follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2022, 02:02 AM   #15
Ronac

Drives: Gr86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you have any plans to make and sell these? I’d be more than happy to buy one off of you instead of making one myself and failing haha.
Ronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:36 AM   #16
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,296 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronac View Post
Do you have any plans to make and sell these? I’d be more than happy to buy one off of you instead of making one myself and failing haha.
Realistically, not anytime soon.
I already don't have enough time (or energy!) to do everything I want to do on weekends.
On weekdays I have a paid job.

The only way I could possibly justify working on something like this for money
is if it could offset taking a day or two of unpaid leave.
Given the low volume, the resultant price tag for a product I'd consider
high enough quality to charge money for would be way too high.
(That being said, if anyone has a business proposal, DM me)

The goal these GitHub projects is to provide a foundations for others to use for their own tinkering.
If you can't make a DIY data reader yourself, you might know a friend who already has
some Arduino / electronics experience to help you.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:18 PM   #17
bfitzy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6M
Hey timurrrr,

After some time tinkering around I finally built this device and got it working via the OBD2 pins 6 and 14. It's freaking awesome! Since I've got it paired with RaceChrono, the device has been working well. I'm now in the process of creating a harness to connect to the CAN Bus access point behind the infotainment.

I have a couple questions though now that I've gotten this far.

1) I saw that you posted a TODO to get fuel remaining working on your GitHub readme. Doing some digging, I saw that you also posted in a RaceChrono forum showing the fuel remaining PID and equation. I can't seem to get this to work. I know the PID is 0x2129 or 8489 base ten as shown in RaceChrono. The equation I'm using is the same as you mentioned "A * 0.5". Any ideas? I can see that 0x2129 shows up in the received PIDs when looking at the serial monitor with a laptop connected, but no dice with RaceChrono. No data seems to be received for it. Every other data field seems to be working.

2) Is it required to use a 16MHz chip or will the 8MHz chip work fine? I understand that the clock will run half as slow and there's no reason not to run a 16MHz chip. I'm just frankly horrible at soldering and kept mucking up MCP2515 boards lol.

Thanks again!
Brad

Last edited by bfitzy; 09-25-2022 at 11:32 PM.
bfitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfitzy For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-26-2022), timurrrr (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 11:39 PM   #18
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfitzy View Post
After some time tinkering around I finally built this device and got it working via the OBD2 pins 6 and 14. It's freaking awesome!
Posts like this make my heart feel warm! Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
I have a couple questions though now that I've gotten this far.

1) I saw that you posted a TODO to get fuel remaining working on your GitHub readme. Doing some digging, I saw that you also posted in a RaceChrono forum showing the fuel remaining PID and equation. I can't seem to get this to work. I know the PID is 0x2129 or 8489 base ten as shown in RaceChrono. The equation I'm using is the same as you mentioned "A * 0.5". Any ideas? I can see that 0x2129 shows up in the received PIDs when looking at the serial monitor with a laptop connected, but no dice with RaceChrono. No data seems to be received for it. Every other data field seems to be working
0x2129 is an OBD-II PID, not a CAN ID.
RaceChrono adds to this confusion by (incorrectly?) referring to CAN IDs as "PID" in the equation editor UI.

I have a local branch with changes that allow sending OBD-II requests from the board. I need to clean it up a bit before I can push it to GitHub. IIRC you're one of the first one (if not the first) to ask for OBD requests

That is a benefit of this DIY project over off-the-shelf solutions such as OBDLink MX+ which only supports operating in one mode (OBD-II or CAN) at a time.

Quote:
2) Is it required to use a 16MHz chip or will the 8MHz chip work fine? I understand that the clock will run half as slow and there's no reason not to run a 16MHz chip. I'm just frankly horrible at soldering and kept mucking up MCP2515 boards lol.
Try it with 8 MHz and let me know how it goes!
You'll need to update the QUARTZ_CLOCK_FREQUENCY constant in the code.

I switched to 16 MHz quartz early on because I had some connection reliability issues. It later turned out that those were caused by using unregulated USB power on Vin of the MCP, so it is very much possible that 8 MHz quartz is sufficient.
This will save some cost, and definitely simplify the project for future DIYers!
bcj (09-26-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 08:54 PM   #19
bfitzy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6M
I just completed building the final product nicely hidden away behind the passenger side glove box area. I have the breadboard double sided taped down and seems like it will hold well. I do not have access to a 3D printer, but making a nice enclosure would be the final step. I can not wait for my next local track event to test this out for real!

I'll be following the GitHub for future updates because fuel remaining would be an awesome data point to have! The use case is endurance racing. I personally would not get much use out of it but a friend of mine races his fleet of 86 race cars in lucky dog events. Having this information available would be much easier to gauge when a splash is needed.

Lastly, turns out 8MHz quartz is sufficient and works just as well as the 16MHz example.

Cheers,
Brad

Last edited by bfitzy; 09-27-2022 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Image I thought would be included did not get added. So added more text context.
bfitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfitzy For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-28-2022), timurrrr (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 01:01 AM   #20
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronac View Post
This product + OBDLink MX+ might solve most of your needs.
I haven't personally tested it, but an approach like this should work.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:26 PM   #21
Th0masL

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017 Limited Edition
Hey !

Thanks for this nice DIY project.

I have some experience in basic electronics, and I work in IT so I have some programming experience too, so that could be useful.

I will very likely give a shot to your tutorial for the DIY reader on the connector behind the head unit.

One of my main interest, in addition to the fun of having a nice DIY project like that, is to try to implement a Door Autolock functionality, which we know is already doable due to projects like the Trac-box, or some ODB devices that require to connect on the OBD port.

I don't want to pay $200+ for the Door Autolock functionality, and I my OBD port is already taken by my OBDLink MX+, so I will try to find a way to achieve a similar result using the connector behind the head unit.
Th0masL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th0masL For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (10-21-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 02:18 PM   #22
oddrelic

Drives: 2020 86 Hakone
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
What a great find this thread is. anyway

Ive been kicking around the idea of having physical gauges on my sim racing rig and there are some examples online and videos on youtube. Ive placed an order for some Arduino's and MCP2515 boards. Figuring i would have to sniff the bus on my 86 for a bit to find out how to control the gauge cluster outside of the car.

I don't have a lot to contribute at this point, but would like to.

here are some of the video's Ive been using to get started with CanBus comms, He goes way out of scope but its nice to see that data that can be pulled.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I hope to have some data for you in the future.
oddrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oddrelic For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (11-16-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 09:25 PM   #23
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
...solutions such as OBDLink MX+ which only supports operating in one mode (OBD-II or CAN) at a time.
@timurrrr
How does the OBDLink MX+ get configured to run in OBD2 mode vs running in CAN mode?

I just got one and plan on having the following
  1. OBD2 splitter
  2. OBD2 gauge on one end (oil temp, coolant temp, rpm, speed)
  3. ODBLink MX+ on the other
  4. RaceChrono linked up to the OBDLink MX+ but only through CAN (oil temp, coolant temp, speed, rpm, throttle position, brake position)

If I configure RaceChrono only with the CAN ID's you mentioned on GitHub is that considered putting the OBDLink MX+ in CAN mode? I looked through the OBDLink MX+'s documentation but couldn't find any mention of "modes" anywhere.

BTW thanks for the work on this project. I'm going to take a crack at building one for a friend's Gen 2 after I get my own situation sorted.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joon525 For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 01:03 AM   #24
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
How does the OBDLink MX+ get configured to run in OBD2 mode vs running in CAN mode?
In RaceChrono "Settings", you add your OBDLink MX+ either in the "OBD-II readers" section, or in the "Other devices" section with the "OBDLink LX/MX/MX+ Bluetooth (CAN-bus)" type.
Joon525 (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:00 AM   #25
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
In RaceChrono "Settings", you add your OBDLink MX+ either in the "OBD-II readers" section, or in the "Other devices" section with the "OBDLink LX/MX/MX+ Bluetooth (CAN-bus)" type.
Thank you, I saw that in the settings but since it didn't explicitly say "mode" I wanted to double check that there wasn't something I had to do with the OBDLink MX+ itself.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #26
wizzo

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a 22 BRZ and picked up an ANSIX Auto Can Adaptor as a solution to the Gen 2 OBD port. Which OBD tool would be required to run Race Chrono?

https://ansixauto.com/2022-brz-gt86-can-adapter/
wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote