follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #295
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post
Has anyone had inconsistent power when using the 12 volt source from the track box harness?

I'm just now piecing my car back together but I tied in my four Halo ring switches and my Greddy gauges all on the 12 volt source coming from the track box. Currently my gauges will turn on with the ignition switch and then turn off once the car is cranked or just after they've been on a few seconds, and the halo rings are illuminated but pulse bright to dim.

I'm going to dig a little deeper tonight or tomorrow but I figured I would ask the question to eliminate as much as possible.
Sounds like you're drawing a lot from the 12v. I would suggest re-wiring the gauges to get power from the cabin fuse box. I've got my gauges doing this and 5 illuminated toggle switches using the tracbox, no voltage issues to report.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:43 PM   #296
RACECAR go brrr!
Custom Switch Panels!

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Has anyone had inconsistent power when using the 12 volt source from the track box harness?

I'm just now piecing my car back together but I tied in my four Halo ring switches and my Greddy gauges all on the 12 volt source coming from the track box. Currently my gauges will turn on with the ignition switch and then turn off once the car is cranked or just after they've been on a few seconds, and the halo rings are illuminated but pulse bright to dim.

I'm going to dig a little deeper tonight or tomorrow but I figured I would ask the question to eliminate as much as possible.
Yeah, that is too much going through that TracBox. It's really only meant to provide enough power to allow switches to act as signal wires, and power the switch LEDs.

I reached out to Gerald to ask his thoughts and he said, "The internal resettable fuse it set to 150mA. Enough for all the LEDs. And the tracbox itself. You should never use it to power anything else."

Order your own custom Toyobaru switch panel at www.racecargobrrr.com!
RACECAR go brrr! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RACECAR go brrr! For This Useful Post:
Swolzee (09-23-2022), villainous_frx (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 09:05 PM   #297
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:

The tracbox is made with a internal resetable fuse that it set to 150mA. its enough for the tracbox and the switches and LEDs. But not for additional things. We designed it to be that way to save the user incase they mess up the wiring. You can T off the side that goes from the box to the car. Is covered by the cars fuse.
Swolzee (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 09:14 PM   #298
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Fantastic. It definitely sounds like that's the issue I'm running into here so I really do appreciate all of your replies and the promptness of them especially.

I'll wire it in via the fuse box and see how it works for me. Thanks again.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM   #299
Favato

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I`m considering buying the trac-box and would like to know if it is ok to fit on a 2013 model with motec m150.

I`m sorry if this is a simple or stupid question, cheers
Favato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #300
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favato View Post
I`m considering buying the trac-box and would like to know if it is ok to fit on a 2013 model with motec m150.

I`m sorry if this is a simple or stupid question, cheers
most features will work expect for turning fans 100% on. Other then that it will work.
CSG Mike (10-04-2022)