follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-17-2020, 10:39 PM   #10837
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urmyson View Post
Interested for sure, are you planning on compounding the units or making a Y adapter? I've been on the fence about upgrading to a SBD kit, but if the results are pretty good I'd be up for picking up a second used one.

I've was hoping Phantom or Torque would put a bigger motor/turbo housing for more boost but nothing ever happened. I'm surprised that the Torque system isn't pushing double phantom boost numbers since they are using 48v instead of 24v.

Anyways keep us posted and take pics.
Im doing compound. Torqamp recommended for engines under 3.0 compound would give the best results and engines over 3.0 you want to go with a Y pipe. Now this would be so much simpler if I just opt. To not go with the intercooler but I plan on getting the most potential. The first pic is with a prototype by pass valve from torqamp this is to get rid of the restrictions the two phantoms and intercooler would cause when not boosting. And the send pic is how simple it could be if I just didn't care for the hotter charged air and twin charger restriction.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:58 PM   #10838
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Just wondering if the 7 lbs max is limited buy the electric motor torque or flow. If its torque you will still be limited to 7 lbs if ran parallel, it will just make the 7lbs carry further up the rpm range. Also you may run into surge depending on how fast the air is leaving the compressor wheel. The signs will be a fluttering boost gauge.

If you do compound you should get 18.7 lbs but It will still fall off and fall off faster as rpms increase. I'm just not sure how much or how fast.
Just some theorys.

Lol I was typing while you were posting
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #10839
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
Just wondering if the 7 lbs max is limited buy the electric motor torque or flow. If its torque you will still be limited to 7 lbs if ran parallel, it will just make the 7lbs carry further up the rpm range. Also you may run into surge depending on how fast the air is leaving the compressor wheel. The signs will be a fluttering boost gauge.

If you do compound you should get 18.7 lbs but It will still fall off and fall off faster as rpms increase. I'm just not sure how much or how fast.
Just some theorys.

Lol I was typing while you were posting
Theres a video on youtube where they tested two torqamps both in sequence and parallel. When they did it in sequence (one blower blowing into the other) they hit 8psi. When they did it in compound with y pipe they made slightly more hp but less tq and the engine surged because of the increased air mass flow. This is why I want to do sequence to get the 8psi without the engine surge.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:21 PM   #10840
solidsnake11

Then I would assume the electric motors do not have the torque to maintain a 1.5 pressure ratio each in compound. I thought of it a little more and the compressor closest to air filter would have to flow enough volume of air that the engine uses at 18lbs so it would need to be larger. Compound is One blowing into the other.

Last edited by solidsnake11; 06-18-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #10841
solidsnake11

For the y design.You could put a reducer in the housings to increase the speed of the compressor wheel to change the surge line.
It would need to be pretty close to the blades to be effective.

Another thought would be a variable recirculating valve to keep the compressors out of surge at lower rpms. It could be as simple as a wastegate with a better seal set to open at 7 lbs.

Just some thoughts. Looking forward to your build.

Last edited by solidsnake11; 06-18-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #10842
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
What is your plan for batteries? Are you going with lithium or doubling up on the AGM's? And what about the alternator? Are you going stock or changing to a higher capacity?
Regardless, it looks like a really cool project. But it looks like you might have opened a real can-o-worms.
It's great somebody had the curiousity (balls) to to take on this experiment.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #10843
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
What is your plan for batteries? Are you going with lithium or doubling up on the AGM's? And what about the alternator? Are you going stock or changing to a higher capacity?

Regardless, it looks like a really cool project. But it looks like you might have opened a real can-o-worms.

It's great somebody had the curiousity (balls) to to take on this experiment.
Just another set of AGM. Since I plan on using the throttle switch I won't always be boosting so I don't have to be worried about the alternator constantly having to recharge the batteries. On that note I have looked at some alternators just in case it goes out

Old 07-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #10844
BlOody_BoOger

Does anyone know if I can simply plug this return hose up or let it spill into the air. I noticed when removing the phantom there was quite a bit of oil residue on the propeller side. And I'm sure it's that return line.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlOody_BoOger For This Useful Post:
Carsnguitars (07-14-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #10845
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
Does anyone know if I can simply plug this return hose up or let it spill into the air. I noticed when removing the phantom there was quite a bit of oil residue on the propeller side. And I'm sure it's that return line.

are you referring to the hose going into the intake pipe right before manifold? that comes from the crankcase breather on the engine?

You can plug that hole on the intake pipe, and vent the crankcase breather to atmosphere using a filter.
or if not deleting.
If a blower is installed before that hose then that hose should have a one way check valve going into the intake pipe (i believe JRSC and other centrifugal sc include this in install kit) phantom might not (maybe they do idk) just because the boost is so low and the time its in boost is so little it might not be as big of deal. but if you are running two of them i would make sure to do this. or just delete it venting to atmosphere with filter.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
BlOody_BoOger (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #10846
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
are you referring to the hose going into the intake pipe right before manifold? that comes from the crankcase breather on the engine?

You can plug that hole on the intake pipe, and vent the crankcase breather to atmosphere using a filter.
or if not deleting.
If a blower is installed before that hose then that hose should have a one way check valve going into the intake pipe (i believe JRSC and other centrifugal sc include this in install kit) phantom might not (maybe they do idk) just because the boost is so low and the time its in boost is so little it might not be as big of deal. but if you are running two of them i would make sure to do this. or just delete it venting to atmosphere with filter.
I'll probably vent to atmosphere with filter

Old 07-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #10847
BlOody_BoOger

So here is the final set up. After some modifications to the eBay intercooler piping and several extra couplers I had to buy. I finally have the car finished. The only thing left is the flex fuel kit and tune. I'll do a quick video tomorrow looking closer at what I did and post the link

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlOody_BoOger For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (07-18-2020), JonAvalon (07-19-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #10848
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
So here is the final set up. After some modifications to the eBay intercooler piping and several extra couplers I had to buy. I finally have the car finished. The only thing left is the flex fuel kit and tune. I'll do a quick video tomorrow looking closer at what I did and post the link

Can't wait to see this.. who is doing the tuning? Also you going ecutek?

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #10849
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Can't wait to see this.. who is doing the tuning? Also you going ecutek?

I'm getting it done at the racers line in Concord Ca since I already have the OFT the tuner is trying to do it with OFT he just needs to get the approval from shiv. Which Im sure he will since he works with shiv a lot directly. Otherwise then yes the next best option would be ecutek. As for the flex fuel kit if shiv has the oft kit in stock then that's the first option, if not then the delicious tunning kit.

jflogerzi (07-18-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 08:56 PM   #10850
BlOody_BoOger

Here you go guys here's the link to a video kinda explaining the build. I didn't make the video public just cuz I made it to show you guys here in the forum.

86TOYO2k17 (07-19-2020)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive