follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #15
stillslow93

Drives: 2015 BRZ JDL Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the xt-ss in right now and have the exact same issue. Once the car is hot it will take upwards of 30 seconds of sitting on the clutch to slide into first or reverse...

Does yours sometime get stuck IN first or reverse when you are stopped? A couple times I've gotten into a parking spot only to find I'm stuck in gear. Based off what you have said we have the same problem and I'm not pointing fingers but ACT might need to buy some clutches back
stillslow93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #16
j_ros94

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
I had this issue 2 nights ago when i was driving. I was stopped at a light and suddenly i cant go in any gear. It only happened twice. Is it the fluid? How do i check the tranny fluid in this car?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
j_ros94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stopped at light and suddenly cannot put into gear? I got exactly such issue two months ago.
Problem was reverse detent, that got worn (or moved? or misadjusted? (had few service work that included gearbox drop month before that)). Most probably if you don't push strongly to left, then you'll be able to slide into 1st or 2nd easily as before, you can try this as temporary fix. If you push lever to left strongly, due misadjusted (or worn) detent you would be able to put in gear only if you rise reverse-lockout .. but obviously that would mean that instead of 1st you get reverse (use this as test if your issue is same - if you can or cannot get into gear easily depending on how strong you push lever to side).
It really freaked me out, as i couldn't understand what was going on. In some cases i could easily put into gear, in some, 1st & 2nd was unusable, and had to start from stoplight in 3rd, dragging & wearing clutch a lot. It started midway during long drive and took me long time and several such fscked up starts at traffic lights, stops at parking to try find wtf is going on. I guess when i got even angrier i subconsciously tried to push even stronger to side, to get into 1st & 2nd "for sure", failing even more often, while with light gearswitches test when parked was fine. Long time and lot of wrecked nerves to notice pattern. Might been there even long before, but by coincidence not triggered until i pressed lever to side too strong, when wanted to put in 1st at that stop light.
For permanent fix, i brought it to dealership, voiced my observations and probable reason, and they fixed it. Though told me that detent looked rather worn, and readjustment will work for now, but if in future issue reappears, i should replace.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:11 AM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ros94 View Post
I had this issue 2 nights ago when i was driving. I was stopped at a light and suddenly i cant go in any gear. It only happened twice. Is it the fluid? How do i check the tranny fluid in this car?

Thanks

It's my understanding that there is a fill plug on the side of the transmission, take out the plug and stick your pinky in there to see if you can feel oil. If not, fill it up till it won't take no more, then replace the plug.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #19
j_ros94

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It's my understanding that there is a fill plug on the side of the transmission, take out the plug and stick your pinky in there to see if you can feel oil. If not, fill it up till it won't take no more, then replace the plug.
Thank you

Old 09-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #20
j_ros94

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Stopped at light and suddenly cannot put into gear? I got exactly such issue two months ago.
Problem was reverse detent, that got worn (or moved? or misadjusted? (had few service work that included gearbox drop month before that)). Most probably if you don't push strongly to left, then you'll be able to slide into 1st or 2nd easily as before, you can try this as temporary fix. If you push lever to left strongly, due misadjusted (or worn) detent you would be able to put in gear only if you rise reverse-lockout .. but obviously that would mean that instead of 1st you get reverse (use this as test if your issue is same - if you can or cannot get into gear easily depending on how strong you push lever to side).
It really freaked me out, as i couldn't understand what was going on. In some cases i could easily put into gear, in some, 1st & 2nd was unusable, and had to start from stoplight in 3rd, dragging & wearing clutch a lot. It started midway during long drive and took me long time and several such fscked up starts at traffic lights, stops at parking to try find wtf is going on. I guess when i got even angrier i subconsciously tried to push even stronger to side, to get into 1st & 2nd "for sure", failing even more often, while with light gearswitches test when parked was fine. Long time and lot of wrecked nerves to notice pattern. Might been there even long before, but by coincidence not triggered until i pressed lever to side too strong, when wanted to put in 1st at that stop light.
For permanent fix, i brought it to dealership, voiced my observations and probable reason, and they fixed it. Though told me that detent looked rather worn, and readjustment will work for now, but if in future issue reappears, i should replace.
The temporary fix works like a charm. Gonna have the adjustment checked out

Old 09-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #21
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good, now with it knowing you'll be able to drive even if adjustment will be postponed to who knows when. And twice good, as it also with 90% probability pinpointed culprit, so less time wasted on diagnosing and dealership won't charge for unrelated things
To rest, this issue completely unrelated to most of thread, where issue most probable due not completely disengaging clutch drag, where it's for other gears switch too, and is common to that particular clutch.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:22 PM   #22
Moooiiissst
The moisture is real

Drives: '15 WR Blue BRZ Limited 6spd
Garage
Yup, same issue here. I can also attest that I have an ACT SB7-HDSS clutch/flywheel combo kit that I purchased about 12k miles ago and I am experiencing the EXACT same issues as the OP - when my car is cold, it shifts like butter, but as soon as it heats up, it's like I'm trying to push through a very badly misaligned shift gate. I cringe every time I shift because I feel like I'm damaging my tranny, but it's the only way I can get around as this is my daily driver.

I've been trying to look into what it could possibly be and I, too, just recently replaced my clutch master cylinder in hopes that would help. Nope! Nothing. I have yet to replace the slave cylinder, but if I learned anything in this thread and other threads I have read through, it won't make a difference. It seems like the ACT clutch has to go.

Does anyone know if I can JUST replace the clutch or if I have to replace the flywheel as well since it was purchased as a combo kit as the one shown here: https://www.advancedclutch.com/produ...=p4019-c297715?

Also, is there a chance the synchros can be ruined by this? Or would they not be affected in the scenario explained by the OP? Not sure if they are completely independent systems in this case. I'd hate to have to do a whole transmission rebuild...
Moooiiissst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:26 AM   #23
dholloway543
Software Hobbiest

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moooiiissst View Post
Does anyone know if I can JUST replace the clutch or if I have to replace the flywheel as well since it was purchased as a combo kit as the one shown here: https://www.advancedclutch.com/produ...=p4019-c297715?

This depends. If you buy another ACT clutch then no. If you buy a clutch that requires the stock flywheel then yes. It wasn't cheap from Subaru so maybe you can try picking up a used one from a junkyard or something and doing a resurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moooiiissst View Post
Also, is there a chance the synchros can be ruined by this? Or would they not be affected in the scenario explained by the OP? Not sure if they are completely independent systems in this case. I'd hate to have to do a whole transmission rebuild...

I drove my ACT clutch for 6 months to a year before I could afford to replace it. During winter was the worst, there where times I had to just brute it into gear as there was traffic behind me. Plus I purposefully grinded the synchros a little to record it as posted in page 1 of the forum. I can say though that your synchros are probably not damaged as mine weren't. Remember trucks from 88 still have the stock synchros in them and are shifting fine to this day still through probably many bad drivers. You probably took a year or 2 off the synchros but nothing to worry about.

I do suggest getting a new clutch though, not only for the safety of the trans but also just for sanity.
dholloway543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #24
stillslow93

Drives: 2015 BRZ JDL Turbo
Did you get anywhere with this?
stillslow93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #25
j_ros94

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillslow93 View Post
Did you get anywhere with this?
So far just did a clutch adjustment and its fine. I'm waiting till when it gets cold.