follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #15
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
How did locking up the rear brakes help you regain control? You entered a corner at 90+ and then made yourself lift causing oversteer.... where was the "curse" in all this!!?? Can you post some pics of your car and setup?
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
pher.da.rico (07-18-2020), wparsons (06-29-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #16
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
90mph turn on public roads and any car take this turn? I might be wrong, but aren't speed limits in US lower then that?
Traction Control off - better don't do that on public roads. During daily driving/cruising attention level is way way lower then concentration on track, and there can be many uncontrollable & unpredictable variables. Suggest to keep at least vsc sport as minimum.
If you change car rake, it will change also grip balance more to oversteer
If you needed to change tire size to reduce rubbing, imho that sounds like your car has many handling issues from chosen tire/wheel sizing and overlowering. Some unwise mods in that area need extra mods to fix introduced issues, or reduce extent of mods/changes that made car worse.
If you select tire sizing way off from stock, then it's always worth to do in more educated fashion to know what one is doing, then going by hunch of what "subjectively seemingly looks cooler" and possibly introduce handling issues.
How high you may value mentioned alignment shop says nothing to us. Post actual alignment values to see for abnormalities in those. The reason why it's always worth to ask for alignment printout - to ensure QA of their work and for others to enable to give actual useful advises instead of playing spanish inquisition and guesswork games.
If car is oversteering, driving inputs that add even more transfer mass & grip to front, reducting those from rear, will make it even worse, so one shouldn't brake or lift-off mid turn, just judge reasonable entry speed and balance neutral grip with partial throttle mid turn. Or rely on nannies, that you have turned off due overconfidence.

In my eyes result was caused by several factors, them all enhancing each other issues/impact to handling. As to which ones are better to fix .. not enough info in OP.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (07-18-2020), wparsons (06-29-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #17
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
90mph turn on public roads and any car take this turn? I might be wrong, but aren't speed limits in US lower then that?
legal speed limits are much lower in most areas, set to 55 or 65mph.

however many roadways have a sort of unspoken 70-90mph running speed that moving at a slower pace actually creates more of a rolling roadway hazard.
Spuds (07-17-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #18
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
7. Do some research on suspension geometry. It sounds like you may have some seriously compromised aftermarket suspension setup if you are rubbing the sidewalls of tires.
not sure how you came to this theory when its most likely wheels that were not thought out if they would fit or not
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
pher.da.rico (07-17-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #19
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I think there is a sticky by Racecomp on this subject already!

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67345
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
pher.da.rico (07-17-2020), Spuds (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #20
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
not sure how you came to this theory when its most likely wheels that were not thought out if they would fit or not
You know, that's a good question... I don't really remember, but it made sense at the time. . Maybe I meant to include "suspension/wheel" in there or something.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #21
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Your back tires are too tall. It will make it so they read slower than the fronts. Therefore the car won’t know they’re losing traction until it’s too late. Fix the tire setup first, then get the alignment checked again and post the printout. We can’t really help more without more info.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
BlueWhelan (07-17-2020), pher.da.rico (07-17-2020), Wally86 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #22
pher.da.rico

Drives: 2018 Premium Black silica BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Traction Control off - better don't do that on public roads. During daily driving/cruising attention level is way way lower then concentration on track, and there can be many uncontrollable & unpredictable variables. Suggest to keep at least vsc sport as minimum.
If you change car rake, it will change also grip balance more to oversteer
If you needed to change tire size to reduce rubbing, imho that sounds like your car has many handling issues from chosen tire/wheel sizing and overlowering. Some unwise mods in that area need extra mods to fix introduced issues, or reduce extent of mods/changes that made car worse.
If you select tire sizing way off from stock, then it's always worth to do in more educated fashion to know what one is doing, then going by hunch of what "subjectively seemingly looks cooler" and possibly introduce handling issues.
How high you may value mentioned alignment shop says nothing to us. Post actual alignment values to see for abnormalities in those. The reason why it's always worth to ask for alignment printout - to ensure QA of their work and for others to enable to give actual useful advises instead of playing spanish inquisition and guesswork games.
If car is oversteering, driving inputs that add even more transfer mass & grip to front, reducting those from rear, will make it even worse, so one shouldn't brake or lift-off mid turn, just judge reasonable entry speed and balance neutral grip with partial throttle mid turn. Or rely on nannies, that you have turned off due overconfidence.

In my eyes result was caused by several factors, them all enhancing each other issues/impact to handling. As to which ones are better to fix .. not enough info in OP.

It’s not a turn. Excuse me not knowing the exact term. But it wasn’t a straight away on the freeway. More like a curve that requires you turning the wheel slightly to the right.
Before I ran the 245 40 18 I could hit these roads at 90 with 100% confidence. But while on the new tire setup in the back the car felt like a boat rocking left to right. As if it wasn’t responding to me trying to keep it centered while in my lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pher.da.rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #23
pher.da.rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post

Yeah it totally was the tire setup. I went back to 245 35 18 and I passed this same spot on the freeway with no issues.
I didn’t realize the two tires in the back would change the dynamics of the car.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #24
pher.da.rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Your back tires are too tall. It will make it so they read slower than the fronts. Therefore the car won’t know they’re losing traction until it’s too late. Fix the tire setup first, then get the alignment checked again and post the printout. We can’t really help more without more info.

This was exactly the issue ! Again excuse my ignorance. I didn’t know the height would effect the steering so much. Went back to the 245 35 18 all around and it feels how it should! I started this thread right after the incident so I failed to explain clearly. Especially the section of the freeway That the accident occurred

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pher.da.rico For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-18-2020), Wally86 (07-20-2020), Yoshoobaroo (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #25
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pher.da.rico View Post
This was exactly the issue ! Again excuse my ignorance. I didn’t know the height would effect the steering so much. Went back to the 245 35 18 all around and it feels how it should! I started this thread right after the incident so I failed to explain clearly. Especially the section of the freeway That the accident occurred

Glad you figured it out!
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
pher.da.rico (07-18-2020), Wally86 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 05:30 AM   #26
pher.da.rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
How did locking up the rear brakes help you regain control? You entered a corner at 90+ and then made yourself lift causing oversteer.... where was the "curse" in all this!!?? Can you post some pics of your car and setup?

I failed to explain the scenario
It wasn’t a corner ! Mannn it’s one of the sections on the freeway it’s not a turn but a sliiiiight curve you’d see on a freeway

Old 07-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #27
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Tire compound difference + larger rake angle from larger diameter rear tires (further reducing traction at rear)... keep same exact tire and size on all four corners from now on.

I experimented with track performance tires front and stock tires rear and it was hilarious fun in slow speed corners/in town traffic...not so much fun at highway speeds or high speed turns.
wparsons (07-18-2020)