follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
lc300

Drives: 2014 BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any Experience with Power Stop Brakes?

This brand "Power Stop" has been sending their products to many YouTubers who track their cars and are doing some pretty heavy marketing to get their name out their. Every video I've seen on them praise how good they are for their value.

Google search shows that the Corvette guys have had a prositive experience with them as well.

Has anyone else tested this brand on their BRZ/FRS? With their Track Day pads, priced at around $80 per axle, it's an incredible bargain. If they're as good as their more popular competitors, it'll be a no brainer to go with them.
lc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
you get what you pay for
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
D-rek07

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarinesonce View Post
you get what you pay for
Not necessarily. Smaller, less known companies have to entice you to buy their product, normally with lower prices. Big name brands have such a large markup you might be spending twice as much on a product that is very similar to the cheaper, less known company. However, you might also buying complete crap. Kinda up to the individual to take that risk.
D-rek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D-rek07 For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
scion fr-s

Drives: 2017 PP BRZ
I like "Power Stop"! I ran them on my Scion Tc and Toyota Corolla.
scion fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-rek07 View Post
Not necessarily. Smaller, less known companies have to entice you to buy their product, normally with lower prices. Big name brands have such a large markup you might be spending twice as much on a product that is very similar to the cheaper, less known company. However, you might also buying complete crap. Kinda up to the individual to take that risk.
im not willing to risk my ass when these no name pads fail to haul me down from triple digits. youre welcome to be the canary though
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've heard from several corvette track guys that they work pretty well. Certainly no glaring failures. They seem like a capable budget pad, from what I've heard.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I know of one competitive driver (wins regional events consistently, going to nationals this year), who uses Powerstop on his twin. He's looking to upgrade to a Brembo system, but it certainly got the job done for him until now! He's just looking for more as both he and his car continue to develop and get faster.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
I'm by no means a record setting driver, have a lot of autocross experience but not much track experience yet.

That said, I'm extremely happy with the Powerstop PSA "Track day advance" pads I'm running. Have made it through a few hot track days in the Southeast (namely Gridlife South last year) with no issues and a confident feel every braking zone.

For the price, until I'm at the point where I'm a track expert and may want fine tweaks for max competitiveness, I'm extremely happy with them.
bigbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I've done several track days and no problems. No fade and nice grip not grabby. I'll buy again
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #10
treedodger

Drives: 2022 GR86 (was 2013 BRZ)
I'm know I'm late to this party, but I've had good experience with Powerstop Trackday Spec pads w/ a Stock Class BRZ and SX2's (TW260). Just make sure you get the PSA formulation. The fronts last about 8-9 days and the rears about twice that. But at that price, it's still the best brake pad value I have found.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=369

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc300 View Post
This brand "Power Stop" has been sending their products to many YouTubers who track their cars and are doing some pretty heavy marketing to get their name out their. Every video I've seen on them praise how good they are for their value.

Google search shows that the Corvette guys have had a positive experience with them as well.

Has anyone else tested this brand on their BRZ/FRS? With their Track Day pads, priced at around $80 per axle, it's an incredible bargain. If they're as good as their more popular competitors, it'll be a no brainer to go with them.
treedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:48 AM   #11
askho

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I've used the Track Day specs for auto cross and a single track day.

Pros:
- minimal noise.
- good cold bite (I could street these)
- dirt cheap
- initial bite is pretty strong. (For a frame of reference it bites harder than Hawk HP+ by 20% imo but is very progressive afterwards and is easy to modulate.)

Cons:
- They dust like mad
- The dust is sticky when wet and is somewhat hard to wash off
- The dust rusts in the wet
- I ate up 60% of the pad at Mission Raceway in BC Canada after 4 twenty min sessions. (Mission is known to be hard on brakes however)
- Small amounts of brake fade on lap 11 (~15 mins into the session). I was running RE71r tires so i had pretty good grip. (Tires went greasy before the brakes though.)

I probably would not buy again based on the amount of wear i saw on the fronts in a single track day at my local track.
askho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by askho View Post
I've used the Track Day specs for auto cross and a single track day.

Pros:
- minimal noise.
- good cold bite (I could street these)
- dirt cheap
- initial bite is pretty strong. (For a frame of reference it bites harder than Hawk HP+ by 20% imo but is very progressive afterwards and is easy to modulate.)

Cons:
- They dust like mad
- The dust is sticky when wet and is somewhat hard to wash off
- The dust rusts in the wet
- I ate up 60% of the pad at Mission Raceway in BC Canada after 4 twenty min sessions. (Mission is known to be hard on brakes however)
- Small amounts of brake fade on lap 11 (~15 mins into the session). I was running RE71r tires so i had pretty good grip. (Tires went greasy before the brakes though.)

I probably would not buy again based on the amount of wear i saw on the fronts in a single track day at my local track.
I got 2 days at Willow Springs, 2 days at Laguna Seca and 4AC’s and 5k street miles. They were toast after that. Replaced with same. They DO dust a lot but that isn’t a concern with black wheels
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote