follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2022, 10:33 AM   #1
Rexracer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
another window issue

new to me 2013 FRS.

A couple weeks ago i noticed the driver side switch's weren't rolling down the passenger side window. Got it working by playing with the buttons randomly.

Yesterday I noticed when I got out of the car the window didn't roll back up. Came into work and started researching, finding out all the information about re-calibrating the windows. Went out and tried it, but only managed to get the window stuck in the down position. Came in did more research to make sure I had the procedure correct, went back out nothing. At the end of the day tried it again, and viola, was able to reset the windows, got both sides working perfectly.

This AM, got in the car, and noticed the window didn't go up, and the switch's are blinking again. Tried the reset procedure, and nothing. Tried many times and still couldn't get the windows to act normally. Ended up taking the car home, as its now raining, and didn't want the window stuck open randomly all day. About the time I got home, finally got the windows acting normally and not flashing.

This all tells me its loosing its programing, or has a bad wire someplace, or window control module (if it has one) is going bad. That door was just replaced before buying the car, so maybe they didnt get something connected properly?

What should I be looking for?
Rexracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #2
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,322 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Loose connection or wiring
soundman98 (10-23-2022), Tcoat (09-28-2022), x808drifter (09-29-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 11:38 PM   #3
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexracer View Post
new to me 2013 FRS.

A couple weeks ago i noticed the driver side switch's weren't rolling down the passenger side window. Got it working by playing with the buttons randomly.

Yesterday I noticed when I got out of the car the window didn't roll back up. Came into work and started researching, finding out all the information about re-calibrating the windows. Went out and tried it, but only managed to get the window stuck in the down position. Came in did more research to make sure I had the procedure correct, went back out nothing. At the end of the day tried it again, and viola, was able to reset the windows, got both sides working perfectly.

This AM, got in the car, and noticed the window didn't go up, and the switch's are blinking again. Tried the reset procedure, and nothing. Tried many times and still couldn't get the windows to act normally. Ended up taking the car home, as its now raining, and didn't want the window stuck open randomly all day. About the time I got home, finally got the windows acting normally and not flashing.

This all tells me its loosing its programing, or has a bad wire someplace, or window control module (if it has one) is going bad. That door was just replaced before buying the car, so maybe they didnt get something connected properly?

What should I be looking for?
battery?
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
Rexracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
battery?
So after closely watching things for a few days. Every morning it does the same routine, open door, and the window goes fully down. Then you try and raise it and it goes up in 1-2" increments, like it doesnt know where its at.

So I was thinking maybe its loosing power, but nothing else is acting like that. Car starts fine, clock is still set correctly, etc etc.

I need to get the door panel open and look for a loose wire, or a ground. Or its just the switch assembly, if thats what stores the window positions.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:08 PM   #5
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So after closely watching things for a few days. Every morning it does the same routine, open door, and the window goes fully down. Then you try and raise it and it goes up in 1-2" increments, like it doesnt know where its at.

So I was thinking maybe its loosing power, but nothing else is acting like that. Car starts fine, clock is still set correctly, etc etc.

I need to get the door panel open and look for a loose wire, or a ground. Or its just the switch assembly, if thats what stores the window positions.
If it turns out your regulator or switch gear is bad shoot me a PM. I am parting out a full interior and will give you a good deal.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #6
Rexracer

So updating for posterity.

After living with it, the situation was very consistent. Every morning it would have forgotten its position. It wouldn't let me do the learning process until the car was turned off, then turned back on (sometimes have to be hours apart), then the 2nd time starting up, i could do the learning process. Then fine till next morning, and it was wrong again.

I picked up an extra switch set, didnt want to open it up, and not have the parts to fix.

When I opened it up, i noticed that the big connecter was not fully inserted. I pushed it in and the window moved a little. I went ahead and replaced the whole thing since I had it apart, but I think it was just the loose connector. the little push catch thing wasn't locking the connector in place, so when I installed, I used a pick to pry the push button back out to lock into place.
Hopefully someone else with a similar issue can read this and avoid the headaches I had.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rexracer For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-23-2022), Tcoat (10-22-2022), Ultramaroon (10-23-2022), Wally86 (10-28-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
So updating for posterity.

After living with it, the situation was very consistent. Every morning it would have forgotten its position. It wouldn't let me do the learning process until the car was turned off, then turned back on (sometimes have to be hours apart), then the 2nd time starting up, i could do the learning process. Then fine till next morning, and it was wrong again.

I picked up an extra switch set, didnt want to open it up, and not have the parts to fix.

When I opened it up, i noticed that the big connecter was not fully inserted. I pushed it in and the window moved a little. I went ahead and replaced the whole thing since I had it apart, but I think it was just the loose connector. the little push catch thing wasn't locking the connector in place, so when I installed, I used a pick to pry the push button back out to lock into place.
Hopefully someone else with a similar issue can read this and avoid the headaches I had.
So the very first answer to your question a month ago?
FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-31-2022), Wally86 (10-28-2022), x808drifter (10-22-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 12:32 AM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So the very first answer to your question a month ago?

This guy did the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do and ordered parts before even actually looking at it
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (10-28-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
'Another window issue'? Was there ever an 'initial window issue'?
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #10
Rexracer

To respond to the 3 of you.

Yes Im old enough and busy enough (2 kids with way to many activities) to not mess with a repair twice. So if any replacement parts are cheap enough, I am going to have them on hand. Its wasnt much money, and I got the repair done in 1 attempt instead of at least 2.

If you google "BRZ/FRS Window issue" you get lots of results. The window reset process isn't a common thing to all car manufactures. If you have had a bunch of Subaru's it may seem like common knowledge to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rexracer For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (10-28-2022)