follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rear negative camber and adjustable arm

Hey guys, I am having an issue and need some help. I recently got lowering springs on my car. I have been reading around and i believe i need some attachments to ensure my tires and suspension work correctly. I went in to get my car aligned today and not only did the place fuck up my rim but didnt get my car aligned correct. Below is a picture of the before and after specs. I am told by a couple people and reading online I will need a Adjustable rear control arm on my right side to account for the negative camber. My questions are:

1.) can you guys give me some opinion on some good fairly priced adjustable rear control arms for my lower (1.4in) scion frs.
2.) Also, I was told that the scion frs does not have adjustable cambers and that when you lower the car it will cause major tire wear. I am interested in getting some adjustable camber (do I need on back 2 or all 4) if you guys could give me some good options at a decent price for my car.

Any other things I might need to be aware of by lowering my car would also be appreciated. Thanks
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Chase1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
Hey guys, I am having an issue and need some help. I recently got lowering springs on my car. I have been reading around and i believe i need some attachments to ensure my tires and suspension work correctly. I went in to get my car aligned today and not only did the place fuck up my rim but didnt get my car aligned correct. Below is a picture of the before and after specs. I am told by a couple people and reading online I will need a Adjustable rear control arm on my right side to account for the negative camber. My questions are:

1.) can you guys give me some opinion on some good fairly priced adjustable rear control arms for my lower (1.4in) scion frs.
2.) Also, I was told that the scion frs does not have adjustable cambers and that when you lower the car it will cause major tire wear. I am interested in getting some adjustable camber (do I need on back 2 or all 4) if you guys could give me some good options at a decent price for my car.

Any other things I might need to be aware of by lowering my car would also be appreciated. Thanks

HERE IS THE PICTURE GUYS

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dztc46&s=9
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hi @Chase1996,

If you have done some research, our cars do not come with any camber adjustment. It should be easy to find.

Anyways, to resolve front.. use SPC camber bolt. It's about $30-35, but it looks like you won't need front adjusted.

For rear, budget friendly option is SPC rear lower control arm. About $220 for the pair. The alignment shop didn't screw your alignment, they have no option to adjust any camber. It's easy to replace the rear arm. Replace them and maybe talk to the shop again and see if they can adjust the rear at lower price.

Good luck.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frslee For This Useful Post:
Cole (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Chase1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
Hi @Chase1996,

If you have done some research, our cars do not come with any camber adjustment. It should be easy to find.

Anyways, to resolve front.. use SPC camber bolt. It's about $30-35, but it looks like you won't need front adjusted.

For rear, budget friendly option is SPC rear lower control arm. About $220 for the pair. The alignment shop didn't screw your alignment, they have no option to adjust any camber. It's easy to replace the rear arm. Replace them and maybe talk to the shop again and see if they can adjust the rear at lower price.

Good luck.

The guys at the shop bent my springs causing the camber to go out of alignment, they were not able to re align the back bc of there msitake.

I appreciate the info though. I will check into those, once I get the lower controlled arms what will that bring them too about? and will that have any effect on the handling using the arms.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #5
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
How did they bend your springs?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
The guys at the shop bent my springs causing the camber to go out of alignment, they were not able to re align the back bc of their mistake.
This makes no sense. To "bend" a spring would require heating with a high temperature flame or massive amounts of leverage. Neither of which an alignment shop would be doing. They might have bent the control arm.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Calum (02-04-2016), Cole (02-04-2016), go_a_way1 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 04:45 AM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
The guys at the shop bent my springs causing the camber to go out of alignment, they were not able to re align the back bc of there msitake.

I appreciate the info though. I will check into those, once I get the lower controlled arms what will that bring them too about? and will that have any effect on the handling using the arms.
I highly doubt they bent anything. These cars are notorious for the rear camber being about a deg different side to side. And that only gets worse when you lower it.

I'm using 12mm camber bolts in the rear lower control arm, inner mounting point, to adjust camber. The bolts were something like $20 on Amazon. If I were you, I'd also get camber bolts for the front.

These low amounts of camber won't wear you tires out. I know its counterintuitive, but its true.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Even if they did bend your spring, I don't think the camber would be affected like that.
tyler_win_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
Chase1996

The guys at the shop told me that the spring had been bent causing something under there to be out of alignment to the point where they could not fix it.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:56 PM   #10
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
They "bent" your spring and left your toe in rear like that? Wtf run far away
Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
They "bent" your spring and left your toe in rear like that? Wtf run far away

There's nothing overtly wrong with the toe, there's just nothing great about it either. It just looks to me like OP took his car to a shop that only aims to get the car within spec and throws it out the door/didn't know what they were doing, and gave him an excuse as to why they couldn't fix it.

Op, I know it's gonna cost you money, but take it to another shop, preferably a performance shop. I'd bring either a set of 12mm camber bolts to fix the rear camber, or a set of rear lower control arms, and give them a goal for the rear camber. I'd say -1.5 deg would be a good spot for you to be at. I'd also bring a set of front camber bolts and have them add in as much negative camber to the front as possible. You'll likely only get about a degree, but that'll be a large improvement over the factory 0.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #12
Nickosport

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bent springs wont cause camber changes - period, on the front or rear suspension. A ride height change because of a bent spring may cause a change in camber, but that would have to be a massively bent or destroyed spring, which you would have felt and heard. The rear suspension is defined by Subaru as a double wishbone suspension. If a mechanic that is doing your alignment cant tell how it works, you need to run away very fast. The front is a McPherson strut suspension, which is pretty common.

Rear camber on double wishbone is controlled by the length of the A-arm, which on a stock 86 is not adjustable. Toe is adjustable however, but only within certain limits, and this may be the best they could get it. Regardless toe is in spec. I would say that your rear camber numbers are normal for a car that it lowered like yours. If you notice uneven tire wear or bad handling I would say go for adjustable arms. If not, leave it alone.

This is a good rundown if you want a better explanation:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25001
Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 AM   #13
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Pretty sure mine had cam bolts in the toe arms when I got it... still got adjustable arms, gt spec to be precise.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote