follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #15
jordan7831

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Megaweb is awesome, especially for car people. A lot of new stuff (kei cars, regular cars, japan spec cars. At the time i went, October 2018, I got a glimpse of the Neptune blue 86 before it was available here, and a lightly moded orangish 2019 corolla hatchback which looked quite nice. Also the new crown, a GR 86, an LFA racecar (i think it was the 24hr nurburgring LFA from before the car was officially released to production).
Theres a go kart track there (it was closed for renovation at the time), theres also a driving course you can sign on to test drive a bunch of Japanese spec cars (I think it you had to sign up prior to going to megaweb though. I didn't do it but I wish I actually did. Next time I go im definitely going to sign up...would love to drive an Alphard/Vellfire, Mark X, or a Crown), I saw the FT1 concept there. Strangely there wasn't any Lexus products there aside from that LFA racecar.

Theres also a history museum area where you can see a lot of rally history (rally spec Toyotas are there), older car history (not just Toyotas, even some non-Japanese cars), Race history (Toyota race cars, like a race spec MK4 Supra), etc. A 2000GT is located there, so you get to see one in person.
There was also a ride simulator as if you were in the driver's seat of various cars (rally car, race car, off road truck) and the seats moved to simulate movement. The whole thing was only 10 minutes or so, but I had a smile on my face the entire time.
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
yurikaze

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS (CBS), AE86 GT-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just hop a train to Odaiba. That痴 where you値l find Megaweb and the Toyota history museum (be sure to check out both floors,) as well as SuperAutobacs and the Gundam statue. Also be sure to find Yodabashi camera in Akihabara, there痴 a whole floor devoted to models and die casts, as well as an awesome food court on the top floor.
spike021 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
Sasquachulator

Drives: 2016 Scion iM, 2017 BMW X1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post
There was also a ride simulator as if you were in the driver's seat of various cars (rally car, race car, off road truck) and the seats moved to simulate movement. The whole thing was only 10 minutes or so, but I had a smile on my face the entire time.

yeah theres more there than I was able to experience.
A lot of the interactive stuff was closed when i went due to the some kind of event happening the day before. Bad timing on my part lol.

The only VR simulator I experienced was a "Toyota Safety Sense" demo of sorts. You just drove a Prius along a road and experienced the Toyota Safety Sense functions as the road conditions were presented to you. The seat still moved and all that and it was still fun. It did track your time so I could drive it to try to get the best time.

As I was waiting in line we get to watch the other people drive it and this one guy absolutely sucked, kept crashing at every turn lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #18
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 5,640 Times in 2,827 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I beg to differ. Now I’ve only been to Japan once but for one thing everybody has different preferences of what they enjoy seeing.

Also as far as Megaweb being entirely Toyota, I’d disagree. I was just there two months ago. While I can’t recall how long the exhibition is for there was a most excellent one on the history of rally while I was there. Yeah, most of the cars covered in that exhibit were Toyota but they also had Subaru and Mitsubishi stuff.

I had no clue any of that would be there and I had a fantastic time.
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing about... Mega Web is a Toyota showcase. Dealers in Japan are same as dealers in the US except they may have some Japan-only cars. More importantly, some of the dealer networks (namely Toyota) only sell certain segments of a maker's lineup, although this is changing: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...ships-in-Japan

Mega Web is separate from the History Garage/Garage Grease/WRC display in the Venus Fort area. It's the same complex but two separate exhibits.

Personally, I prefer Garage Grease. I go there to update my 1/43 die cast car collection. Every once in a while they have some exotic/rare car parked outside... I got really lucky and saw the Toyota GT-One (TS020) in the flesh 10 years ago.

Tokyo has a lot of car-related stuff to do, you simply have to budget time to get to them. Only Nissan Heritage Collection requires advance reservation, almost everywhere else is open to the public.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #19
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,134 Times in 707 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Piff skip looking at cars.
Try out Soaplands.
Yep your welcome.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #20
jbsali

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you're going to Mega Web, you should strongly consider going to the TeamLab Borderless Exhibit. Its right next door and its probably one of the biggest highlights in Tokyo right now.

There's also the Glion Museum which is reasonably close. I'm planning the remainder of my trip and picked the following car related highlights: Fun2Drive, Glion Museum, STI Museum, Mega Web.
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:43 PM   #21
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 19,088 Times in 10,600 Posts
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Piff skip looking at cars.
Try out Soaplands.
Yep your welcome.