follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Tacticalpanda

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Burning smell and white smoke

So I just bought a 2013 FRS. I took it out yesterday for some more spirited driving and when I stopped I smelled burnt rubber. Looked under the car and didn't see any leaks nor do I have any in my driveway/garage where the car has been parked. Looked at the wires and didn't see any touching or melting.
Drove it again today and got the same smell when I parked at work. Opened the hood and noticed some white smoke coming from this area in the below photo. its the front passengers side. Looked like it was coming from the wiring. Didn't investigate to much as the engine was still pretty hot. Curious if anyone knows whats causing this. Since I bought this as a private sale I was going to have it checked out this week any how.
Attached Images

Tacticalpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not sure specifically what's causing your issue... there's really no way for anyone to tell without examining the vehicle. My guess though would be that there is a fluid leak which is dripping on the exhaust manifold and that is what is burning/causing the smoke. In any case, this is probably a good lesson into why you should ALWAYS have a pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified mechanic before buying a used car. Since you're now taking it in to a shop, they should be able to identify the issue and diagnose it.

2013's had more issues than other model years since it was the first year of release, so it may also be worthwhile for you to review the TSBs and Recalls published on this forum and check your VIN number against the recall database.

Most common issue with these cars that /might/ cause your symptoms would be a leaking cam plate seal or leaking timing cover leading to oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold. The timing cover is kind of a PITA to fix so it's best to probably have a shop do it, if it's the cam plate you can replace it yourself with an aftermarket cam plate which has a better seal design than the factory cam plate and it's an easy repair.

Best of luck to you, update us when you know what the cause is.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Tacticalpanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I'm not sure specifically what's causing your issue... there's really no way for anyone to tell without examining the vehicle. My guess though would be that there is a fluid leak which is dripping on the exhaust manifold and that is what is burning/causing the smoke. In any case, this is probably a good lesson into why you should ALWAYS have a pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified mechanic before buying a used car. Since you're now taking it in to a shop, they should be able to identify the issue and diagnose it.

2013's had more issues than other model years since it was the first year of release, so it may also be worthwhile for you to review the TSBs and Recalls published on this forum and check your VIN number against the recall database.

Most common issue with these cars that /might/ cause your symptoms would be a leaking cam plate seal or leaking timing cover leading to oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold. The timing cover is kind of a PITA to fix so it's best to probably have a shop do it, if it's the cam plate you can replace it yourself with an aftermarket cam plate which has a better seal design than the factory cam plate and it's an easy repair.

Best of luck to you, update us when you know what the cause is.

Thanks. I'm dropping it off today to get a Post Purchase Inspection. Got a pretty good deal (depending on the repairs) and budgeting for around $1k in repairs if needed. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
That radiator hose looks aftermarket.. Did they leave you any information about what they knew was wrong with it, or recent things they've fixed?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
You can actually see the black crud collecting near the dipstick on the timing cover. Usually that's the result of oil leak+dirt buildup. I have a timing cover leak on the driver's side and it produces the same stuff.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm gonna go with timing cover leak too. That's what the bottom of mine looked like and it created a lot of white smoke too.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
Tacticalpanda

Thanks for the responses. Ill let you know what they say.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
There is the possibility that the dealer had the engine cleaned and there is a residue that is being burned off. It looks very clean for a 13.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
Tacticalpanda

Got a call and its the timing seal and valve cover gasket seal. Going to have it fixed and have the spark plugs changed.

Also recommending timing chain change as well. I thought that they dont go bad?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacticalpanda View Post
Got a call and its the timing seal and valve cover gasket seal. Going to have it fixed and have the spark plugs changed.

Also recommending timing chain change as well. I thought that they dont go bad?
How many miles on the car?

I would probably take it to someone else at that suggestion......
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #11
Tacticalpanda

Just over 60k.

He said he would recommend it because hes already in there and would save on labor. But im hesitent cause its an 800 part almost.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #12
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
You know the old saying, if it's not broken... glad you found the source of your issue. I'd be hesitant to let anyone touch the timing chain without hearing significant lash or rattle.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Tacticalpanda

Im thinking im going to pass on the timing chain. He said hed do it cause hes in there so id save on labor. But its 2 hours of labor so id save about 200 this. But if doesnt need to be fixed id be spending another 800. Seems like.ill risk it for now.

Going to get another quote...i just saw the invoice and the price per spark plug is crazy.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I would highly recommend not messing with engine timing unless you have a reason. A timing chain is not like a timing belt, it does not have an identified maintenance interval in which you're supposed to change it and timing is critically important to engine operation. I'd honestly be wary of using a mechanic that suggested that.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-09-2018), strat61caster (10-10-2018), Summerwolf (10-09-2018)