follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2017, 04:46 AM   #715
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
On the 1 hand, sure. (Esp the bitching).
And I get it that street cars generally have plenty of power for what we do 99.9999% of the time.

But if everyone was satisfied there would never be progress so new mods, or fun with flexfuel and water-meth......
To put it in perspective, they were able to privately fund over 30million dollars to build a world class museum in or near Cape Town recently.

If the Supra is under fire and never makes a comeback, the development of a 2020 BRZ STi could cost upwards of that. Our Globe and Mail brought up the conundrum of a common theme, to what the price of admission should be for a fully functioning or weathered down commoner. I'm talking about male and female maybe where occasionally she pays.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #716
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Now we have the RA coming, which shares a lot in common with the S207 and has at least a 10hp bump... but now that's not enough because the car needs at least 350. Probably because the Focus RS has 350? But why are people so obsessed with a single number?

The current 305hp STI has published 0-60 and 1/4 miles lower than the RS, and that's where that number has any significance. So why does it specifically need 50 more? It doesn't. Should the day come when Subaru gives a 350hp STI though, the same kids that can barely afford their base WRX without their parent cosigning will be the first to speak up and say how it needs 400.
One issue is that the type RA will be a limited model, while the Focus RS is available for everyone that wants it. Another thing is that there isn't anything special about a single number (i.e., the 350), but you have to watch what the others are doing and be competitive. Golf R and Focus RS are on the same class with STI and offer more. It's not only about power or in general numbers. The RS can be very tail happy with the drift mode, which is not the same with the STI no matter how much you try to play with its DCCD. The same holds with the Golf R and its premium quality.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #717
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
it really hasn't. Subaru has changed the tune so much to meet emissions the sti ej is a ticking time bomb. Far too many totally stock cars have ringland failures.

That shows how much I know about STis I guess (very little). I always thought the ringland issues were resolved around 2006-2007.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Focus RS already though, and not just about the headgaskets. Are people still having issues with the differential overheating easily? I wouldn't pay 40k for a Focus until Ford starts to iron out these issues.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #718
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
if it had 10 less hp on the brz, I still would be the fastest car on the road because really, almost no one can drive. 71 mph is really the limit on most roads, and huge boring interestates it is 80 mph. The car has great acceleration if you know how to drive. If you know how to drive. IF you know how to.... drive.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (09-25-2017), Tcoat (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #719
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
if it had 10 less hp on the brz, I still would be the fastest car on the road because really, almost no one can drive. 71 mph is really the limit on most roads, and huge boring interestates it is 80 mph. The car has great acceleration if you know how to drive. If you know how to drive. IF you know how to.... drive.
I never understood this. Why do you need the V8's etc. when you have these ridiculous speed limits.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (09-25-2017), ~el~jefe~ (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #720
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
One issue is that the type RA will be a limited model, while the Focus RS is available for everyone that wants it. Another thing is that there isn't anything special about a single number (i.e., the 350), but you have to watch what the others are doing and be competitive. Golf R and Focus RS are on the same class with STI and offer more. It's not only about power or in general numbers. The RS can be very tail happy with the drift mode, which is not the same with the STI no matter how much you try to play with its DCCD. The same holds with the Golf R and its premium quality.
Agreed, that was a bit of a strawman argument I think.

People weren't asking for a more powerful STI that cost more and was only available in limited numbers. People were asking for a more powerful STI, period. Because maintaining the same power level for over a decade is a bit lame. Hell, even Honda stopped doing that.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #721
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I never understood this. Why do you need the V8's etc. when you have these ridiculous speed limits.
Because Americans have been bred to think More HP for many decades.

86 South Africa (09-25-2017), nikitopo (09-25-2017), strat61caster (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #722
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
it really hasn't. Subaru has changed the tune so much to meet emissions the sti ej is a ticking time bomb. Far too many totally stock cars have ringland failures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
That shows how much I know about STis I guess (very little). I always thought the ringland issues were resolved around 2006-2007.
Newer cars suffer much more from spun bearings rather than ringland failure.

I keep hearing "far too many" but when you combine the 15+ WRX & STI, the failure rate is like 2.5%. Out of all of those, how many of them are stock? Out of those, how many are driven by retards?

People just blow it out of proportion, for whatever reason.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (09-25-2017), strat61caster (09-25-2017), Tcoat (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #723
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry but I want my 86 to have a jet turbine attached to the roof for the next update out the door pls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

Old 09-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #724
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
The RS can be very tail happy with the drift mode, which is not the same with the STI no matter how much you try to play with its DCCD.
Chuck the RS into a corner and it lifts the inside rear like any other FWD econo-box, except it's carrying 3,400 lbs. It's a nifty package for sure, but not some miracle of engineering.

This is supposedly with the stock tires... add grip and well, I can tell you first hand you can see it on three wheels from 50 feet away.

I'd be surprised if the Golf was any different (with more intrusive traction control that's next to impossible to disable), and every Subaru I've seen at autox understeers like a pig unless it's been modified significantly or handled very delicately in the corners (yes even 86's). If I had $40k for a fun car I'd be waiting for the markups to come off the Civic Type R's and get in the driver's seat of one of those, better power:weight than the STI/Golf R and no pretensions about what the chassis is like the FoRS.

Even with some mythical BRZ STI I'd be very surprised if it came with anything worthwhile as I've already sunk a few thousand into modifying a base car to my liking, I'd rather start over with a used '13 FR-S for <1/2 the money.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #725
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Newer cars suffer much more from spun bearings rather than ringland failure.

I keep hearing "far too many" but when you combine the 15+ WRX & STI, the failure rate is like 2.5%. Out of all of those, how many of them are stock? Out of those, how many are driven by retards?

People just blow it out of proportion, for whatever reason.

Like I said before, I don't know much about STis or Subaru in general, but I have always heard good things regarding their customer service.

Sure, you might be one of the unlucky few that develops engine issues, but from my experience it seems like Subaru is more willing to back their product than Ford. I could be totally wrong though. I've heard horror stories about the Ecoboost Mustangs too. Not sure how blown out of proportion that is though.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #726
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And ain't nobody got time fo' dat learning how to drive crap when I can just mash the gas pedal.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #727
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
errr Civic Type R is a good amount faster then RS or golf R....... PPl look into 0-whatever number too much, the other 2 have AWD to help them launch for god's sake?
Rolling Pull Type R will have both beat, not sure about STI,

There is a reason why focus RS only does 8:06 on the ring while STI is barely below 8mins.........Civic Type R.......... Ya.....7:43..............

smh general public

PS: not saying focus RS is slow or anything cuz 86 with race tire you still wont be anywhere near those numbers... focus fanboy don't come to find me.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #728
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Sure, you might be one of the unlucky few that develops engine issues, but from my experience it seems like Subaru is more willing to back their product than Ford. I could be totally wrong though. I've heard horror stories about the Ecoboost Mustangs too. Not sure how blown out of proportion that is though.
My experience with Ford has been trash. My wife's Focus ST has had a couple issues and every experience at a dealership getting something taken care of has been a giant headache. It seems the only thing they've been able to do well is routine service.

Subaru has its fair share of horror stories too. But I suppose its all semantics in a way.

People are more naturally inclined to post their issues and gripes than their positive experiences. Same applies with the 86/BRZ. I remember when the car came out, people were talking about how the manual transmissions were ticking time bombs and were bound to blow up. There was maybe 10 people who experienced a failure? But then it gets blown way out of proportion and people think every one of them are going to go.

But when you take into account how many were sold within the first 6 months and how many people had an issue, it was like a fraction of 1% lol.

Just seems to be the way things go
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote