follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
R3NIK

Drives: 2013 FR-S/C
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Budget boost

I've been looking at the best boost options on a limited budget (sound contradictory, I know).
I can only budget ~$3000 on a kit, plus tuning. This much money on my car is already going to be a super tough sell to my wife. I'm also doing the install to save money, so any significant fabrication/cutting/welding is out of the question.
So far, I've reviewed:
Phantom ESC, which are backlogged at least 6 months and seems to be in a state of constant change/refinement.
Speed By Design (@spdbydesignchris), but that would need crash beam cutting and some reviews have me concerned. I do like the free OFT tune to get me started.
If money wasn't a factor, I'd go Jackson Racing as I've had their SC in the past on my Civic, installation is straight forward, and I read great reviews from fellow forum members. Pricing of at least $4800 puts that out of the picture, though.
JDL (@JDLAutoDesign) is in the same boat. Excellent product, but too expensive and beyond my humble goals of what I need out of a daily driver.
Works (@WORKS) has a "budget" $3300 kit that would fit my modest goals, includes a free OFT tune, but has limited upgrade room and seems quite overpriced compared to what I'm focusing on, which is.....
Sprintex (formerly Innovate) supercharger base kit at $3200. My JRSC in the past was twin screw and I was in love with the low end performance and intoxicating whine. Over time I can added the intercooler, smaller pulley, fuel upgrades, and more tuning to reach my end goal years down the road. Infamous Performance in CA is running a sale, with tune and license, for $3160. I'm waiting to hear back to confirm details and pricing with them.

In respect to my budget limitations, what are your thoughts?

Also, any other local options in my budget range from Vivid (@vividracing), JDL , Goodspeed, CZP (@Mike@CZP), or other respected online vendors such as @CounterSpace Garage or @FT-86 SpeedFactory?

Last edited by R3NIK; 02-05-2015 at 11:21 AM.
R3NIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:10 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
If you plan on tracking you will need an oil cooler. ~500 Some say you would need it on the street if you plan on doing any long pulls. I have read people reaching 260f+ oil temps in the mountains going uphill.
If you want max reliability/power you would need to tune the base tune at a tuner, which is not cheap. Don't forget brakes/tires.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Wouldn't you want to want to budget for things like improved radiator, an oil cooler, exhaust, and likely a new clutch?
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
Wouldn't you want to want to budget for things like improved radiator, an oil cooler, exhaust, and likely a new clutch?
He has modest goals for power, and as he said its his DD. Let's assume he's not going to track the car (op please clarify).

All my research is pointing me towards the SBD kit. I already have the oft, and it seems many users just used the canned tune with great results. They do sell a mountain of these kits, and unless they put the hush on all the bad experiences (which seems impossible) they seem to be pretty darn reliable by the fact that the board isn't full of complaints and issues with them. (perhaps not the best reasoning, but it holds SOME water)

Also, new features with the oft allow "alarms" to be set off given certain, programmable conditions. Seems like we're safer than ever with these features. Undoubtedly there will be templates put up for what we should have for alarms as well. The main "extra" cost I see with this kit is a good turbo blanket+header wrap to keep under-hood temps down.

In regards to the crash beam issue. There was a thread about an individual cutting it then boxing it all back in. Looked like a fair amount of work, but if you're decent at all with a welder and a grinder I think you should be able to manage. It was a while ago but i remember thinking it would be reasonably comparable in strength to an unmodified bar.

Powered by Great North Performance, Jani-King Canada, and OK Tire.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorpedo For This Useful Post:
R3NIK (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
BobbyBlue86

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
An oil cooler isnt something you have to have if its your DD. Ideal for track days or spirited driving in the mountains, but driving down the freeway at 65 MPH doesnt get the oil to 260. And if it is... you have other issues you need to attend to.

All of those listed parts are to support bigger gains and if he is shooting for low boost then all of that is completely not needed.
BobbyBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyBlue86 For This Useful Post:
Jar (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
BobbyBlue86

As for the stock clutch people are seeing different results here so its hard to tell...

Most people have been saying good things about the exedy stage 1 clutch and LWFW pack and its almost always on sale for around 350 or so.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...lutch+slipping

Full blown's clutch held up to 290 HP and 215 TQ

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...n+stage&page=4
The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyBlue86 For This Useful Post:
Jar (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
hey! There are a couple of different options. If you make it out to some of our meets, there is a West-sider who has a white Fr-S with an electric supercharger on it and an OFT tune. It pushes about 230-235 to the floor, which is modest, and his install took him about 2-3 hours tops. The car pulls from start-stop and the charge runs 90s of boost before "depleting" the battery, which is constantly recharged by the vehicle during driving.

He mentioned not having enough space to do a full pull without worrying for tickets, and I want to say he came in under $3000 as a "budget build" himself.

What is your end game, @R3NIK? What are you looking for, overall, knowing your situation has been similar to mine up to this point.
DAEMANO (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
R3NIK

Garage
Thanks for all the replies.

First, this is my daily driver. I may attend an autocross or trackday event once a year, but mainly will be driving 30+ miles on the freeway for my work commute. Occasional trips up to Canyon Lake would be where I'd have some fun. Overall I want more usable power in daily driving, along with reliability.

Exhaust and wheels/tires/suspension was essentially done at this point, with LCAs being the only outstanding item I need for better alignment. I have a catback, Eibach springs and sways, lighter wheels, and 225x45x17 slightly-less-crappy-than-primacy tires.

With my goals, a clutch is definitely note a requirement yet and an oil cooler would be something to get if I tracked more than a few hours a year. I'd be keeping a close eye on oil temps in the meantime.

Celadrielas, I'll be at the meet tonight to hopefully check your OFT setup out and also other boosted vehicles. I know I saw the Phantom ESC at 86Fest, but they're a minimum 6 months wait to get. They can be had for under $2K and OFT has tunes, but attainability is the problem.

I'll further investigate the SBD kit since the Drift Armor crash bar and pre-drilled oil pan would make it possible to install myself Of course I'd still be offering pizza and beer for local help
Old 02-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Celadrielas

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3NIK View Post
Celadrielas, I'll be at the meet tonight to hopefully check your OFT setup out and also other boosted vehicles. I know I saw the Phantom ESC at 86Fest, but they're a minimum 6 months wait to get. They can be had for under $2K and OFT has tunes, but attainability is the problem.
Right on, Man. I'll see you tonight.
R3NIK (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
If you can upgrade your budget to $3800ish total, Innovate SC with ecutek tune from Bill @ Delicious tuning is GREAT.

And you don't need clutch, oil cooler, or any of that at first. Down the road its all upgradable too which makes it real fun/ easy. I ran the base kit for 10k miles before upgrading to smaller pulley and e85... and only after that + a 3" exhaust did I start slipping the clutch. I'm still on the stock fuel system too which is almost maxed out at the point I am at.

I can give you a ride if you want to feel what the extra power gives you.
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseE For This Useful Post:
BobbyBlue86 (02-04-2015), R3NIK (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
R3NIK

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE View Post
If you can upgrade your budget to $3800ish total, Innovate SC with ecutek tune from Bill @ Delicious tuning is GREAT.

And you don't need clutch, oil cooler, or any of that at first. Down the road its all upgradable too which makes it real fun/ easy. I ran the base kit for 10k miles before upgrading to smaller pulley and e85... and only after that + a 3" exhaust did I start slipping the clutch. I'm still on the stock fuel system too which is almost maxed out at the point I am at.

Will you be at the meet tonight? I'll be there between 7:30 and 8PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
BobbyBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE View Post

This is pretty much what im going for. Twin screw with some exhaust work and just add parts over time. Tweak it as needed...

How you liking the SC? I bet its pretty intoxicating lol
Old 02-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
Celadrielas

I think @JesseE is a West-sider, if I remember correctly. (?)

also has a little one if memory suits me, making his appearance for tonight a maybe at best.
JesseE (02-06-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #14
R3NIK

Garage
Innovate seems out of the picture. No vendors seem to have any stock left and Sprintex isn't offering a bundled tune. The best deal I can find on the compressor would be ~$3700, non intercooled, with an EcuTek tune. I'd net maybe 200 whp.
For $500 more a forum vendor will ship me a complete Kraftwerks kit that has an arguably better compressor style, intercooler, EcuTek package, and tune sourced from Delicious. $4200 would be just over my budgeted limit.
I messaged JDL to see what they can cook up. Hopefully that have something they can piece together for a local guy.
The last option would be to stay NA, buy EcuTek, FlexFuel, Header, and Front/Over pipes to complement my existing catback. That's about $2000 and would maybe put 200hp to the wheels? I'd have to find someone with a similar setup to see how it drives.
Overall the Kraftwerks seems to give the best hp/$ ratio and has incredible reviews.