follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
BRZ88

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front bumper holes...

Does anyone know if the "mustache" is part of the bumper or is it a standalone part that can be easily replaced?
BRZ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
brianbot5000

Drives: White WRX Hatchback, Toyota Pickup
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ88 View Post
Does anyone know if the "mustache" is part of the bumper or is it a standalone part that can be easily replaced?
Part of the bumper. Mustache 4-Life. (unless you cut it with a sawzall.)
brianbot5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
BRZ88

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbot5000 View Post
Part of the bumper. Mustache 4-Life. (unless you cut it with a sawzall.)
My question arises from the idiotic action took by a dealer who drilled holes in the front bumper. Will I be able to replace the mustache with a new mustache without having to mess with the entire front bumper?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
couple of routes to go. you can get some hole plugs that look somewhat decent, you can fill and color, or you can replace the bumper and paint match. I'd probably go with the first option, the little plastic nubs I've seen people use to patch plate holes look decent and don't disrupt the flow of the bumper so much imo.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
BRZ88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
couple of routes to go. you can get some hole plugs that look somewhat decent, you can fill and color, or you can replace the bumper and paint match. I'd probably go with the first option, the little plastic nubs I've seen people use to patch plate holes look decent and don't disrupt the flow of the bumper so much imo.
Hmmm, the dealer is willing to send it to a body shop to "fill it" back in. Should i take the offer and see how it looks at the end? Worst case, I can just have them drill holes back in and I can live with the front plate?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

(sigh this is killing me!!)

Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I thought PA didn't require a front plate?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
My question arises from the idiotic action took by a dealer who drilled holes in the front bumper. Will I be able to replace the mustache with a new mustache without having to mess with the entire front bumper?
Did you already pick it up? Demand a new front bumper. My dealership doesn't put holes in the front bumpers anymore (also in PA) because they couldn't afford constantly giving people new front bumpers after they complained about the holes.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,179 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The Moustache; I believe, is the cover for the re-bar inside...Correct me if I'm wrong.
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
BRZ88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
I thought PA didn't require a front plate?
Yes you are correct, PA does not require front plate but I am purchasing from out of state. Unfortunately, it wasn't a preorder but the dealer happens to have the exact car that I wanted.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
BRZ88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Did you already pick it up? Demand a new front bumper. My dealership doesn't put holes in the front bumpers anymore (also in PA) because they couldn't afford constantly giving people new front bumpers after they complained about the holes.
I will be picking it up this weekend. I can't demand as it wasn't my preorder or I would've definitely demanded a new bumper.

I do have a preorder with a dealer in pittsburgh but i am completely in the dark as to my ETA and i am sick and tired of waiting. Still trying to decide if i should let the dealer have body shop take a shot at filling it back in (although I know it won't be perfect). Worst case, i suppose I can just drill it back in and live with a front plate, the only "special" dude in PA with a front plate.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes you are correct, PA does not require front plate but I am purchasing from out of state. Unfortunately, it wasn't a preorder but the dealer happens to have the exact car that I wanted.
Ah. That would make sense then. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
How obvious/bad do the holes look without a plate mount? From the post here that gave instructions it looks like they wouldn't be too noticeable, though just knowing they're there could be annoying I suppose.
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I don't know ho well a body shop can "fill them in" since that part of the bumper is A, unpainted and B, textured. They can't exactly use Bondo and sand it smooth..

I'd just get some plastic fasteners (a.k.a. Xmas trees) at your local auto parts store and press them in. You should be able to find grey plastic ones that will match pretty closely.

Demanding a bumper is good and all, but Subaru paint is difficult to match because of the metal flake they use. SWP is nigh impossible, and even WRB is a PITA. By all means, threaten to demand a bumper and let them know that owners of this car are not going to want their bumpers drilled. But don't worry too much about it and just plug the holes.

That is, unless they really botched the job. If so, get the bumper and demand $1K off the price for the lower trade-in value due to the mismatched paint.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
BRZ88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTBRZ View Post
How obvious/bad do the holes look without a plate mount? From the post here that gave instructions it looks like they wouldn't be too noticeable, though just knowing they're there could be annoying I suppose.
Dealer sent me pics without the plate. There are two 1/4 inch holes that looks....disgusting. I called him today to let him know that I will be waiting for my pre order car to arrive (still in the dark). Then he immediately suggested to replace the front bumper for me at no cost. I don't think I like this option as it will no longer be the same as the ones that came straight from the factory...I guess the waiting game has to continue...