follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 AM   #2087
Binary_fission

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Can you plug and play a backup camera to this unit?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Binary_fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:31 AM   #2088
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary_fission View Post
Can you plug and play a backup camera to this unit?
Yep. It's got a standard composite video input, mainly for this purpose.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:01 AM   #2089
Gts86.au

Drives: black gts 86 aero kit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finally installed the unit yesterday and for some reason the fm app can only output audio in MONO not stereo.
Has anyone had this issue?
I tried playing music off a usb and sd card and both work fine and in perfect STEREO.
Spoke with the support at ca fi and they suggested downloading another radio app!!! wtf!!!.

However the one that comes with the unit is this is the best looking offline app that supports ca fi cardroid cant find another that is not internet aka offline.

Anyone got any ideas really sucks.

Im running android version 4.1 not sure how to update
Gts86.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #2090
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gts86.au View Post
Finally installed the unit yesterday and for some reason the fm app can only output audio in MONO not stereo.
I tried playing music off a usb and sd card and both work fine and in perfect STEREO.
Spoke with the support at ca fi and they suggested downloading another radio app!!! wtf!!!.

However the one that comes with the unit is this is the best looking offline app that supports ca fi cardroid cant find another that is not internet aka offline.

Download another radio app and see if it producing the same issue.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:26 AM   #2091
RustySocket
Slow Learner

Drives: 15 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gts86.au View Post

Any resolution to this yet?
RustySocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #2092
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)

Placed the order despite the poor Canadian dollar. I also ordered the antennaand usb adapters that I saw in a post on like page 6 along with the slim OBDII Bluetoothreader thingy from them. Super excited to get it!!
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
RustySocket (08-10-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #2093
tonypalomo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Hey guys i just got my unit in today. Does the newer version still require the same instructions for install as the ones in the beginning of this thread?
tonypalomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #2094
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypalomo View Post
Hey guys i just got my unit in today. Does the newer version still require the same instructions for install as the ones in the beginning of this thread?
+1 for this. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago... still hasn't shipped
Tony, let me know how the install goes please

Also can you do OBD2 to USB for the Torque app as bluetooth for that is not supported yet?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #2095
SilverlightPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypalomo View Post
As far as I can tell, the Dashlinq4 Toyota Universal and the DashlinqCT Toyota Universal have the same hardware and form factor, so yes, it should be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Also can you do OBD2 to USB for the Torque app as bluetooth for that is not supported yet?
In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. I got a USB OBD2 adapter and it worked for a while, then started popping a CEL and putting the car in "limp mode" every time Torque tried to pull data from the sensors. I dunno what the deal is.

Note that only the Pro version of Torque supports USB.
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverlightPony For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #2096
Wingnut537

Drives: 2015 FR-s RS1.0 0186/1500
Quote:
+1 for this. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago... still hasn't shipped
Tony, let me know how the install goes please

Ordered mine 3 weeks ago. Sent them an email last week and was told there was a delay with testing the newest firmware
Got my tracking number today and they refunded my shipping cost for the delay.
Wingnut537 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wingnut537 For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #2097
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
As far as I can tell, the Dashlinq4 Toyota Universal and the DashlinqCT Toyota Universal have the same hardware and form factor, so yes, it should be the same.

In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. I got a USB OBD2 adapter and it worked for a while, then started popping a CEL and putting the car in "limp mode" every time Torque tried to pull data from the sensors. I dunno what the deal is.

Note that only the Pro version of Torque supports USB.
Awesome!! Thanks! I might use the ECU TEK cable to test it out haha!! How much is the pro version? Like $10??
Old 08-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #2098
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut537 View Post
Ordered mine 3 weeks ago. Sent them an email last week and was told there was a delay with testing the newest firmware
Got my tracking number today and they refunded my shipping cost for the delay.
Good to know! Thanks for the info! I sent them an email today, maybe I will get a refund too
Old 08-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #2099
SilverlightPony

Quote:
Awesome!! Thanks! I might use the ECU TEK cable to test it out haha!! How much is the pro version? Like $10??
I think it was $5.
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverlightPony For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (08-24-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #2100
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Got mine today and just finished installing it. Personally I thought the install was a bit of pain - took me and a friend about an hour... but I've never installed a new head unit on a car before so no idea how it compares to others really.

Getting the brackets from the OEM unit in the right location on the new unit took a lot of trial and error, and eventually the location we settled for meant we could only fit 1 of the 3 original bolts back on to hold it in place. Also needed a bit of wiggling and brute force to get the whole thing to fit back in to the hole that the OEM unit came out of to the point where we could fit the screws back in and actually fit the carbon trim/fascia thing back on over the top.

Oh and there seemed to be a lot of wires left over that went in to the OEM unit that don't fit anywhere in the back of this one, so we just left them unplugged and everything seems to be working fine... apart from the USB port that sits at the bottom of the dash. I did a quick search and it seems like I need to get a converter (mentioned here) to sort that out, but its kind of annoying as this unit was sold as a complete plug and play kit where I wouldn't need to buy any extra adapters or converters.

One other disappointment is that the volume knob is now even harder to accurately turn than the OEM gt86 one was (which was already a nightmare on bumpy roads due to how small and smooth it was). Whilst the new one does have "notches" so that its easier to accurately turn, its still quite small and I find its harder to grab now because the carbon trim around the head unit gets in the way on one side. This might not be an issue for people in LHD cars as I noticed the knob on the side closest to the driver doesn't suffer with this problem as much and presumably in LHD that would be the volume knob.

Anyway, complaints out of the way, using the actual unit itself seems great. Quick to start up and nice and intuitive to use. Pairing my phone with it to play music through bluetooth was quick and easy, and so far seems to work well and sound slightly better than it did before. Need to download google maps and some other apps before I can fully comment on how well it works in other aspects but so far so good
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote