follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2016, 01:52 AM   #1
RB-BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How loud is the Invidia N1???

Hi Guys,
I am looking into buying an India N1 cat back system. I live in Australia and we have noise restrictions. I was wondering if anyone knew how loud the exhaust is. If you could get a sound meter app on your phone and record how loud it gets at red line it would be awesome! Although it isn't very accurate at least I could gauge how loud it is. I'm planning to run the system without silencers so a noise level without silencers would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2016, 03:55 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-BRZ View Post
Hi Guys,
I am looking into buying an India N1 cat back system. I live in Australia and we have noise restrictions. I was wondering if anyone knew how loud the exhaust is. If you could get a sound meter app on your phone and record how loud it gets at red line it would be awesome! Although it isn't very accurate at least I could gauge how loud it is. I'm planning to run the system without silencers so a noise level without silencers would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mate this is like asking how long is a piece of string, everyone definition of loud is different.

However the N1 is one of the loudest catbacks arround, if you like loud exhausts its probably ok if your only exhaust mod is the catback. Coupled with catless header or other exhaust mods N1 is super loud and usually droney.

If you dont like loud stay away from N1, even by itself it a loud catback.

Cold startup will wake the dead

Invidia Q300 or a KLS copy are pretty quiet but sound nice and ok with catless header.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
RB-BRZ (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 03:57 AM   #3
RB-BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Mate this is like asking how long is a piece of string, everyone definition of loud is different.

However the N1 is one of the loudest catbacks arround, if you like loud exhausts its probably ok if your only exhaust mod is the catback. Coupled with catless header or other exhaust mods N1 is super loud and usually droney.

If you dont like loud stay away from N1, even by itself it a loud catback.

Cold startup will wake the dead

Invidia Q300 or a KLS copy are pretty quiet but sound nice and ok with catless header.

I'm asking for an actual number. I know everyone's interpretation of what 'loud' is will be different. I'm looking for a loud cat back I would just like to know if it surpasses the 93db sound limit in Australia.
MrFisty (10-27-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 04:15 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-BRZ View Post
I'm asking for an actual number. I know everyone's interpretation of what 'loud' is will be different. I'm looking for a loud cat back I would just like to know if it surpasses the 93db sound limit in Australia.

Ill say no chance an N1 catback will be less than 93db.

I have a hks legamax premium about the quietest one arround, with just catback the noise level was only slightly louder than stock, ie you had to have the window down to hear it. and its rated at 91 db stock is 89, an N1 is way way louder even with silencers in..
see link below

the legamax was designed to be legal :-)

Whoever does measurement would need to do them at same distance and rpm and same angle from exhaust.

In the end it wont matter a rats arse what the sound level is if the coppers think it loud they will defect you anyway they dont carry sound meters, jist swap it back for test.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...ffler/db/13676
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
RB-BRZ (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 04:23 AM   #5
RB-BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Ill say no chance an N1 catback will be less than 93db.

I have a hks legamax premium about the quietest one arround, with just catback the noise level was only slightly louder than stock, ie you had to have the window down to hear it. and its rated at 91 db stock is 89, an N1 is way way louder even with silencers in..
see link below

the legamax was designed to be legal :-)

Whoever does measurement would need to do them at same distance and rpm and same angle from exhaust.

In the end it wont matter a rats arse what the sound level is if the coppers think it loud they will defect you anyway they dont carry sound meters, jist swap it back for test.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...ffler/db/13676
Sounds good haha! I'll just say I forgot to put the silencers in, was just seeing how it sounded without them. Nice to know I'll be breaking the law.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
Songha

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
I find it funny that the N1 is so loud but many of us have it paired w/ a full catless set up and still feel like it isn't loud enough, ie myself, I've isses. But it definitely is loud even with just the catback alone, have to say though you can sort of control the noise. It' s hella loud when you step on it but tameable to a certain extent.

You can click on my build thread link, I have a video on the catback alone, paired w/ the catless frontpipe and then one w/ my UEL + OP.
2013 Scion FR-S | 6-MT | Raven Black | Performance Mods: Invidia N1 Catback, Invidia Catless Frontpipe, BC Racing Extreme Lows Coilovers, 1320 Performance UEL Catless Headers, 1320 Performance Overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet (Stage 2 UEL, 93 Oct. tune), Whiteline Front Swaybar, Whitelight Adj. Front Endlinks | Asthetic Mods: DS Style Front Lip, Rocket Bunny style flares, F1R F21s | MY BUILD THREAD!
Songha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Songha For This Useful Post:
RB-BRZ (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
RB-BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songha View Post
I find it funny that the N1 is so loud but many of us have it paired w/ a full catless set up and still feel like it isn't loud enough, ie myself, I've isses. But it definitely is loud even with just the catback alone, have to say though you can sort of control the noise. It' s hella loud when you step on it but tameable to a certain extent.

You can click on my build thread link, I have a video on the catback alone, paired w/ the catless frontpipe and then one w/ my UEL + OP.
Thanks man!
Old 10-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
Midjetv8

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I find it fine. After the first 500km that is. Fresh after the install it was super bassy between 3 - 4k rpm which drove me insane. In Australia as well by the way. Driven by the fuzz a few times and they haven't cared.
Midjetv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Midjetv8 For This Useful Post:
RB-BRZ (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 04:53 AM   #9
Captain

Drives: 15' Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
By all means that the N1 is past that db level. However I live in CA and I run the N1 with a catless uel and a berk catted fp. Is it loud? to some yes. Is it loud for me? I grown to love it and find that it isnt enough, I want more.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain For This Useful Post:
RB-BRZ (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #10
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Where do you want decibel readings from and under what circumstances? You ask for information but then fail to define your requirements. N1 is an popular exhaust and I'm sure many people including myself would help you out....if you helped us out and defined your question a little better.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
RB-BRZ (10-28-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
@Trac Toy, have you measured how loud yours is?
Old 10-28-2016, 02:11 AM   #12
RB-BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Where do you want decibel readings from and under what circumstances? You ask for information but then fail to define your requirements. N1 is an popular exhaust and I'm sure many people including myself would help you out....if you helped us out and defined your question a little better.
Test would be preferably be done outdoors with little to know wind. About 1 meter or so away from the car at around bumper height.

Tags
australia, cat back, exhaust, invidia, loud