follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #29
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
I want to know what the final NET height of both pedals are because I want the one that is closest to being even with the brakes so I can heel-toe easier.
You need to realize that getting this information doesn't really help you.
You need to know which gas pedal is easier to "blip" when you are stepping on the brakes with typical pressure in a racing situation, which has nothing to do with their height with no one touching either pedal.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mid_life_crisis For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (09-04-2013), justatroll (02-04-2016), Turbo (06-08-2018)
Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #30
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
Ok, let me clarify. NEITHER will be level or above the height of the brake or clutch pedal, as the gas pedal itself is significantly lower than the rest of the pedals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
You need to realize that getting this information doesn't really help you.
You need to know which gas pedal is easier to "blip" when you are stepping on the brakes with typical pressure in a racing situation, which has nothing to do with their height with no one touching either pedal.
how does height have nothing to do with the ease of heel toe? I'm confused. Obviously the width is improved with either mod... but a higher gas pedal is definitely going to make it easier to twist my foot left and get on both pedals.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #31
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
how does height have nothing to do with the ease of heel toe? I'm confused. Obviously the width is improved with either mod... but a higher gas pedal is definitely going to make it easier to twist my foot left and get on both pedals.
when you heel toe, you are sliding your foot or heel over to the gas pedal to blip it at the time the brake pedal is depressed, so resting height of the brake pedal in relation to the gas pedal is not relevant. You don't heel toe when there is no pressure on the brakes...

If the gas pedal was level with the brake pedal, and under braking you went to heel toe, you wouldn't be able to reach the gas pedal b/c it was too high in relation to where the height of the brake pedal is at the time it is depressed, or it would be extremely difficult. Under threshold braking, the problem would be even worse.

make sense?
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smbstyle For This Useful Post:
akahenry (04-16-2015), Godzilla35 (09-04-2013), justatroll (02-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Godzilla35

Quote:
when you heel toe, you are sliding your foot or heel over to the gas pedal to blip it at the time the brake pedal is depressed, so resting height of the brake pedal in relation to the gas pedal is not relevant. You don't heel toe when there is no pressure on the brakes...

If the gas pedal was level with the brake pedal, and under braking you went to heel toe, you wouldn't be able to reach the gas pedal b/c it was too high in relation to where the height of the brake pedal is at the time it is depressed, or it would be extremely difficult. Under threshold braking, the problem would be even worse.

make sense?
I don't know if I'm over-simplified or over-complicated my explanation. Basically I have a hard time blipping the throttle even when my foot is in the correct position. So I want a pedal that raises the height of the pedal not just making it wider. Ideally, I think I want the shape of the SRP but the raised height of the Cusco, if that makes sense. The delay of the throttle response is also a factor. I guess that has to do with flywheel weight? I'm still learning manual (only been driving for less than 2 years), so my track / performance driving situations have been limited. I'm not good enough to "need" heel-toe I guess (coming in that fast and needing to slow down that fast), so I guess I have room to make "driver modification". Tools make the job easier, but the driver has to know what they're doing I guess?

... or you guys are more flexible lol.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
Godzilla35

OT but @Midlife are you the same guy on the NAGTROC forums?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #34
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
OT but @Midlife are you the same guy on the NAGTROC forums?
I've never heard of that forum, so I would have to say no.
I've been haunting a few forums while making up my mind what to buy but as the proud owner of a shiny new FR-S 10 I can stop that stuff.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mid_life_crisis For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (09-06-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #35
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know if I'm over-simplified or over-complicated my explanation. Basically I have a hard time blipping the throttle even when my foot is in the correct position. So I want a pedal that raises the height of the pedal not just making it wider. Ideally, I think I want the shape of the SRP but the raised height of the Cusco, if that makes sense. The delay of the throttle response is also a factor. I guess that has to do with flywheel weight? I'm still learning manual (only been driving for less than 2 years), so my track / performance driving situations have been limited. I'm not good enough to "need" heel-toe I guess (coming in that fast and needing to slow down that fast), so I guess I have room to make "driver modification". Tools make the job easier, but the driver has to know what they're doing I guess?

... or you guys are more flexible lol.
Ah, understood. Anyone near you have either pedal? Honestly, best thing to do is test each one. I don't know if the difference in height will be noticeable, but I had the SRP on my CTS-V and can say it was a bit too wide, as I would accidentally grab the throttle under braking. I have not had that issue whatsoever with the Cusco, and the Cusco unit feels very natural; made heel-toe downshifting 100x smoother and easier.

also, not many people due true heel-toe. Depending on the pedal setup in a car, I will roll my foot, not heel-toe, but it's technically "blipping" the throttle.

True heel hoe you will lift your heel and blip the throttle while holding your toe on the brake pedal, but can be very jerky and difficult to master, ESPECIALLY if you are new to driving manual. I have found it easier and more controllable to roll the right side of your right foot onto the throttle to blip it while braking; it is easier to modulate the brakes and easier to control how much throttle you are giving. You're foot won't be centered on the brake pedal for the rolling technique, but after a while it gets very easy and becomes second nature. Once you get used to that, you'll find true heel-toe easier to master.

Some cars, like C6 Corvettes, you simply cannot roll your foot over, and have to use true heel-toe even with a pedal kit; at least from the ones I've driven at Bondurant.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smbstyle For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #36
Godzilla35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
I've never heard of that forum, so I would have to say no.
I've been haunting a few forums while making up my mind what to buy but as the proud owner of a shiny new FR-S 10 I can stop that stuff.
Ok... congrats!

Quote:
Ah, understood. Anyone near you have either pedal? Honestly, best thing to do is test each one. I don't know if the difference in height will be noticeable, but I had the SRP on my CTS-V and can say it was a bit too wide, as I would accidentally grab the throttle under braking. I have not had that issue whatsoever with the Cusco, and the Cusco unit feels very natural; made heel-toe downshifting 100x smoother and easier.
Yeah, I don't know that many other FRS owners. None of them have the Cusco pedal that I know of, but I think I'm going to end up getting that one anyways since it's not permanent. I will have to practice that I guess but I can heel toe much easier on my mustang and that is for sure.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
For those with the Cusco pedals....where did you buy?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #38
frsvr4

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've got a set of SRP pedals... Any tips on the brake, clutch, and dead pedals? OrbitalEllipses cutting "a bit too much carpet" makes this install sound pretty awful.

*edit* The brake and clutch pedals look straight forward (rubber lip, just use some finger strength)... I can feel the tabs that need bent on the accelerator pedal... But I'm still accepting tips on the dead pedal removal

Last edited by frsvr4; 12-02-2013 at 11:10 PM.
frsvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #39
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What is that cushioned looking material you have between the assembly and the firewall? Did it come like that factory?
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #40
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVR4 View Post
I've got a set of SRP pedals... Any tips on the brake, clutch, and dead pedals? OrbitalEllipses cutting "a bit too much carpet" makes this install sound pretty awful.
It's not awful, I just wasn't careful. The dead pedal is glued to the carpet and you need to cut it out or pry the tabs off. I opted to cut, but didn't cut carefully. My pedal was also glued almost to the edges, so YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
What is that cushioned looking material you have between the assembly and the firewall? Did it come like that factory?
Sure does. Looks/feels like insulation or the stuff you'd put down beneath a carpet.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #41
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Very strange... Brz's do not come with that to my knowledge.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #42
project d

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
FYi...

if you find it hard to perform "heel-toe" because you feel your RIGHT foot can not rotate enough (eg. 90 degrees)...

instead of forcing your foot to turn IN to touch both brake and gas... focus on TURNING YOUR RIGHT KNEE INWARDS!!!

this is what most people fail to do and strain their ankle/foot trying to heel toe!
project d is offline   Reply With Quote