follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #29
Badasi12b

Drives: 2014 Honda Accord Coupe V6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demotic View Post
Under 25k right. with tax, interest and everything included mine came out to 31K.

THIS! Same thing i said in reference to that article...lol
Badasi12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #30
Burninator
Trogdor ftw

Drives: Asphalt FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demotic View Post
Under 25k right. with tax, interest and everything included mine came out to 31K.
It is entirely possible to get close to that number. If I didn't purchase extras or accessories with mine, it would have been under $26k after tax & dealer fees (not including financing interest). Just depends on where you live and what you can haggle down with the dealer.

In SC we pay $300 max for sales tax, but we make up for it in having to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 yearly in property taxes.

As far as under 25k? Bout the only way you could possibly get that number is with the grad or military discounts but even then it would probably go over 25k.

"Hell hath no fury like a driver stuck behind a Toyota Prius."
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #31
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've gotta disagree with them putting the V6 Camaro on this list. The thing is boaty, heavy, and you feel like you're sitting in a tank when you drive it. It has over 300hp, sure, but it feels like it has less power than the FRS because of its weight. Overall, your driving inputs feel more like you're making suggestions than actually controlling the car.

But they look kinda cool, I guess.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #32
Fortis

Drives: 2014 FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
In SC we pay $300 max for sales tax, but we make up for it in having to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 yearly in property taxes.
You pay $450/year for property tax?? Consider yourself lucky... I pay about $2800/year in property taxes for my townhouse.
Fortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #33
Burninator
Trogdor ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
You pay $450/year for property tax?? Consider yourself lucky... I pay about $2800/year in property taxes for my townhouse.
That is just for the car. Housing property tax is another separate tax.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #34
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Overall, your driving inputs feel more like you're making suggestions than actually controlling the car.
Great line. Brings up memories of driving an old, old Jag sedan well past its prime - a loaner when my dad had his Porsche in for repairs. Took a parkway on-ramp at about half the speed I would do it in the Porsche and just about went flying over the guardrail.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:34 AM   #35
Evil Jesus

Drives: '13 FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
"Boxter"
Evil Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:25 AM   #36
Demotic

Drives: 2013 FR-S, IS-300, 2004 VW R3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It is entirely possible to get close to that number. If I didn't purchase extras or accessories with mine, it would have been under $26k after tax & dealer fees (not including financing interest). Just depends on where you live and what you can haggle down with the dealer.

As far as under 25k? Bout the only way you could possibly get that number is with the grad or military discounts but even then it would probably go over 25k.
sticker price for TRD package: $27,000
9.5% Sales Tax: $2500
Registration and delaer fees: $900
Interest at %2.99

SO yeah....
Demotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #37
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
wait run it back. Jeep Wrangler.

25k, are you kidding me? The wranglers at our dealer here, I've never seen one under 35k new. Some of them are in the 40k's.

And for Chrysler garbage too.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #38
ProjectGT86

Drives: Fire Storm Red Slush box gt86/frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCharged View Post
You suck brah... Thanks for pointing this out, but that's not the point.. the point is that Subaru has been screwing over Canadians for years. Also you can't buy a 2015 just yet.

But it is a fun fact that they are lowering the price over here to be reasonable considering exchange rates. The lawsuits may have helped..,.

http://www.ucanimport.com/lawsuit.aspx

and that's just one example, there are similar lawsuits in other provinces.
False, I know of 3 people who are currently driving a 2015 WRX In western MA
ProjectGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #39
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Drives: 14 Hot Lava FR-S
Quote:
...Just depends on where you live and what you can haggle down with the dealer.
Am I missing something here? When I went to look at an FR-S at my local Toyota dealer the sales guy told me that Scions are sold at a "no haggle" list price, so that the buying experience was more user-friendly. When I asked him if they were discounting any non-current models (they had both '13s and '14s in stock) he said something to the effect of "The company sets a fair price and doesn't let us mark them up or sell for less". I should know better than to believe anything a car salesman says, but are people actually getting the dealerships to come down on price?
FlamingRectumSyndrome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #40
Mister

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post
wait run it back. Jeep Wrangler.

25k, are you kidding me? The wranglers at our dealer here, I've never seen one under 35k new. Some of them are in the 40k's.

And for Chrysler garbage too.
Base model 2 door 6 speed soft top is low 20's.
Just checked the site to confirm it is $22,395 MSRP. They can be had for reasonable deals, my father-in-law got his last year for $23k with satellite radio and big tire/wheel package.
They do price way up with options and extra doors focused on creature comforts or off-roading tech, but the base model is very affordable and a hoot to drive.

I find it to be a pretty solid vehicle for what it is, if I had room in the budget I would get one for a weekend driver/bad weather car.
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #41
Burninator
Trogdor ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingRectumSyndrome View Post
Am I missing something here? When I went to look at an FR-S at my local Toyota dealer the sales guy told me that Scions are sold at a "no haggle" list price, so that the buying experience was more user-friendly. When I asked him if they were discounting any non-current models (they had both '13s and '14s in stock) he said something to the effect of "The company sets a fair price and doesn't let us mark them up or sell for less". I should know better than to believe anything a car salesman says, but are people actually getting the dealerships to come down on price?
They can't sell the base car below the set MSRP price, but they can always be haggled down on accessories and extras. I ended up getting the 10 year/100k warranty and 3 year service extension for ~50% off what they initially quoted for the price on them.

The ultramarine I was initially looking at had Toyoguard added already and they were willing to cut $300-400 off the price of the Toyoguard to try to sweeten the deal.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #42
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edboc View Post
CS liked the car. Based on data from owners, they said it wasn't reliable enough for them to recommend it.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/scion/fr-s.htm

Jointly developed with Subaru, the rear-wheel-drive FR-S features a 2.0-liter four-cylinder teamed with a choice of a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. Its low curb weight and optimal weight distribution give it super-agile handling and balance at its limits. In corners the car turns in promptly with virtually no body lean. The steering is well weighted, with decent feedback, and the Scion has a slightly more compliant ride than the BRZ. Inside, the cabin is relatively plain, with well-bolstered sport seats, but the stiff ride and elevated noise can be taxing, and the vestigial rear seats are best left for cargo. We cannot recommend the FR-S due to below average reliability.
How could there possibly be enough data collected at this point to assess "reliability"?
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote