follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2024, 01:20 AM   #15
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
how does it drains back to PCV? the car when driving in vacuum, will PULL air through PCV , sourcing it through the CCV side which take atmosphere pressure air from intake side pre throttle pre forced induction. Air will end up into intake manifold post throttle, possibly cleaned by the AOS

Then when in Boost, ideally the PCV closes and any excess in the crankcase should be getting into CCV side so into intake side pre throttle pre forced induction

Is this AOS relying on a weak oem PCV that leaks under boost and so hoping the vapours will end back back into crankcase and stay there?

Also, are the 2 collecting chambers inside the AOS somehow connected to each other so that all the oil collected by both PCV side when in vacuum, and ccv side when in boost, is going to router back together into crankcase through the PCV as said here in this thread?
if yes i see many criticality in this

something isn t right to me

Last edited by tomm.brz; 03-11-2024 at 01:37 AM.
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:38 AM   #16
Diddy Kong Had A Dong

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Ts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
how does it drains back to PCV? the car when driving un vacuum, will PULL air through PCV , sourcing it through the CCV side which take atmosphere pressure air from intake side pre throttle. Air will end up into intake manifold post throttle, possibly cleaned by the AOS

Then when in Boost, ideally the PCV closes and any excess should be getting into CCV side so into intake side pre throttle.

Is this AOS relying on a weak oem PCV that leaks under boost and so hoping the vapours will end back back into crankcase and stay there?

something isn t right to me
I’m still very new to catch cans/AOS’s, but following the install guide on DT’s website, the top most port goes to intake pre turbo, the 2nd to top goes to crank case behind the AC compressor, then below that it goes to the intake manifold, and bottom most port is the one that goes to the PCV valve. I was also wondering how it can drain back through the PCV since that’s what it looks like (unless I’m wrong then I apologize) but I haven’t seen any oil in my charge pipes yet after a few days of spirited driving
Old 03-11-2024, 09:18 AM   #17
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
would be interesting to understand how is it routed inside, how you said is how you install 2 separate catch cans in our car

But having those 2 chambers linked inside would be very wrong, so still something isn t clear on Delicious's description
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:57 PM   #18
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy Kong Had A Dong View Post
I’m still very new to catch cans/AOS’s, but following the install guide on DT’s website, the top most port goes to intake pre turbo, the 2nd to top goes to crank case behind the AC compressor, then below that it goes to the intake manifold, and bottom most port is the one that goes to the PCV valve. I was also wondering how it can drain back through the PCV since that’s what it looks like (unless I’m wrong then I apologize) but I haven’t seen any oil in my charge pipes yet after a few days of spirited driving
On a Turbo set up the PCV valve needs to be between the intake manifold and the catch can to keep boost pressure from getting to the AOS can and pressurizing the crankcase. My turbo kit got rid of the factory PCV valve and installed an inline valve at the hose to the intake manifold.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 03:20 PM   #19
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Double post

Last edited by Grady; 03-11-2024 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Double post.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:15 PM   #20
Diddy Kong Had A Dong

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Ts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
On a Turbo set up the PCV valve needs to be between the intake manifold and the catch can to keep boost pressure from getting to the AOS can and pressurizing the crankcase. My turbo kit got rid of the factory PCV valve and installed an inline valve at the hose to the intake manifold.
I see. With my JDL kit, there was nothing really happening to the PCV system but one install guide I followed said to replace the PCV valve with an STI valve so I went ahead and did that. But then I started doing some supporting mods/track prep to the car and wanted an AOS and saw that this DT system is new and it’s a pretty trusted company for this platform so I went ahead and got theirs. Looking at the system it does seem like instead of pulling vacuum through the PCV it might be sending boost to/through it so I hope DT can let us know some more information on this AOS and how it works!
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #21
bad82

Drives: 17 BRZ PP,16 Juke Nismo RS AWD
Garage
Got mine installed today, currently running the stock PCV. I am doing this in preparation for a JDL turbo kit I will be installing later this year. I left the hoses with a little extra length to make it easier to adjust as needed when the turbo setup goes on.

I am also wondering about how it functions, I guess it would make sense that it drains through the PCV when the engine is not under load and the crankcase is in vacuum condition. I am planning on swapping to the STI spec PCV when the turbo goes on.

@DT please let us know if this is the intended install method for NA soon to be boosted setups.

Here are a few pics from my install, pretty straight forward aside from a missing union 1/2" that I easily picked up at O'Reilles around the corner. I think it looks great in black!

https://imgur.com/Ng2WpFO

https://imgur.com/5o7IZGs
You can see all the extra hose I left looped in this pic

Last edited by bad82; Yesterday at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added some detail
bad82 is offline   Reply With Quote