follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Orbital

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Crash Beam Questions...

It appears most turbo kits require trimming/cutting or some type of crash beam modification. At first I was thinking, so what?! I won't base my decision of which kit to get on this. However, recently the salesman I purchased my car from, he also owns an FRS, got into an accident and his car was totaled. So, that got me thinking do I want to mess with that? Even if it doesn't help in a crash it's just a reason for an insurance company to deny your claim.

My first question would be just that, can they deny your claim because of modification or removal of the crash beam?

Second, is AVO the only turbo that does not require messing with the beam? (Seems like a good layout with the turbo underneath for heat management, but gets expensive when going for like stage 2 power).

Any insight or help appreciated.
Orbital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Modification of the crash beam only requires small cutting. Nothing that would cause insurance to deny your claim. They're designed to crumble to absorb impact. Aftermarket crash beam however is something I cannot answer. General rule is aftermarket crash beam = off-road use only, even though I run one on my car.

There are a few kits which don't require modification, but if they do, it is again only minor cutting.
BRZoomTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Most of the ones that specifically require cutting require fairly substantial cutting. JDL and Greddy are two which come to mind. Some like Full-Race come with new beams, but I don't think that would potentially fly in an insurance case either.

P&L and Full-Blown I'm fairly sure do not require any cutting or if they do it is minor. AVO and the other undermount setup I can't remember the name of shouldn't either.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
BRZoomTX

Whether you want to call it minor or substantial, the actual cutting can be done in less than 5 minutes.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Modifying your car at all should come with the realization you are opening yourself up to denied claims, be it warranty or insurance. They will always look for an out.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrk1 For This Useful Post:
slicktop (09-26-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
We offer 3 options...

1. Cut your beam and don't look back :P
2. Run our aftermarket tubular bumper bar.
3. Long route piping option. Requires no cutting or trimming however is additional $.
Jesse@JDLAutodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ron] View Post
Modification of the crash beam only requires small cutting. Nothing that would cause insurance to deny your claim. They're designed to crumble to absorb impact. Aftermarket crash beam however is something I cannot answer. General rule is aftermarket crash beam = off-road use only, even though I run one on my car.

There are a few kits which don't require modification, but if they do, it is again only minor cutting.

As @mrk1 pointed out, any modifications you do to your car, you're risking denial in an insurance claim circumstance. If you think otherwise, imagine if someone with [X] turbo kit, racing/speeding/whatever that causes a traffic accident that claims the live(s) of [X] people. You're telling me that someone won't try to sue their insurance company for [X] dollars and all they'd have to say is, "their car was modified and its safety features were modified."

Insurance companies are a business. If they can find a way out of a lawsuit, modifying a safety feature is an extremely easy way out.

2013 Scion FRS
2JZ-GTE/V160 Swap Build Thread
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Fresh31

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Treadstone performance kit doesn't require cutting I believe. I'm going with their kit myself in about a month 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fresh31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
It appears most turbo kits require trimming/cutting or some type of crash beam modification. At first I was thinking, so what?! I won't base my decision of which kit to get on this. However, recently the salesman I purchased my car from, he also owns an FRS, got into an accident and his car was totaled. So, that got me thinking do I want to mess with that? Even if it doesn't help in a crash it's just a reason for an insurance company to deny your claim.

My first question would be just that, can they deny your claim because of modification or removal of the crash beam?

Second, is AVO the only turbo that does not require messing with the beam? (Seems like a good layout with the turbo underneath for heat management, but gets expensive when going for like stage 2 power).

Any insight or help appreciated.
The crash beam is designed not to crumple in a crash. The beams purpose is to spread impact across the entire crumple zone of the front. Cutting the beam is a bad idea. Removing it completely is a horrible idea.

Do what you want it's your car. Don't get into an offset collision with that bar removed as this car is light and you need every bit of the front to absorb impact not just half. My $.02
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
Ken@PTuning

Drives: '92 Nissan 240sx KA-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Ken@PTuning
Our kit doesn't require any modification of the front crash beam. We designed it specifically so you wouldn't have to.
Ken@PTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken@PTuning For This Useful Post:
Ravenna (01-02-2017)
Old 09-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
As @mrk1 pointed out, any modifications you do to your car, you're risking denial in an insurance claim circumstance. If you think otherwise, imagine if someone with [X] turbo kit, racing/speeding/whatever that causes a traffic accident that claims the live(s) of [X] people. You're telling me that someone won't try to sue their insurance company for [X] dollars and all they'd have to say is, "their car was modified and its safety features were modified."

Insurance companies are a business. If they can find a way out of a lawsuit, modifying a safety feature is an extremely easy way out.
I get that, but a front-end collision that has potential to total your car, the adjuster wont think to look for something like a cut crash bar. Anything over a 10 to 15mph impact and the crash bar is completely gone anyway.

But you're right, they do look for every way to get out of a claim. However people exaggerate cutting on the crash bar. They would look at the downsides of lowered cars with tons of camber which limits traction as a risk long before a slightly cut crash bar that would be destroyed either way.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
FBM requires 2 modifications. Neither which will really be obvious to anyone in the insurance field should you get in an accident.

1- Oblong the mounting holes so you can slide the crash beam up higher to fit the intercooler.
2- Drill 2 holes to mount the intercooler. Which has a bolt going through the holes.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:34 AM   #13
arthur93

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I know I am reviving an old thread, but don't want to create another for something relating to crash beams...

I was wondering if anyone knew the gap between the stock crash beam and the condenser. I am going turbo at the end of the year with the full race kit, but will be creating a custom intercooler in order to retain the stock crash beam. I intend on having a design identical to the full race, but narrower to fit.

I know there are kits like the AVO which fit with the stock one, but that sits more below rather than behind the beam.

I would check myself, but I don't yet own the car!!
arthur93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone looked into removing the foam and adding machined spacers to push the crash beam further forward? This could make enough room for a small intercooler like on the Greddy/Blitz/SBD kits.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote