem to find any vacuum leaks. Yes I checked my gas cap and it is locked just as tight as every other time I finish filling my gas. I also don't over fill the tank either. As soon as it clicks then I'm done.

Here are two data logs I have supplied to maybe help? :

First one consists after startup I pulled out of my garage and I got crazy idle dips. this was after I cleared my code by pulling the negative off the battery and resetting the ecu. I don't know if the car was trying to relearn idle... but I thought it was very odd...
http://datazap.me/u/pgranberg11/log-...1?log=0&data=6

The second one is just me driving around and I did a few pulls and the car seemed perfectly fine. No issues, no hiccups, no power loss. Nothing.
http://datazap.me/u/pgranberg11/log-...9?log=0&data=6

I am posting looking for some other opinions or ideas that could possibly be wrong, if anything is wrong. I just feel like the check engine light turned on for a reason and it can't be just a fluke.

Thank you everyone for their time and their willingness to help!
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Wingnut537

Drives: 2015 FR-s RS1.0 0186/1500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Your setup is almost the exact same as mine, minus the exhaust. I was having the exact same issues. Check your fuel pump installation. Mine had come just a bit unseated and once fixed I haven't had a CEL since.
Wingnut537 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wingnut537 For This Useful Post:
pgranberg11 (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My hose on the case vent behind the intake on the block popped off. The hose is the one that leads from the intake to the crankcase. It is very short.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GsxrMe For This Useful Post:
pgranberg11 (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut537 View Post
Your setup is almost the exact same as mine, minus the exhaust. I was having the exact same issues. Check your fuel pump installation. Mine had come just a bit unseated and once fixed I haven't had a CEL since.
Awesome, I'll check that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
My hose on the case vent behind the intake on the block popped off. The hose is the one that leads from the intake to the crankcase. It is very short.
Sorry, I get what you're saying. But, do you mind posting a picture so that way I have a better understanding? Visual learner here. lol

And anybody else that would like to chime in? I appreciate all the answers!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:12 AM   #5
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

ok just to give an update:

it seems to me after I cleared it I drove about 15 miles and it came up during idling. it doesn't turn on during acceleration or driving.

I've talked to a good friend of mine and it seems like he is stating that I'm running way too rich during wot. I'm pegging 11.02 on ECUtek, but my wideband gauge is reading flat 10 and doesn't want to go any smaller than that. so for all I know I could be getting in 9 afr during wot. and then during idling there is a lot of afr fluctuation from 14-17+ and that could be causing a lean code... any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
Slicknick951

Drives: 2014 WRB Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Who is your tuner? I would check with them first.
Slicknick951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Mike at Moto-East is my tuner I sent him an email yesterday awaiting for a reply, I just figured I'd post here in the mean time.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #8
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Follow every vacuum line entirely and clamp it. Vacuum/boost leak will screw with your a/f. Toyota and subaru didn't clamp everything for us because we werent planned on being boosted.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote